Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

RSS instigated assassination bid on first Indian army chief: CIA files

Discussion in 'Indian Army' started by InfoWarrior, Oct 6, 2017.

1. InfoWarrior

InfoWarrior Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    By Agencies -
    Published at: Jan 29, 2017

Share on Facebook

Tweet on Twitter

[​IMG]
    NEW DELHI: In what could be sensational revelations for many Indians and a huge embarrassment for the Modi government, the recently released CIA files have claimed that the rightwing Hindu Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS) had instigated northern army officers to plot an assassination bid on the country’s first army commander Gen K.M. Cariappa, who was from the southern region of Coorg.
    The revelations were first published in the Hindi daily Jansatta on Friday, but this correspondent corroborated the story with the United States Central Intelligence Agency files that were recently released under President Barrack Obama’s orders.

“Rift in the officer corps of the Indian army,” was the headline of the redacted file dated June 12, 1950.
    “An attempt to assassinate General Cariappa, Commander in Chief of the Indian Army, was made during the General’s recent inspection tour of East Punjab. Six persons have been sentenced to death in connection with the plot; several high army officers are believed involved,” the CIA noted.

“General Cariappa as a South Indian is resented by Sikh officers of the Indian Army. The RSS is capitalising on the North-South rift among army officers, whom informant considers treacherous and unreliable, to spread dissension. Officers from Travancore, Maharashtra and Madras are invariably loyal to General Cariappa.”

Another file made public, but whose date has been deleted, carries a photocopy of the Bombay-based Blitz weekly, an erstwhile popular tabloid once considered close to Moscow.

It quotes a CIA researcher as struggling to unravel the standoff between Pakistan and India over Kashmir.
    He goes on to ponder if India should opt for temporary military rule as Gen Cariappa had suggested. The general was field marshal in 1965 when he apparently made the remarks. Military officers of both countries went to school together and fought side by side in World War II, the report said. They would be able to resolve the issues dogging them.

According to the Blitz story quoting the CIA researcher, Gen Cariappa had pondered that a short stint of military rule in India would help deal with the communist threat and also tackle regional troubles. The latter issue may have been inspired by his experience in Punjab where he was nearly killed in a plot, which was staged by fellow officers, according to the CIA.

Gen Cariappa belonged to the Coorgi region of proud soldiers, which is now part of the southern state of Karnataka. He is idolised by the Coorgis as a great national hero.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi credits his political moorings to his training as a member of the RSS. He was campaigning in the poll-bound Punjab on Friday. Former army officers have been fielded by several parties in Indian elections.

A former Sikh army chief is one of the candidates for the ruling coalition of Bharatiya Janata Party and Akali Dal in the assembly polls due on Feb 4.

The RSS is the ideological fountainhead of the BJP and it denies periodic charges of having a role in the assassination of Mahatma Gandhi.

https://kashmirmonitor.in/Details/1...tion-bid-on-first-indian-army-chief-cia-files

sangos likes this.
  2. InfoWarrior

Country Flag:
    India
    'RSS tried to sow discord in Army in 1950'
    TNN | Updated: Jan 29, 2017, 06.10 AM IST
    NEW DELHI: The RSS in 1950 worked to stoke discord within the Indian Army allegedly over the leadership of the first Commander-in-Chief K M Cariappa, according to a declassified report.

The two-paragraph wire states that there was an attempt to assassinate Gen Cariappa, whom later became Field Marshal, during a tour of east Punjab and that six people were sentenced to death in connection with the plot.

Claiming Gen Cariappa was resented by Sikh officers, the wire says, "RSS is capitalising on the north-south split among Army officers, persuading Sikh officers, whom the informant considers treacherous and unreliable, to spread dissension."

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...cord-in-army-in-1950/articleshow/56845089.cms

3. InfoWarrior

Country Flag:
    India
    6 were hanged in 1950 for attempt to kill General Cariappa: Declassified CIA report
    ShareComment
    To get such articles in your inbox
    Text size: A A A
    January 27, 2017 10:39 IST
    Documents declassified by the US espionage agency, the Central Intelligence Agency have revealed a shocking bit of information regarding an assassination attempt in 1950 on Field Marshal K N Cariappa, who took over as the first Indian Commander in Chief of the Indian Army from British Army officer General Roy Bucher on January 15, 1949.

[​IMG]

"An attempt to assassinate General Cariappa, the commander-in-chief of Indian Army, was made during the General’s recent inspection tour of East Punjab,” said the CIA declassified report, titled "Rift in Officers corps of the Indian Army", filed on June 12, 1950 that was hitherto unknown to the public.

The report is among some 13 million declassified documents, which the CIA have released online. The report was declassified in accordance with the US government’s 1995 executive order that allows automatic declassification of nonexempt historically valuable records 25 years or older.

The "confidential" report states that six people were sentenced to death for making an attempt on the life of Cariappa.

"Six persons have been sentenced to death in connection with the plot; several high army officers are believed to be involved," the report said without identifying those sent to the gallows.

The report also states, "General Cariappa as South Indian is resented by the Sikh officers of the Indian Army. The RSS (Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh) is capitalising on the North-South split among army officers, persuading Sikh officers, whom informant considers treacherous and unreliable, to spread dissension. Officers from Travancore (later Kerala), Madras and Maharashtra are invariable loyal to General Cariappa."

That the US intelligence didn't see Cariappa favourably is reflected clearly in yet another declassified CIA document dated December 15, 1948 which states: "The impending departure of General Sir Roy Bucher, the British officer now commanding the Indian Army, increases the possibility of an open warfare between India and Pakistan. General Bucher, who is to reliquish the office of Comander-in-Chief on August 15, has exerted a moderating influence on Indian military policy and with the cooperation of his British opposite number in Pakistan has kept to a minimum direct encounter between the Indian Army and Pakistan's regular troops in Kashmir."

"His successor, Lieutenant General K M Cariappa, gives the impression of being vain, temperamentally unstable, and lacking sound military judgement; there is a danger that in attempting to give palatable military advice to the Indian government he may fail to give due consideration to all of the military and political factors involved and that he may use his new position to seek the personal glory that a speedy termination of the Kashmir campaign would provide."

General Cariappa was then the General Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Western Command during the Jammu and Kashmir operations.

But could these notes just be tales of fantasy?

The assassination attempt report too is preposterous, Air Marshal (retd) Nanda Cariappa, General Cariappa's son, told Outlook magazine.

"I think it is implausible, I have never heard about it, quite honestly, and nobody I know has ever heard about it. In 1950, one year into being the commander in chief, he was in good terms with the politicians. I can’t think of anybody who would want to bump him off," said Air Marshal (retd) Nanda, who retired from the IAF 20 years ago.

According to I Ramamohan Rao, former Principal Information Officer of the Indian government, said General Butcher had tried his best to tie General Cariappa's hands in 1948 by not approving plans to evict Pakistani 'raiders' from some sensitive areas. General Cariappa, as GOC-in-C, quietly decided to clear the Pakistani raiders from the Jammu-Naushera Axis. He also directed the operations for recapture of Zoji la Drass and Kargil.

"A great deal of credit goes to General Cariappa for making the Indian Army truly Indian. Today, the nation can take pride in the role played by the Army in guarding it against external threats and insurgency promoted by hostile elements."

"Not many remember that Field Marshal Ayub Khan served under General Cariappa in the British Indian Army. When his son Flt. Lt. K. C. "Nanda" Cariappa (who later rose to the rank of an Air Marshal) was taken prisoner after his Hunter aircraft was shot down during the 1965 war, Field Marshal Ayub Khan contacted General Cariappa in Mercara and offered to release his son.

The reply of General Cariappa was: "He is my son no longer... He is the child of this country, a soldier fighting for his motherland like a true patriot. My many thanks for your kind gesture, but I request you to release all or release none. Give him no special treatment," Rao wrote in an edit piece for news agency ANI.

http://www.rediff.com/news/report/s...cariappa-declassified-cia-report/20170127.htm

4. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    I am willing to accept every such theory. Cheats of the nation must not be celebrated as heroes. They deserve only one place and that is being burnt alive. We have problem of Tibet today due to this man whom we call our hero. Remember my post about about MA Arjun Singh. I know the cheats who have been hailed as saviours from the time of Second battle of Panipat.

5. InfoWarrior

Country Flag:
    India
    Is it true that Rana Sanga invited Babur to invade Lodi dynasty in India ? Rana Sanga summoned a demon which engulfed entire Hindu India.

6. Shekhar Singh

Shekhar Singh 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Another, guynextdoor....

7. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    The Afghans in Lodhi's army invited Babur and it was supported by Maharana Sangha who thought that Babur will just plunder North India and Go back. The invite was not for creating a kingdom but for loot and plunder of a very rich territory. Afghans always did that. Even Abdali united all muslims from central Asia to India for loot and plunder of India including Balochies on the invite of Najeeb Khan. But what he got was nothing and ruin. The battle with Marathas cost him the control of Afghanistan and all the tribes which supported him were decimated by Sikhs and Dogras subsequently as they had no man power left to defend themselves. Abdali and his muslim supporters in India lost two generations in Panipat while the Maratha power was nearly intact.

8. _Anonymous_

_Anonymous_ 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Who were the 6 hanged ?

I've searched online and it doesn't throw up any details pertaining to the case you've highlighted .

9. Paliwal Warrior

Paliwal Warrior Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Arey Bhai forget Rana sanga

This discussion is about national RSS

Or assasin RSS

10. InfoWarrior

Country Flag:
    India
    I know but things didn't go as Maharana planned. Hindu Kingdoms hated bitterly and fought among themselves, invaders took advantage of this.

If the Jats and other north Indian Hindus had sided with Marathas, third battle of panipath would have been a victory. This map in your profile pic @Shekhar Singh would have been a reality. We might have become a superpower by now. In all our History only Ashok has achieved something. This is why I believe British colonization phase was good for India. If India had become Independent in 1857, India would have become fragmented. Islamic invaders would have again taken over India. British moulded us Hindus into what we are today. Even the Islamic invasions have moulded us.

Whatever doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger.

11. InfoWarrior

Country Flag:
    India
    I don't know, found this news while searching online. Maybe there will be some clues in his book.

Book on Cariappa released
    December 16, 2007 00:00 IST
    Updated: April 29, 2011 17:48 IST

Staff Reporter

BANGALORE: Air Marshal K.C. Cariappa (Retd.) on Saturday said the idea behind writing a book on his father Field Marshal K.M. Cariappa was to address a few misconceptions about the great warrior in the minds of the Kodavas.

Air Marshal Cariappa was speaking after playwright Girish Karnad released “Field Marshal K.M. Cariappa” brought out by Niyogi Books, here.

One of the misconceptions, Air Marshal Cariappa said, was that the late Field Marshal did not do much for his community, the Kodavas.

However, when Kodagu was merged with the Old Mysore region, the Field Marshal was away and when he came back, he immediately wrote to the then Prime Minister about Kodagu’s separate identity. But, the then Home Minister replied that it was too late to reconsider the decision, the Air Marshal noted.

The second misconception was regarding special status to the Kodavas. His father had, in fact, discussed the issue with some elders 30 years ago, but they felt that Kodavas did not require any special status and they could do well with their merit, Air Marshal Cariappa said.

Unfortunately, the special status issue was being raised now, he regretted.

Publisher Bikash D. Niyogi was present. The book with 200 pages is priced Rs. 1,250.
    http://www.thehindu.com/todays-pape...Book-on-Cariappa-released/article14895842.ece

12. InfoWarrior

Country Flag:
    India
    General K.M. Cariappa , the first Indian Army Chief, wrote an article, significantly in the Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS) mouthpiece Organiser (August 15, 1964), 17 years after Partition alleging that "(Muslim) loyalty seems to be primarily to Pakistan. This is a crime unpardonable. This is also the impression of a large percentage of non-Muslim intellectuals in India. Here is the root cause for there being a none-too-happy feeling towards Muslims by a large percentage of the majority... . This is understandable." The author reminds us that Cariappa contested an election to the Lok Sabha from the Bombay Northwest Constituency with Shiv Sena support and lost. What needs to be added is that he was supported also by some business houses and, indeed advocated military rule in India.
    https://www.countercurrents.org/comm-noorani131003.htm
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Let Muslims of India Declare Themselves – Gen Cariappa
    Leave a reply
    Excerpts from an article by Gen. Cariappa, ( later Field Marshall ) written in 15th Aug 1964 and published in The Organiser,
    [​IMG]
    We are secular country. I regard Muslims as much my brothers and sisters as I do people of all the other communities in India. I meet a wide cross section of them during my frequent travels in the country. I have a large number of good Muslim friends with whom I talk freely on men and matters here. In these talks some have given me, much to my sadness, the impression of their having their feet in two boats- India and Pakistan.
    In this context I make a fervent appeal to all my Muslim brothers and sisters in India to please come out in the open soon and declare, at least to their own conscience whether their loyalty is to India or Pakistan. If to Pakistan, they must pack up lock stock and barrel from India and go to Pakistan at once. Such people have no right to have any claim on even one square inch of our sacred soil. If on other hand it is to India and I know there are Muslims who sincerely and truthfully feel so – they must expose disloyal elements in their community with all speed and get them to quit India. Here then, will be convincing evidence that they are Indians and so would be accepted as such unreservedly by the majority class.
    The partition of India came as the result of the demands of the top leaders of the Muslim League who wanted Pakistan. Now that there is Pakistan, I as a soldier just cannot understand why there should be Muslim League party in India today at all and yet there is a party still functioning here. To me this seems quite wrong.
    So I make this second fervent appeal to our Muslim citizens to abolish the Muslim League in India immediately and set up Associations for the preservation of the great Islamic culture, philosophy, art and so on , as I have suggested earlier. This action will further prove the sincerity of their loyalty to India.
    It is all very well to say that it is the duty and the obligation of our government to look after the safety and security of the minorities in India. I know our government is fully conscious of this duty and is carrying it out. But it is physically not possible for any government to keep an eye on every individual throughout this vast country.
    I appeal to my Hindu brothers and sisters who are the majority class to live up to the traditional and historic greatness of the spirit of tolerance enshrined in our Hindu religion to take into their fold Muslim citizens of India as members of their family, both adjusting the observance of their respective religions and social functions without in any way causing hurt or showing disrespect to each other.
    Full article is at the link below

An article in 1964 by Gen Cariappa, later Field Marshall.

" data-medium-file="https://arisebharat.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/gen-cariappa-15-aug-64-organiser.jpg?w=300&h=201" data-large-file="https://arisebharat.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/gen-cariappa-15-aug-64-organiser.jpg?w=625" class="size-medium wp-image-2826" src="https://arisebharat.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/gen-cariappa-15-aug-64-organiser.jpg?w=300&h=201" alt="Gen Cariappa, 15 Aug 64 Organiser" style="-x-ignore: 1" width="300" height="201">

Gen Cariappa, 15 Aug 64 Organiser

https://arisebharat.com/2016/06/16/let-muslims-of-india-declare-themselves-gen-cariappa/

13. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    An officer as a subordinate and as an overall in-charge of battle is completely changed person. I remember that when I posted a few negative things about Arjun Singh, a lot of people on the forum got after me. Including @Tejpal. I request @Hellfire to do a study of 1965 battle in Khemkaran and the charge of Pak strike corps. What wud have happened if they had succeeded in their mission to capture Amritsar? And what defenses we had till Delhi? Forget about fourth battle of Panipat, it wud have been the first battle of Delhi. Who saved us? Lt. Gen Harbaksh Singh-A sikh. We need to celebrate him and Lt. Gen Jagjit Singh Arora and not a cheat like Arjun Singh who as a coward negotiated battle doctrines with his enemy behind the back of his political masters first in April 1965 and later in September 1965.
    Can anyone explain to me why no air strikes were done against Pak Army strike corps in Khemkaran and why for three days in Akhnoor no air cover was given to IAF fighters striking Pak Army tanks? Who forced Arjun Singh to deploy Gnats in support of our strike aircraft and why?
    We lost Tibet not bcoz we did not have sufficient armed forces as was told by Carriappa but bcoz of his cowardice to fight a battle.

Scotlander and A_poster like this.
  14. InfoWarrior

Country Flag:
    India
    Pakistan's Dawn seems to be the original source.

RSS instigated assassination bid on first Indian army chief: CIA files
    The Newspaper's CorrespondentUpdated January 28, 2017

NEW DELHI: In what could be sensational revelations for many Indians and a huge embarrassment for the Modi government, the recently released CIA files have claimed that the rightwing Hindu Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS) had instigated northern army officers to plot an assassination bid on the country’s first army commander Gen K.M. Cariappa, who was from the southern region of Coorg.

Gen K.M. Cariappa

The revelations were first published in the Hindi daily Jansatta on Friday, but this correspondent corroborated the story with the United States Central Intelligence Agency files that were recently released under President Barrack Obama’s orders.

“Rift in the officer corps of the Indian army,” was the headline of the redacted file dated June 12, 1950.

“An attempt to assassinate General Cariappa, Commander in Chief of the Indian Army, was made during the General’s recent inspection tour of East Punjab. Six persons have been sentenced to death in connection with the plot; several high army officers are believed involved,” the CIA noted.

“General Cariappa as a South Indian is resented by Sikh officers of the Indian Army. The RSS is capitalising on the North-South rift among army officers, whom informant considers treacherous and unreliable, to spread dissension. Officers from Travancore, Maharashtra and Madras are invariably loyal to General Cariappa.”

Another file made public, but whose date has been deleted, carries a photocopy of the Bombay-based Blitz weekly, an erstwhile popular tabloid once considered close to Moscow.

It quotes a CIA researcher as struggling to unravel the standoff between Pakistan and India over Kashmir.

He goes on to ponder if India should opt for temporary military rule as Gen Cariappa had suggested. The general was field marshal in 1965 when he apparently made the remarks. Military officers of both countries went to school together and fought side by side in World War II, the report said. They would be able to resolve the issues dogging them.

According to the Blitz story quoting the CIA researcher, Gen Cariappa had pondered that a short stint of military rule in India would help deal with the communist threat and also tackle regional troubles. The latter issue may have been inspired by his experience in Punjab where he was nearly killed in a plot, which was staged by fellow officers, according to the CIA.

Gen Cariappa belonged to the Coorgi region of proud soldiers, which is now part of the southern state of Karnataka. He is idolised by the Coorgis as a great national hero.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi credits his political moorings to his training as a member of the RSS. He was campaigning in the poll-bound Punjab on Friday. Former army officers have been fielded by several parties in Indian elections.

A former Sikh army chief is one of the candidates for the ruling coalition of Bharatiya Janata Party and Akali Dal in the assembly polls due on Feb 4.

The RSS is the ideological fountainhead of the BJP and it denies periodic charges of having a role in the assassination of Mahatma Gandhi.

To view Dawn.com's compilation of extracts from the declassified CIA documents, click here.

Published in Dawn January 28th, 2017

CIA-declassified Newspaper

https://www.dawn.com/news/1311246

15. Anish

Anish Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Pakistani agenda and congress agenda pushed by people like @Guynextdoor is same thing

Gessler likes this.