Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

‘Rukmini’ keeps eye on dancing ‘dragon’ at sea

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by lca-fan, Jul 5, 2017.

1. lca-fan

lca-fan Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    ‘Rukmini’ keeps eye on dancing ‘dragon’ at sea
    Published July 5, 2017 SOURCE: TNN
    [​IMG]

With China increasing its naval presence in the Indian Ocean Regionamid the ongoing Sikkimstand-off, the Indian Navy is keeping an eye on the ‘dragon’ with the help of its ‘eye in the sky’, Gsat-7, the Navy’s own dedicated military satellite that was launched on September 29, 2013. The 2,625-kg satellite, named ‘Rukmini’, has helped the Navy monitor the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) as it has a nearly 2,000 nautical mile ‘footprint’. The multi-band communication-cum surveillance satellite, which is operating from the geo-stationary orbit (at 36,000km altitude), provides real-time inputs to naval warships, submarines and maritime aircraft and networking capabilities to its naval assets on the high seas. With the help of the shore-based operational centres, ‘Rukmini’ (also called INSAT-4F) has not only helped the Navy keep an eye on both Arabian Sea and Bay of Bengal but also helped the force increase its communication and surveillance capabilities from Persian Gulf to Malacca Strait, which together is equivalent to almost 70% of the IOR. Rukmini, which provides wide range of service spectrum from low bit rate voice to high bit rate data communication, has given the Navy an integrated platform and helped it overcome the limitation of ‘line of sight’ (the straight path of signal when unobstructed by the horizon). With the help of this ‘eye in the sky’, the Army, too, gets vital inputs about over-the-land movements. Due to the absence of the advanced GSLV rocket with carrying capacity of 4-tonne class satellite in 2013, Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) had to use the commercial services of Arianespace in French Guiana, Kourou, to launch Rs 185-crore Gsat-7. “The satellite, which operates in UHF, S, C and Ku bands, has an advanced Helix antenna,” an Isro source said. The satellite, which has a payload power of 2000W, has a mission life of nine years.Before Gsat-7 was launched, the navy, for warship communication, had to depend on Inmarsat, a major provider of global mobile satellite communications services. The desi satellite has reduced the Navy’s dependence on foreign services for warship communication. A second satellite of this kind, Gsat-7A, meant exclusively for the IAF, is currently being developed. “This satellite is due to be launched by year-end,” the source said. Gsat-7A will enable the air force interlink different ground radar stations, ground airbase and airborne early warning and control (AWACS) aircraft such as Beriev A-50 Phalcon and DRDO AEW&CS. The satellite will also enhance network-centric warfare capabilities of the IAF and, therefore, enhance its global operations

idrw.org .Read more at India No 1 Defence News Website ,Don http://idrw.org/rukmini-keeps-eye-on-dancing-dragon-at-sea/#more-140243 .

Wolfpack likes this.
  2. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Monitor IOR with a communication satellite ?!

SrNair likes this.
  3. lca-fan

lca-fan Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    It may be transmitting live feeds from Cartosats and Riasats so could be possible.

4. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    This satellite gives us very good quality pictures and also the data from it can be used for targeting assets at sea.

Wolfpack and lca-fan like this.
  5. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    Lol BC. How does a radio click pictures ???

@kaku

SrNair likes this.
  6. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    Just the way an IRS does the job of a military satellite.

7. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    IRS is a camera taking pics.

I am not saying GSAT7 is not a Military communications satellite , I am saying how does a radio click pictures ?

8. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    If I remember correctly, this is actually a multi role satellite while the stated purpose is purely communications but it does have some ability to provide tracking data. It cud be purely communication based or may be based on pictures.

9. surya kiran

surya kiran 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Its a multi band satellite, not multi role. Yet to see any knowledgeable source or somebody form the IN say, it is used for tracking or targeting. As far as all publicly available information goes, its a pure communication satellite which has increased the networking capabilities of the IN across land, air and sea.

SrNair likes this.
  10. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    I am aware of it. May be either I am confusing it with someother series or I remember correctly about its ability to track transmissions at sea which provide ability to locate and pinpoint the source.

surya kiran likes this.
  11. kaku

kaku Major Technical Analyst

Early IRS never provided any MilSpec sat images.

A geocentric earth observation is a very bad location for providing any useful images for military purposes. Until 2003- 05, we always approached Canada based companies for Sat intelligence.

It is CartoSat and RISAT which provide current Sat images for intelligence.

12. kaku

kaku Major Technical Analyst

GSAT-7 is not a relay sat.

And from where it relaying live feeds? Antarctica?

13. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    A few days back, we had a get together of my NDA course and we did discuss many things one of them was about our satellites and their abilities. these were just casual discussions with nothing classified info but I do remember one of the guys mentioning about these capabilities. we all got drunk and may be I miss heard. I left long back so I am not hands on with the latest but I do think it was about GSAT.