Recess - The Chill Corner

Discussion in 'Members Room' started by SpArK, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Levina

Levina Admin- Twitter Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    Oh you have underestimated him.
    Oncologist!
    I mean that's some very serious job.
    Being a doctor must be one of the most respected jobs ever. Isn't it?

Wolfpack and Grevion like this.
  2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Each Department has their own role! :)

Grevion and Levina like this.
  3. Levina

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    I'm sure sir.
    But seriously hats off to you guys. A good doctor's comforting and reassuring words are at times more effective than medicines. Specially in the section that you handle.

Why don't you pen down some experiences??

Mercury and Grevion like this.
  4. Wolfpack

Country Flag:
    India
    No Sir in between friends! :D
    Deal with mostly Breast cancer,Thyroid cancer, GIT cancer etc. Many experiences,but you feel happy when you are able to save someone ,that is the most satisfying thing in your job.

Levina and Grevion like this.
  5. Grevion

Grevion Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Oops! my bad, Sorry.
    It is, although i believe every job done with sincerity and dedication is respectable.
    But yes the job of a medical consultant and a surgeon are some of the most important and difficult jobs and are a key to a healthy society.

Levina and Wolfpack like this.
  6. Levina

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    Lolz
    Mostly I address ppl as sir when I am being sarcastic but this time I was being respectful. :)

I'm sure. :tup:

As a doctor do you believe in this universal force called God?

Wolfpack likes this.
  7. Wolfpack

Country Flag:
    India
    There are times when you pray,because some things are out of hand, call it a miracle of god or Human resilience. I seen people who were a gone/hopeless case, do well, after their near and dear ones did some prayers and rituals.
    Yes,i do believe in a thing called God or Universal force.

Grevion, AbRaj and Levina like this.
  8. Levina

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    My aunt is a cancer survivor. Thyroid cancer.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    Grevion and Wolfpack like this.
  9. Wolfpack

Country Flag:
    India
    Thyroid cancer has good survival rate if detected early,depends on the type of cancer , Total Thyroidectomy will mostly cure it.
    Same case with Breast Cancer if detected early,has good prognosis and 10 year survival rate.

Grevion and AbRaj like this.
  10. Wolfpack

Country Flag:
    India
    I will tell you a recent case of another friend, whose mother had breast cancer,with metastasis to lymph nodes in the neck and axillary region, His mother didn't undergo surgery,Chemo or radiotherapy, he chose to take his mother for Ayurvedic treatment and as per what he says,she is doing fine now. I find it hard to believe, because we are taught that other forms of medicine are useless or fake( im not talking about Ayurveda but other forms of Alternative medicine). Nevertheless,it is good if his mother recovers fully.

11. Levina

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    Since my Aunty had thyroid cancer my mother was petrified when she spotted a swelling around my neck. Took me to the doctor immediately only to know that it was some sort of puberty goitre. But hey it still stays with me even when I'm way out of my puberty. Lol
    From whatever is visible in my twitter DP I don't think you can figure it out but I hope it's common.
    Can cancer be really passed through genes? I'm sure it doesn't get passed from mother to her foetus. Any other possibility? I have heard of Angelina Julie's case where she got Mastectomy done because her mom and grand mom had the same form of cancer.

I had this lady in my family who had breast cancer and had got mastectomy done, later she switched to Ayurveda and stopped all the allopathic medicines.
    At one stage she was recovering and happy and then they came to know cancer had spread to vital organs in her body and that it was too late. She's no more.
    After her case,I have started to get a feeling that not all forms of cancer can be cured by alternative therapies. May be I'm wrong.

But since you are someone who believes in Ayurveda and practises allopathy don't you feel a conflict within you at times?

Aunty had some trouble swallowing I guess and that's when they detected she had thyroid cancer.
    And yes it was detected.
    It's been more than 20years now.
    She's happy and healthy . Touchwood!

Grevion and Wolfpack like this.
  12. Wolfpack

Country Flag:
    India
    Well, there are benign nodules(which are confined only to that organ or part and don't spread) and then there is Metastatic cancer( which spreads rapidly to other parts of the body)
    It depends on what type of Goitre it is, better do a Recheck and see,perhaps a Second opinion would be nice.Can't see any goitre from your DP.:lol:
    Cancer can be hereditary especially the Breast cancer, if any womans Mother or Grandmother or close relative had breast cancer,then their risk factor for Breast Cancer is high. It is passed through Mutations in BRCA1 , BRCA2 genes that suppress Tumors.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hereditary_breast–ovarian_cancer_syndrome
    https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/genetics/brca-fact-sheet

Regaridng, the lady whom you said had got treated with Ayurveda after Mastectomy/
    Depends on what type of Mastectomy is done,there are many types,perhaps she thought the cancer was cured, There is a 5 and 10 year survival rate in cancers. That is what i worry because, some people think the Cancer has gone,when in fact,it might be spreading to other organs silently, Periodic checks for people above 40 years is a must. A yearly check at least.

I am also baffled with my friends statement, i doubt he does not know the whole picture and is relying on the Ayurvedic doctors word, a CT scan will show the whole picture,but my friend didn't listen to my advice for surgery( perhaps due to cost),so i can't do anything about it. I am afraid it might be silently spreading.

I try to keep an open mind in every aspect,if there is something good or valuable to be learned from anything,then why not learn it. Ayurveda can cure some diseases and Common Ailments,but i am skeptical about it when it comes to Surgery related aspects,like cancers.

13. Levina

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    It was detected when I was 14.
    So I guess it's harmless isn't it?
    Any chances of benign ones transforming themselves later?
    If so then I'm in trouble. Lol

Hahaha
    Yeah I know. May be in the previous one it was visible but then u wld not notice it in my pictures. In real life many ppl ask me what's the swelling on my neck region?
    Not that it's very visible but still it exists.
    Doc do you charge online consultation fees??? :p

Oh!
    That's scary.

Do you mean those who suffer from this form of cancer do not survive beyond 5-10 years???

Hmmm.
    There's not much you can do about it. We can only hope that he's actually recovering.

Same here. :tup:

14. Wolfpack

Country Flag:
    India
    It could also be Thyroglossal Cyst or a benign nodule,if it is visibly showing,then do consult a Endocrinologist for fresh opinion.
    It is good to have a recheck.
    No, i don't charge any consultation fee. :lol:

There is a 5 year Survival and 10 year Survival rate in Cancer, That is how in general Scientific Researchers study cancers and their outcomes.
    For very aggressive cancers like Pancreatic Cancer etc. the survival rate is less than 1 to 1.5 years.There is not much we can do about it in today's Medicine, Even Steve Jobs died due to Pancreatic Cancer within a 1.5 year period.

If there is sufficient evidence to back up, i will believe it,otherwise i am skeptical. But in general common ailments and some chronic diseases like Asthma have seen good cure or relief rates in Ayurveda.
    You know about that Fish Medicine given to Asthmatics in Hyderabad during Monsoon season,its very famous.

15. Levina

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    Thanks Wolfyy.
    Hehehe

That's something I wasn't aware of.

Oh yes!
    I've heard about it.
    It's very famous.

Wolfpack likes this.