Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Read Gita in school or leave India: Karnataka education minister

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by Hembo, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Ryu

Mr.Ryu Captain SENIOR MEMBER

This is joke Gita is great i am not against it or any religious text's but not in SCHOOLS and most importantly not in Curriculum as it becomes compulsory then for all.

Rather schools can keep a special class after school hour for say 45Min and those student who are interested can join who has the problem for that too should be kicked out of INDIA. all text from BG,B,Q can be included as the student wish

2. abirbec04

abirbec04 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

I have studied in a Catholic school all my pre-college life. There were Bible History classes and they were compulsory and we had to offer prayers in the School Chapel everyday morning before the Assembly started. The assembly itself was overtly Chrisian in nature. I have seen and done that for 12 years of my life. I didn't hate it because my mother is a Sankrit scholar and I had the good fortune of studying the Gita and many of the Hindu scriptures since when I was a small boy and I found no problems with knowing either of them. Aesthetically speaking Bible and Gita are not that different but Philosophically it is a different story altogether. There is no harm in teaching Gita as part of the Philosophy curriculum where it belongs. It is probably the greatest philosophical treatise ever written and that it originated in our country is a matter of immense pride, not of ridicule and animosity.

Greeks are Orthodox Christian, Romans are Catholic but they read about Socrates and Plato and Zeus, Athena etc. Does that automatically somehow change their Christian viewpoint? Ridiculous thesis.

I am proud that I read Gita, still don't understand many parts of it, but will strive to read it again and again to understand it fully. I would urge everyone else to read Gita as well just for curiosity sake because as it turns out most people haven't read it and is commenting on it. This is like Salman Rushdie's "Satanic Verses", without reading a single word of it the Ayatollah was up against it and still if you ask any Muslim friends they will say it is a Satanic book, ask them, have you read it, they will say no. So, if you haven't read it, how the hell do you know? Just because Ayatollah said so. :lol:

Teaching Gita as a glorification of Hinduism is not what it should be used for and it shouldn't even be taught in the lower classes as children can't even understand 90% of the things written in Gita. Include it as part of the philosophy course and only for students of the 7th standard and higher.

3. MilSpec

MilSpec Mod MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Amazing .. people are fighting over gita, bible and quran in school whereas they should pushing for ensuring Linear Differential Equations and Laplace Transforms in the 10 + 2 curriculum. Rather than introducing Shlokas and biblical history we should concentrate on ensuring we study applied chemistry and applied physics in the classrooms.

Studying shri krishna or Prophet muhhamad will not develop your intellect and your future as learning Engineering Mechanics and Applied Electronics will... Education system is geared towards advancement of students intellect.. please don't induce religious BS in the minds of students.. The effects of shoving religion in young minds will only create religious lunatics, evidence of which is pretty abundant int the neighborhood.

1 person likes this.
  4. Osiris

Osiris Major SENIOR MEMBER

Notice to state & union govts on ''Bhagavad Gita'' circular

Bangalore, Jul 14 (PTI): Karnataka High Court today ordered issue of notices to the state and union governments on a state government circular on teaching of 'Bhagavad Gita' in primary and higher secondary schools. Justice Abdul Nazeer ordered issue of notices after hearing a petition filed by Karnataka State Minorities Educational Institutions Managements Federation, challenging the June 9 2011 circular. The court posted the petition for further hearing to July 21 The Petitioner submitted the Federation is a registered association to safeguard interests of Minorities Educational Institutions and that educational institutions run by it's members are protected under Art. 29 and 30 of the Constitution in the light of the Supreme Court judgement in T M A Pai Foundation Vs State of Karnataka case. It said Members of the Petitioner Association are governed by Karnataka Education Act 1983.As per section 141 of the Act, the Act or rules made under it are not applicable to any minority educational institutions to the extent they are "inconsistent" with rights guaranteed under Art 30 of the Constitution. The petitioner contended the circular was contrary to the rights guaranteed to minority Institutions,which neither the Union nor the state government had a right to deviate from. In the absence of specific provision/section in Karnataka Education Act, the respondent cannot force the educational institutions to teach Bhagavad Gita. If it is allowed, then minority institutions may also teach Quran/Bible in schools where Hindus are also admitted as students. "It will go against the Constitution and also affect the religous sentiments of the minority and may create communal tension in schools", the petitioner stated. The petitioner sought a direction to stay operation of the circular, in relation to the Federation's members pending disposal of the petition.

Notice to state & union govts on ''Bhagavad Gita'' circular, IBN Live News

5. Osiris

this is a private initiative by Swarnavalli Mutt ,no government funding for this ...some Christian groups and pastors came with protest and created controversy ..

6. Osiris

comment from Congress party : teaching Bhagavad gita is imposing saffron ideology on students.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  7. RoYaN

RoYaN Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

in 11th and 12th I had to read vachanas which talked about the superiority of Vishnu above others and how praying to him will lead to moksha:tdown:

8. abirbec04

abirbec04 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

:rofl: they are becoming more predictable by the day :rofl:

Actually I think Congress should leave India. Wouldn't that be great folks. :sarcastic:

9. xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx

xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx Major SENIOR MEMBER

U might be 16 or 17 years old then... U had enough understanding to Complain against it... Why didnt u complain if u didnt like reading it...

10. xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx

I am a Athiest... :biggthumpup:

11. Galaxy

Galaxy Captain SENIOR MEMBER

"Bhagavad Gita" should be made compulsory for every India to read irrespective of religion. The book is all about Culture, Ethics, moral Value and Way of Life. Everyone should read. It's not Teaching Jihad. Those who are opposing should be send to Bay of Bengal or Arabian Sea. It's congress old propaganda which is Anti-Hindu.

12. RoYaN

I did My principle told me read it or get out of coll i had paid my fees and I had no choice.
    It is as per the state prescribed curriculum College had my original 10 marks card so i could not even quit the college and Join CBSE11th or ISC all state board colls had that syllabubs!!
    Since they had my marks card i had no choice!!:cray:

13. xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx

Which state Curriculum where u studying...

14. RoYaN

Karnataka state syllabubs for Pre univ education.

15. december

december FULL MEMBER

In Convent school it is not mandatory for all students,.......
    I stududied in convent school, even some of my christian friends didinot partcipate in the class...........its there wish............In a public school u cant force any religious text on some one,,,,,,thats why our country is called secular

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.