Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Second Scorpene class submarine to be launched on January 12

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by R!CK, Jan 9, 2017.

1. R!CK

R!CK 2nd Lieutant Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    Mumbai: The second of the Scorpene class submarines, INS Khanderi, will be launched here on 12 January, officials said on Monday.

[​IMG]

The state-of-art features of the Scorpene submarines include superior stealth and the ability to launch a crippling attack on the enemy using precision guided weapons. The attack can be launched with torpedoes as well as tube launched anti-ship missiles whilst underwater or on surface.

[​IMG]

The stealth features will give it an invulnerability unmatched by many submarines, officials said.

The Scorpene submarine is designed to operate in all theatres including the tropics. All means and communications are provided to ensure inter-operability with other components of a Naval Task Force.

It can undertake multifarious types of missions, including anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, intelligence gathering, mine laying and area surveillance, which are typically undertaken by any modern submarine.

Built according to the principle of Modular Construction at the Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd, the construction of the submarine involves dividing it into a number of sections and outfitting them concurrently, said officials.

The equipment is mounted in a special manner and then embarked into the sections.

"The complexity of the task increases exponentially as it involves laying kilometres of cabling and piping in extremely congested compartments. Further, the stringent tolerances of the Scorpene required to be maintained were indeed a challenge, but were successfully achieved by MDL with traditional skill, determination and tenacity," an official said.

All equipment has been installed in the submarine with 95 per cent cabling and piping also being completed.

Pressure testing, setting-to-work and commissioning of various systems of the submarine is presently in progress and would continue after the launching of the submarine.

"All-important safety milestone of vacuum testing was completed in the first attempt itself, and within a single day on January 5 this year. This matched the record of Kalvari, the first Scorpene class submarine, which also completed the Vacuum Test in one shot, a feat unmatched in the annals of submarine construction," an official said.

From its launch to December 2017, the submarine will undergo rigorous trials and tests both in harbour and at sea, on surface and under water.

"These trials are designed to test each system to its fullest capacity. Thereafter she would be commissioned into the Indian Navy as INS Khanderi. This would be preceded by the commissioning of Kalvari later this year. The other four submarines will follow in the wake of Khanderi at intervals of nine months," the official said.

The boat is named after the first Khanderi, a diesel-electric submarine which was commissioned into the Indian Navy in 1968, and decommissioned in 1989.

In 2005, India purchased six Scorpene submarines for $3 billion.

These submarines are being manufactured under a technology transfer agreement by the state-owned Mazagon Docks in Mumbai in collaboration with French group DCNS.

The submarines were initially to be delivered between 2012 and 2016, however the project is running almost four years behind schedule and the first of the six Scorpene submarines, INS Kalvari, is currently undergoing sea trials.

http://m.firstpost.com/india/second...ine-to-be-launched-on-january-12-3195406.html

2. GSLV Mk III

GSLV Mk III Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Why is it launched on a pontoon barge ?

3. Ripcord322

Ripcord322 Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    looks like a long way to go...... (from the pictures....)
    Or are those pictures old...!?

4. lca-fan

lca-fan Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Indian govt. should scrap P75I and should immediately order 6 more scorpenes with DRDO AIP and 4VLS tubes and get done with it. This will bring in faster submarines, amortize line bringing down costs, commonality benefits, etc. Later upgrade current scorpenes with DRDO AIP and VLS . Buy out 6 kilos with AIP from Russia only if needed as urgency or directly move to 12 to 18 SSN (preferably) if possible by 2035.

5. GSLV Mk III

GSLV Mk III Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    for Brahmos ?

12-18 is a huge number, though 6 are already approved.

6. lca-fan

lca-fan Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I have clearly stated till 2035. All the older submarines would have retired by then except scorpenes so 12 conventional and 18 nuclear = 30 submarines (bare minimum required) for protection and 5 boomers for offensive role is a must for huge coastline we have. In future we directly need to shift to only SSN for submarines like US.

7. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    My thoughts exactly, the P-75(I) is an entirely redundant requirement now especially when one actually thinks that the first P-75(I) won't be in service before 2022 and the MASSIVE budget for P-75(I). Instead such funds should be given to making another 6-9 Scorpenes (ideally 3 would be made in France with the rest being made in MDL so as to speed up induction) and to the SSN project.

I do hope the GoI/MoD sees sense but I don't have much hope as they seem intent on dangling these expensive "carrots" out there to woo/pander to global OEMs. The most sensible decsion would be a 100-150% repeat buy with significant upgrades (which DCNS have already said they would do).

@PARIKRAMA @Ankit Kumar 001 @Gessler @nair

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  8. PARIKRAMA

PARIKRAMA Angel or Devil? Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    follow on scorpene 3 +3 with AIP from the beginning and a LACM and a AShM beyond 300 km range will make it an awesome stuff

May be look at P75I as super scorpenes and close the matter out quick as well..

Levina, R!CK, Pundrick and 5 others like this.
  9. Gessler

Gessler Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    I'm all in for cancelling P-75I. The efforts should be focused on a single SSK line and a new SSN line. After the 3 Arihants are done, a new SSBN line. Only one production line for each type of submarine at any given time.

SSK: 14 or 15

• 6 x Scorpenes under Project-75 (already ordered & on the way, last 2 with or without AIP)
    • 3 x Additional Scorpenes to extend Project-75 line, AIP mandatory
    • 6 x Super-Scorpenes or just normal Scorpene with incremental improvements in tech. AIP mandatory.

SSN: 12 to 18

• 6 x Initial order to be built by a greenfield private-sector shipyard (L&T Kattupalli?) - need to choose a design from France/Russia fast. And then work on the reactor. They need to be in early stages of construction by 2021 at least.
    • Further orders in batches of 6 each time wouldn't hurt. By 2030, at least 12 need to be on order, and at least 1 or 2 in service/trials.

SSBN/SSGN: 6 to 8

• 3 x Arihant-class with 4 silos each, carrying K-4 IRBM
    • 3 or 5 x Avinash-class with 12 silos each, carrying K-5 ICBM - this is a crucial project and the sooner Arihant line is done, sooner we can get started with this. The design more or less appears to be finalized behind the curtain (based off improved Delta-IV hull), companies like L&T have accumulated experience wrt hull-fabrication and Russian assistance is there. The 180-200MWe PWR is probably the only big piece of the puzzle who's status is unknown. It's obvious that Russian nuclear agencies are actively involved with this and most certainly work is going on as we speak. But information would be nice to have! By 2030, I'd expect to have at least 1 of these bigger SSBNs in service.
    • After the Avinash-class are online, it would probably make sense to refurbish & convert the Arihants to SSGNs with up to 5 x Nirbhay SLCMs per silo (as per PKSG's proposal). But given the fact that Avinash might not appear for a long time, and would take still longer to completely take over deterrence operations, I wonder if Arihants will still be relevant & economical to convert by that time.

As of VLS on SSKs, I've met similar concerns on other forums and I addressed them there:

[​IMG]

VLS on SSKs is simply not necessary IMO. Our surface ships like P-15B and future P-18 would provide more than enough land-attack capability to saturate Pakistani targets from the sea. Survivability would be lesser than a subsurface platform, but against the PN in the open seas, it's not really that necessary. Submarine-launched ASCM? Again, PN surface ships even by 2025 are nothing that cannot be effectively neutralized by even existing IN combatants.

Inactive, R!CK, Grevion and 5 others like this.
  10. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    MDL has been specially upgraded to increase the rate of production of Submarines. If it was not for the leaks , we would have had a follow on order for 3 more , the day Kalvari was launched.

With significant investments made , I would prefer 6+3+3 , all made at MDL.

The initial plan also called for this only.

I would further wish we get P75I done with a private partner. And set the bars high. VLS BrahMos and Indian Long Range SLCM [Be it Nirbhay or longer Range KLUBs imported as we are into MTCR ]. Also should be a big one which can spend really long durations into farther waters.

And then also get a 3rd line. At SBC , buy 636 MKI licence, import 2-3 and build 5-6.

With Pakistan , Bangladesh and PLAAN all near our shores with submarines , a minimum fleet of 40 SSK.

Inactive, Levina, R!CK and 6 others like this.
  11. GuardianRED

GuardianRED Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    It is possible P75I will go the Rafale way ie FMS route, we just has to wait and watch, possible new variant of the scorpene? Still , im 50/50 sure that this technical discussion is under way and as soon is finalized, we will have the scrapping of the Tender and FMS route presented!

R!CK, Abingdonboy and PARIKRAMA like this.
  12. Echo_419

Echo_419 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    How about asking the folks at MDL to speed things up & make the entire 6 subs in India itself?

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  13. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    I am advocating 6 more to be made at MDL, they have invested in capacity augmentation to handle just this but I would also ideally like 3 more to come from DCNS at the same time so there is parellel construction and thus faster inductions- similar to how the P-17A has been split between two yards.

The delays in the orginal P-75 construction, depletion of existing SSKs and expansion of underwater threats means the IN needs all the subs it can get and FAST.

PARIKRAMA and Gessler like this.
  14. PARIKRAMA

PARIKRAMA Angel or Devil? Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Second line in MDL can make 5 subs parallels in modular construction.. MDL had invested good amount in hope that they will churn out more scorpenes ..

Such a.facility will.mean say 3-5 subs in straight 5 years without delay..

And with follow on order to previous 6 we can go for more localised stuff and proprietary additions to make the new scorpenes more potent..

Pundrick, Levina, GSLV Mk III and 4 others like this.
  15. R!CK

R!CK 2nd Lieutant Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    1. Arihant class might be a small family with 'even' number of siblings. :whistle:

2. 12 silos? hmm... maybe we should settle for somewhere in between Arihants 4 and your predicted 12? ;)

3. 2030 for 12 silos? possible. 2030 for bigger Arihants? Maybe not. You don't really want the hull to be 15+ years old before launch do you? :fie:

4. SSGN conversion? No comments.

5. Why P75I? No-one said P75I can't be advanced scorpenes. :pleasantry: A private yard will be tasked with SSK project for the first time in India, these may or may not be scorpenes but the aim is to have a private partner in the domain. Not many people are aware of the role played by one particular private player in India's most important naval project.

6. VLS is not mandatory for P75I, but don't be surprised if the winning design includes VLS. :azn:

7. P75 is a very badly negotiated deal. The indigenisation level in the project is not something to be proud of. Should we really continue on the same path even now and offer them bigger follow-on order? Or should we get DCNS to the table and get the best offer ever? Competition has a charm of its own. Time will answer rest. :)

Good Day!

Inactive, kurup, GSLV Mk III and 3 others like this.