Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

SC gives CVC PJ Thomas the boot:

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by kish, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Lt. Colonel SENIOR MEMBER

I have no problems accepting that the SC has done a brilliant thing and enforced accountability. I think the PM needs to provide an explanation as to what led to the appointment. And if it is true that during the interview, vital facts about Thomas's background were supporessed, the PM should suspend those who misled him.

2. Akaal

Akaal 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

No brother he has been sacked , kicked , & thrown out of the office by none other than Supreme Court Of Bharat. Whether he gave resignation or not, it doesn't matter now.

1 person likes this.
  3. Akaal

Buddy, by any far stretch of imagination are you trying to advocate that PM is a 10 year old kid?
    It’s strange how PM is kept unaware of only those scams which got busted like

PM was not aware of S band scam
    PM was not aware of commonwealth scam
    PM was not aware of CVC.
    Editing because forget the mainscam which PM was kept in dark . The 2G scam. Oh God knows how many times I will have to edit it.

Tomorrow when more scam will came in notice, I’m sure PM would certainly be kept in dark.

Think of yourself as the PM , can you give a better excuse than that when you are cornered and there is no way to escape

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  4. rcscwc

rcscwc Major SENIOR MEMBER

More than that I need to know WHAT DID NOT lead to his sacking.

1 person likes this.
  5. Osiris

Osiris Major SENIOR MEMBER

I respect SC verdict quashing Thomas' appointment as CVC: PM

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today said he respected the Supreme Court verdict on the quashing of the appointment of P J Thomas as Central Vigilance Commissioner.

"I respect the Supreme Court verdict," he said when asked to comment on the apex court judgement. ( Read: Supreme court strikes down appointment of PJ Thomas as CVC )

Parliament sources said that a statement would be made on behalf of the government in both the Houses.

A high-power committee, headed by the Prime Minister, had cleared the appointment of Thomas, the then Union telecom secretary, to the constitutional post.

Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj, a member of the three-member high-power committee, had made known her disagreement to the government proposal of appointing Thomas as CVC. Home minister P Chidambaram is the other member.

Dealing a big blow to the Central government, the Supreme Court struck down the appointment of Thomas as CVC, holding that the recommendation made by the high-powered panel did not consider the relevant material and, therefore, its advice "does not exist in law".

60-year-old Thomas, facing a corruption case in a Kerala court relating to Palmolein import scam, resigned immediately after the apex court gave its keenly awaited verdict, just six months after the former bureaucrat was appointed as the 14th CVC.

I respect SC verdict quashing Thomas' appointment as CVC: PM - The Times of India

6. Guynextdoor

And you thought the PM is the ominipotent and all knowing one...he's got three areas cut out for him- NAC reccomendations by Sonia, Foreign Policy and Big home affairs and of course the plitical affairs & allances with his party. It is very understandable that the individual ministries are run as fiefdoms. Forget the PM, walk into any company (a much smaller entity) & check out how much a CEO really knows and how much he depends upon others for the rest of the organization. Though he has a lot of explaining to do...the PM is no different.

7. rcscwc

rcscwc Major SENIOR MEMBER

Cut out NAC. That is extra constitutional, and purely a party affair. Whatever its pretentensions may be.

PM is supposed to be in total control of the executive. If he was unaware then, as per Chanakya, he has no business to be the PM.

8. Akaal

Ok fine, PM was unaware of PJ Thomas background even when leader of opposition gave a dissent note.
    The committee made him the CVC with 2-1 majority which today the Supreme Court in no uncertain terms declared as Illegal.

I don't know whether you are fooling me or yourself if you say the mistake committed by a science student and top nuclear scientist of the country as same. Greater position demands greater responsibility.

Even if we forget all these the point raised in post #19 still holds.

9. Osiris

Osiris Major SENIOR MEMBER

Ex-CVC Thomas was Raja’s nominee

NEW DELHI: When Prime Minister Manmohan Singh recently blamed the Centre’s drift in governance on “coalition dharma”, he perhaps also had the appointment of the Central Vigilance Commissioner (CVC) in mind. For, all three names shortlisted by the Congress-led UPA government were recommended by the DMK.

According to BJP sources, while P J Thomas was Telecom Secretary and recommended by former Union telecom minister A Raja, Subbaroyan Krishnan and Bijoy Chatterjee were favourites of Union Chemical and Fertilizers Minister M K Alagiri.

S Krishnan was Secretary in the Department of Chemicals & Petrochemicals, while S Krishnan retired as Fertiliser Secretary.

Not only was Raja’s candidate P J Thomas preferred over the other two recommended by Alagiri, both Manmohan Singh and Union Home Minister P Chidambaram insisted on his candidature despite strong objections from Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj. The decision was taken on the basis of majority, overruling Sushma’s objections. In the minutes of the selection committee meeting on the CVC appointment, Sushma wrote “I disagree” and signed under it, thus recording her dissent.

During his recent interaction with TV editors, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had said: “No one should doubt that I am conscious of my responsibilities. But I have some compulsions. One has to tolerate a great deal in coalition politics, or else go for elections every six months, which is also not the proper course to adopt.”

http://expressbuzz.com/nation/ex-cvc-thomas-was-raja’s-nominee/253141.html

10. Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

If the article is true than the situation gets all the more serious..The Pm and HM has not only overlooked a corruption case against Mr. Thomas but basically it was pre decided that Mr. Thomas will be made the CVC even before the 3 member committee met. Yet another high Constitutional office has lost its dignity

11. ek_indian

ek_indian Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

I completely support your point. I am seeing a trend in media, blogs, forums etc. that MMS is naive and all other are evil. This looks like a plot to save him. Seeing the position he held previously and the expertise he has, it is certain he is not at all innocent.

PM is directly involved in some cases like S-band, CVC and telecom and indirectly (incompetence, ignorance) in others, Also barring CVC, all other are economic scams. So much for an economist!!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  12. RoYaN

RoYaN Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

CVC case: Thomas may consider filing review petition, says his lawyer

New Delhi: PJ Thomas' counsel, Wills Mathews, has indicated that Mr Thomas may consider filing a review petition against the Supreme Court order quashing his appointment as Central Vigilance Commissioner (CVC).

Speaking to PTI, Mr Mathews dismissed reports that Thomas has resigned and said that he would go through the judgement and consider "whether to resign or to file a review petition". He added that Thomas has not yet gone through the judgement and would take a decision only after perusing it.

"I just talked to him. He was prepared to resign long back but at that time there was a legal opinion that he should not resign. So he continued," the counsel said.

Citing the provisions in the CVC Act, Mr Mathews said he can be removed only by the President or alternatively he can resign.

On Thursday, the Supreme Court ruled that PJ Thomas' appointment as CVC is illegal. The government will issue a notification today quashing Thomas' appointment.

The Supreme Court judgement comes at a time when the government is being taken to task by the Opposition for a glut of corruption scandals. "I respect the Supreme Court's judgement," said the Prime Minister to NDTV. He said he will make a statement in Parliament on the controversy.

Dr Manmohan Singh is now in the direct line of fire of the Opposition since he headed the committee that chose Mr Thomas.

Mr Thomas was selected in September by the Prime Minister and Home Minister. The third member of the committee, Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj, had objected strongly because Mr Thomas is accused of corruption himself in a criminal case that goes back to the early 90s, when he was a senior bureaucrat in Kerala.

Like Ms Swaraj, the Supreme Court has stressed during the trial that Mr Thomas cannot be in charge of fighting corruption as the Central Vigilance Commissioner when his own integrity is being questioned. In its judgement on Thursday, the court said, "The touchstone for the appointment of the CVC is the institutional integrity as well as the personal integrity of the candidate." The judges, headed by Chief Justice Kapadia, did clarify that they were not questioning Mr Thomas' personal integrity.

The government, in its defense, had argued in court that the biodata for Mr Thomas considered by the PM did not refer to the corruption charges against him. The Supreme Court has rejected that stand, stating that the committee headed by the PM should have "gone beyond the documents" presented to it.

The court also said that the government was incorrect in suggesting that because the post of Central Vigilance Commissioner is a constitutional one, the Supreme Court is not entitled to review the appointment. The court said that while the government "is not accountable to the courts in respect of policy decisions...however, they are accountable for the legality of such decisions." (Supreme Court judgement on CVC: Read full text) - Courtesy Supreme Court website

Ms Swaraj, who has voiced her opposition to Mr Thomas' appointment at different public forums, tweeted after the verdict, "The dignity of the office of CVC has been restored." The Left and the BJP now also want a debate in Parliament on why the government insisted on Mr Thomas as its choice.

As Food Secretary in Kerala in the early 90s, Mr Thomas campaigned aggressively for the import of edible oil from Malaysia. It later emerged that the price paid for the oil - palmolein - was unjustifiably high. He has since been charged with corruption and conspiracy.

Those charges are the reason why his appointment has been challenged in the Supreme Court by different Public Interest Litigation cases.

Mr Thomas had repeatedly told the court that the fact that he was promoted over the last few years by the Vigilance Commission proves that the charges against him are incorrect and should not affect his career.

The 71-page verdict written by Justice Kapadia noted that in addition to the pending corruption case against Mr Thomas, the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) had repeatedly recommended "penalty proceedings" against him between 2000 and 2004. The PM's committee, the court said, had overlooked these black marks in Mr Thomas' record.

The court judgement on Mr Thomas comes at a time when the government has been bruised black and blue by a steady stream of scams. Leading that list is the 2G spectrum scam which pushed A Raja from the Telecom Minister's office into jail. Mr Raja stands accused of abusing his position and manipulating government policies to award licences for mobile networks at throwaway prices to companies that rewarded him privately with huge kickbacks.

Mr Thomas was Telecom Secretary till he was made Central Vigilance Commissioner. The Supreme Court, which is also monitoring the CBI's investigation into the spectrum scam, suggested that it would be inappropriate for Mr Thomas to preside over an inquiry that could subject his own actions in the Telecom Ministry to scrutiny. Mr Thomas then recused himself from the 2G investigation.

New guidelines for choosing Central Vigilance Commissioner

In its judgement on Thursday, the Supreme Court has provided guidelines for all future appointments of government secretaries and constitutional posts.

Based on Mr Thomas' case, committee members who dissent or over-rule dissent must explain their reasons. Any relevant information should not be withheld from the selection committee. Civil servants should not alone be considered for these positions. "All the civil servants and other persons empanelled shall be outstanding civil servants or persons of impeccable integrity," the court said. (With PTI Inputs)

Read more at: CVC case: Thomas may consider filing review petition, says his lawyer

13. Guynextdoor

I never said he NEVER knew about the issues. I'm sure that by the time BJP etc. raised those issues he was aware that he had been taken for a ride but then, as I had mentioned before- first isntinct is self preservation. The BJP is NO ONE to lecture the congress on integiry in public life. Karnataka found in Justice Hegde an upright and incorruptible Lokayukta. But he's been too upright for BSY who's constantly hounding him. Hegde's come close to resignation many many times because they just aren't letting him do his job.

14. Guynextdoor

^^^ sorry I wanted to reply to Akkal's post but picked up somehting else isntead.

15. DaRk KnIght

DaRk KnIght Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Yeah right. BJP should not lecture the government and then SC should use its power and bring shame to the government. A very shameful act by congress party. :tdown:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.