Russia's most powerful warship returns home after tour-of-duty

Discussion in 'Military Forum' started by Dilemma, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Dilemma

Dilemma SENIOR MEMBER

Russia's most powerful warship returns home after tour-of-duty

[​IMG]

Russia's Pyotr Veliky nuclear-powered missile cruiser will return on Sunday to its home base in northern Russia after a tour-of-duty that lasted for almost six months, a Navy official said.

The flagship of the Northern Fleet has covered about 28,000 nautical miles since the beginning of the mission on March 30 and accomplished a wide range of tasks in line with a comprehensive program of combat training.

The cruiser sailed through the Atlantic, the Mediterranean Sea, and the Indian Ocean to take part in the Vostok-2010 strategic drills in the Pacific in June-July.

On the way back to its home base in Severomorsk, the Pyotr Veliky held joint PASSEX-type drills with the Indian frigate INS Trishul on August 11and with the French frigate FNS Latouche-Treville on September 6.

The Kirov class cruiser has a displacement of between 24,000 and 26,000 tons, and a speed of up to 31 knots (almost 57 km/h). The ship is 251 meters in length and has a crew of more than 700 sailors.

The ship's main weapons include 20 SS-N-19 Shipwreck missiles, designed to engage large surface targets, and air defense is provided by 12 SA-NX-20 Gargoyle launchers with 96 missiles and 2 SA-N-4 Gecko with 44 missiles.

MURMANSK, September 12 (RIA Novosti)

Russia's most powerful warship returns home after tour-of-duty | Defense | RIA Novosti
    1 person likes this.
  2. RoYaN

RoYaN ELITE MEMBER

What a beauty :smitten:
  3. Dilemma

Dilemma SENIOR MEMBER

Pyotr Veliky : 24,000 to 26,000 tons
    INS Viraat : 23,900 to 28,700 tons

What a beast. :p
  4. RoYaN

RoYaN ELITE MEMBER

We should build a few like this one
  5. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor SENIOR MEMBER

Did you know that until Peter the Great, Russia did not have a Navy. He was so enchanted with having a navy that he himself went to other countries, learnt about building ships and actually WORKED IN THE YARD AS A CARPENTER and teaching the carpenters how to build them. If he were alive today (i.e had a life span of a few 100 years), how proud he would have been...;-).

On a different note, I wonder when India will think of battle cruisers? I mean, now that we are building a 40,000 T aircraft carrier, maybe we should look at a 20,000 T cruiser for power projection (true blue water navy).
    1 person likes this.
  6. RoYaN

RoYaN ELITE MEMBER

In a battle group they would be very effective.
  7. prototype

prototype SENIOR MEMBER

no actually cruisers r outdated technology,except U.S,Russia and Peru nobody operates it now

Most of their roles r now accomplished by destroyers and frigates,b it anti sub warfare or anti air warfare or individual raids

One of the biggest disadvantage of the cruisers were its size,even the fastest cruisers could not steer quickly enough to evade aerial attacks
  8. siegecrossbow

siegecrossbow ELITE MEMBER

First battleships and now cruisers :(. I hate how my favorite ship classes are going away like that.
  9. RoYaN

RoYaN ELITE MEMBER

Which ship in modern times can steer away from incoming missiles?
  10. prototype

prototype SENIOR MEMBER

once a missile is picked by the advance radar every ship has the ability to steer away from missiles,look at the size of this cruiser,it is even bigger than our aircraft carrier and compare it with size of our destroyers u will get to know the difference
  11. RoYaN

RoYaN ELITE MEMBER

You might be aware how maneuverable those super carriers are,besides the Modern ships Try to shoot the Missiles rather than outmaneuver them.
    We have an half broken 5 decade old Ship which should be in the scrap yard rather being in the Indian fleet.
  12. prototype

prototype SENIOR MEMBER

shooting down the missile is an obvious process now,it does not means that they will not,but shooting is not the only process,have u heard about chaff's and flares

maneuvering is a slow process but a ship will get enough time for deviation once radar's spot the missiles(though not much effective when fired from a close range,but this is a particular factor due to which i consider DF-21 a failure)
  13. RoYaN

RoYaN ELITE MEMBER

maneuvering might work for Sub sonic missiles bit against supe/Hyper sonic missiles I will not work
    What make you think that this cruiser cant out maneuver missiles when the Ford class can ???

Chaff I agree but flares???
    Aren't they for planes
  14. prototype

prototype SENIOR MEMBER

hypersonic or supersonic maneuvering will not work in case of close fire,aircraft carrier's r to big to maneuver,they cant,but it is not AC's that replaced cruisers,it is much smaller frigates and Destroyers which r performing its role now and they can b heavily maneuvered

work for both