Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Read Gita in school or leave India: Karnataka education minister

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by Hembo, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hembo

Hembo OLD MOD STAR MEMBER

No, he is an atheist born into Hindu parents, probably. But he is not a Muslim.

1 person likes this.
  2. abirbec04

abirbec04 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

I would differ with most by saying that I want all religious teachings to be taught in school. The Indian child should be exposed to all different viewpoints and only then he would grow up to be tolerant to all. This selective teachings of Islamic treatise in Muslim Schools and Christian in Catholic Schools and Hindu teachings in Saraswati Sishu Mandirs is not what it should. Teach everything in every school.

3. rocky.idf

rocky.idf BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    Bangladesh
    Just because a Minister of a State tells someone to leave his/her country, can he/she do it? How? Who will accept him/her? What about the mechanics? The Minister should have said, learn Gita or we will shoot you. That would have been more feasible.

4. xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx

xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx Major SENIOR MEMBER

Nice Advise Weirdoooo.....:crazy:

5. Galaxy

Galaxy Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Good decision. All Indians should know about "Gita". If we all will not learn here in India then where ?? :nono:

Nothing is wrong. It's all about "Way of Life" and tells very good things in life. Knowledge is Good. :rolleyes:

6. abirbec04

I just don't understand why people are so worked up over this. Gita is not, I repeat not a religious text. It is a supreme philosophical treatise, the likes of which the world has not seen ever since. The philosophy of Gita is copied by everyone from Budhha to Mahavira to others. It has influenced many a great man. Just as the Greeks teach Illiad and Odyssey as epics and we teach Mahabharata and Ramayana as epics, Gita should be taught as part of Mahabharata, because thats what it is.

This whole controversy would not have arisen if the BJP MLA was educated enough to offer a cogent defense of his thesis about teaching Gita, instead of issuing threats. Sometimes these MLAs in their effort to being populist just sound plain dumb. :lol:

7. Star Wars

Star Wars Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Gita should never be forced upon the population... One should accept religion and read it because of his/her liking ..Forcing Gita on someone is just an EPIC fail....

psst: i do have a copy of gita...am yet to begiin reading it..Bought it yesterday :D

2 people like this.
  8. abirbec04

Read it - you will change your stance very soon. :lol:

Gita is not a religious text. How many times will I say this. It is the collective accumulation of philosophical ethos through centuries put together as a compendium in the form of Gita, which in turn is only 18 chapters (700 verses) of Mahabharata, the greatest Epic in this world. If you can teach Mahabharata without any problem, what is the problem with Gita as it is part of the same book. Are you suggesting that Mahabharata should be taught by excluding these 18 chapters? :lol:

The problem arose when the BJP MLA with obviously no knowledge about the significance of Gita in Indian philosophy started blabbering his populist statements. FYI - Gita is taught in German schools and in US as part of the Philosophy curriculum.

9. xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx

xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx Major SENIOR MEMBER

I prefer not Forcing any Book on any one... & i know most will agree with me...

10. Karthic Sri

Karthic Sri <b>STAR MEMBER of the MONTH</b> SENIOR MEMBER

Is there any chance of he being quoted out of context - a crime our media is very famous for ?

1 person likes this.
  11. Hembo

Hembo OLD MOD STAR MEMBER

I bought mine 5 years ago and still to start.. :sad:

12. Galaxy

Galaxy Captain SENIOR MEMBER

People are making it complicated with difference thoughts. He Said, Everyone should follow Gita and those who can't should leave India. Even, If he said Nothing Wrong in following our culture.

" Gita " is not exactly a religious book. It's about Oldest Culture of India and Way of Life.

I don't find anything wrong learning those stuffs.

I studied lots of Buddhism even i am not Buddhist, BUT I consider Buddhism as my own culture same like Hinduism. It's about India. I hope people understand this concept although India is full of Pseudo Secularist. :wacko:

13. Tshering22

Tshering22 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

I know that politicians can be big ass**** but he didn't say anything to kick people out for that. We're not a Muslim majority mulla country. There is nothing wrong in respecting a holy book. Having stayed in northern India myself, I've come to read and respect the Gita just as Tripitaka or other Buddhist scrolls. There's no harm in respecting.

1 person likes this.
  14. uptotrix

uptotrix Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Vedic philosophy has no reference to Hinduism therefore Gita cannot be a religious text but it's a bad idea to make it compulsory because Gita does say 'do not disturb the faith of others'.

15. Mr.Ryu

Mr.Ryu Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Thats not true 100% my cousin sister studied in St.Joshep from 4-8th now she is in 10th in idle matric school and she refuse to keep bindi during her 8th std when probed by their parents repeatedly she told her teacher(sister in school) told various story why not to keep bindi and believe me the story are anti Hindu.

Believe or don't guys but it's happening.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.