Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Serving Major among 4 Pak nationals behind 2008 Mumbai attacks: US chargesheet

Discussion in 'International Relations' started by Hashu, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hashu

    Hashu Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2010
    Messages:
    797
    Likes Received:
    145
    NEW DELHI: A suspected serving Pakistani Major, believed to be working with the ISI, is among four nationals of that country charged by the US with being alleged conspirators behind the 2008 Mumbai terror strikes.

    The accused identified as 'Major Iqbal', was named along with Sajid Mir, Mazhar Iqbal and Abu Qahafa in a second superseding indictment filed by the federal prosecutors before a court in Chicago on April 25 last. Besides, the indictment mentioned an unnamed individual as "Lashkar Member D."

    Indian investigators had named Major Iqbal along with another Pakistani Army officer Major Sameer Ali as the brain behind the Mumbai terror strikes and on the request of New Delhi, Interpol has issued a Red Corner Notice against them.

    The dossier was handed over during the Indo-Pak foreign secretary-level talks on February 25, 2010 in New Delhi.

    The role of 'Major Iqbal' emerged in the interrogation by the FBI of US terror suspect David Headley, arrested in Chicago in October, 2009 in connection with the Mumbai attack.

    The four men identified were previously mentioned but not named in the indictments that charged Pakistani-American David Headley and Pakistani-Canadian Tahawwur Rana in connection with the Mumbai attacks which killed 166 people, including six Americans.

    An individual known as 'Major Iqbal' participated in planning and funding attacks carried out by LeT in Mumbai, federal prosecutors said.

    According to the Indian dossier, Maj Iqbal was posted in Lahore from 2007 to 2008 and was handling Headley. He also handled all the surveillance videos sent by Headley.

    The US federal prosecutor said that in July 2006, Major Iqbal provided to Headley approximately USD 25,000 to, among other purposes, establish and operate the Mumbai office of First World and pay for living expenses while Headley carried out his assignments for Lashkar.

    In September 2006, February 2007, September 2007, April 2008 and July 2008, Headley travelled to Mumbai for extended periods for the purpose of conducting surveillance of possible targets of attacks by LeT.

    Prior to Headley's departure for each of these trips, Mir and Major Iqbal along with others instructed Headley regarding locations where he was to conduct video surveillance in and around Mumbai, as well as other locations in India.

    After each trip, Headley travelled to Pakistan, where he met Sajid Mir and Major Iqbal associated with Lashkar to report on the results of his surveillance, and provided them with photographs and videos from the surveillance, the US federal prosecutors said.

    In July, Major Iqbal provided Headley another USD 1,500 to keep open the First World office in Mumbai, but approved closing that office in the future and opening a new business in Delhi, to be used as cover for future activities by him.

    And soon after the Mumbai attacks, Major Iqbal advised Headley to avoid contact with him until further notice and to remove any incriminating materials from his home in Pakistan.

    Sajid Mir was associated with LeT and supervised others linked with the outfit. He served as a "handler" for Headley, who has confessed to his involvement in Mumbai attacks, and others who were directed to carry out actions relating to planning, preparing for and carrying out the terrorist strikes on behalf of LeT.

    Abu Qahafa was an associate with LeT who trained others in combat techniques for use in terrorist attacks, while Mazhar Iqbal and 'Lashkar Member D' were LeT commanders.

    According to the indictment, Sajid Mir, Abu Qahafa and Mazhar Iqbal conspired with each other, Headley, 'Lashkar Member D' and others known and unknown to the grand jury, to deliver, place, discharge and detonate explosives and other lethal devices in, into and against places of public use, state and government facilities, public transportation systems and infrastructure facilities in India.

    Federal prosecutors alleged that in July and August 2008, Abu Qahafa and others were training a number of young men in Pakistan in various skills and tactics to be used in carrying out terrorist attacks in Mumbai, including combat tactics, room entry, hostage rescue, nautical training and swimming.

    During the course of attacks in Mumbai, the attackers were in telephonic contact with defendants Sajid Mir, Abu Qahafa and Mazhar Iqbal, all of whom were then located in Pakistan, the federal prosecutors said.

    "More specifically, during the course of the attacks, the attackers were advised to, among other actions, kill hostages, set fire and throw grenades. Sajid Mir also sought to arrange the release of a hostage in exchange for the release of a captured attacker," the United States indictment alleged.
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ttacks-US-chargesheet/articleshow/8207171.cms
     
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. Capt.Popeye

    Capt.Popeye Captain SENIOR MEMBER

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2010
    Messages:
    1,091
    Likes Received:
    242
    Aha, the plot thickens; the web tightens!
     
  3. ek_indian

    ek_indian Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2010
    Messages:
    515
    Likes Received:
    132
    I think the same "carrot-stick" approach is beeing played with India as well albeit at a different level.
     
  4. Hembo

    Hembo OLD MOD STAR MEMBER

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2011
    Messages:
    1,977
    Likes Received:
    680
    India to share 26/11 evidence with US?

     
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  5. Hembo

    Hembo OLD MOD STAR MEMBER

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2011
    Messages:
    1,977
    Likes Received:
    680
    India releases dossier linking 26/11 plotters with ISI
    Vishwa Mohan, TNN | May 10, 2011, 02.23am IST

    NEW DELHI: Just a week ahead of the crucial trial of a key 26/11 accused in the US, India on Monday released detailed dossiers on five Pakistanis, including a serving ISI major who have been chargesheeted by US authorities in connection with the Mumbai terror attacks.

    The move is aimed at highlighting the role of Pakistani spy agency ISI as a terror sponsor at a time when the detection of Osama bin Laden in the garrison town of Abbottabad deep inside Pakistan has trained the global spotlight anew on ISI's terror links across the globe.

    Tahawwur Hussain Rana, a Pakistani-Canadian who is to go on trial in a Chicago court for facilitating the 2008 terror attack on Mumbai, has claimed immunity from prosecution on the ground that he was working for the Pakistan government.

    Besides Major Iqbal of ISI, others who figure in the dossiers include Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) commander and head of its Indian operation Sajid Majeed alias Sajid Mir, Lashkar trainer and explosives expert Abu Qahafa, Lashkar's Kashmir in-charge Mazhar Iqbal alias Abu al-Qama and Lashkar's operational commander Muzammil who took charge of anti-India operations of the banned terror ouotfit after Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi's arrest.

    The home ministry, however, did not identify Muzammil in its note, using FBI's description of 'Member D' for him in its second indictment report against the five Pakistanis in the Chicago court.

    American Lashkar terrorist David Coleman Headley, who has pleaded guilty for his role in 26/11, will be the witness in the case where Rana has been accused of using his travel agency to help Headley carry out the recee of Mumbai and other places in India on Lashkar's hit list.

    Stating that the US move "vindicates" Indian probe, a senior home ministry official said, "The dossiers were handed over to Pakistan during the Indo-Pak foreign secretary-level talks in February last year. Islamabad has, however, not acted on it so far."

    India had named Major Iqbal and another Pakistani army officer Major Sameer Ali as the brain behind the Mumbai terror strikes along with Lashkar founder Hafiz Saeed. Interpol Red Corner Notices (RCNs) have been pending against them since last year. Headley during his interrogation had disclosed these names, stating the roles of each of them. It was Major Iqbal who had first received all the 26/11 surveillance videos from Headley.

    The home ministry's dossier on the accused said that Major Iqbal, who was posted in Lahore from 2007 to 2008, had handled Headley. The US federal prosecutor too said that in July 2006, Major Iqbal provided to Headley approximately $25,000 to, among other purposes, establish and operate the Mumbai office of First World and pay for living expenses while Headley carried out his assignments for Lashkar.

    The dossier said Sajid Mir was associated with LeT and supervised others. He also served as a "handler" for Headley while Abu Qahafa trained others in combat techniques for use in terrorist attacks.

    US federal prosecutors had revealed that Sajid Mir, Abu Qahafa and Mazhar Iqbal conspired with each other, Headley, 'Lashkar Member D' (Muzammil) and others known and unknown to the grand jury, to deliver, place, discharge and detonate explosives and other lethal devices in, into and against places of public use, state and government facilities, public transportation systems and infrastructure facilities in India.

    During the course of attacks in Mumbai, Sajid Mir, Abu Qahafa and Mazhar Iqbal were in touch with the gunmen, giving them instructions and asking them to arrange the release of a hostage in exchange for the release of a captured attacker.
     
  6. Hembo

    Hembo OLD MOD STAR MEMBER

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2011
    Messages:
    1,977
    Likes Received:
    680
    Pakistani intelligence link to Mumbai
    Sebastian Rotella, Propublica
    May 11, 2011

    IT could be years before the world learns whether Pakistan's powerful Inter-Services Intelligence Directorate helped hide Osama bin Laden.

    But detailed allegations of their involvement in terrorism will soon be made public in Chicago. Late last month prosecutors charged a suspected ISI major with helping to plot the deaths of six Americans in the 2008 Mumbai attacks.

    The indictment has explosive implications because Washington and Islamabad are struggling to preserve their fragile relationship. The ISI has long been suspected of secretly aiding terrorist groups while serving as a US ally in the terrorism fight.

    Advertisement: Story continues below
    The discovery that bin Laden spent years in a fortress-like compound surrounded by military facilities in Abbottabad has heightened those suspicions and reinforced accusations the ISI was involved in the attacks that killed 166 people in Mumbai.

    Three chiefs of Lashkar-e-Taiba, the Pakistani terrorist group, were also indicted in Chicago. They include Sajid Mir, a suspected Mumbai mastermind whose voice was caught on tape directing the slaughter by phone from Pakistan. He, too, has ISI links. He remains at large along with the suspected ISI major and six other top suspects.

    Despite the unprecedented terrorism charges implicating a Pakistani officer, the US Justice Department and other agencies did not make any comments when the indictment was issued. ''Obviously there has been a push to be low-key,'' said an Obama administration official.

    The first public airing of the ISI's alleged involvement in the Mumbai attack will begin on May 16 with the trial of Tahawwur Rana, the owner of a Chicago immigration consulting firm. Mr Rana was arrested in 2009 and charged with material support of terrorism. The star witness will be David Coleman Headley, a Pakistani-American businessman-turned-militant who has pleaded guilty to scouting targets in India and Denmark.

    Even before bin Laden was killed, the Obama administration had taken a tougher tone about the ISI's alleged militant links. But a US official said this month that US counter-terrorism agencies still think any involvement in the Mumbai attacks was limited to rogue officers.

    Pakistani officials deny any involvement in Mumbai.
     
    1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page