Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Settling JF-17 and J-10 Performance claims

Discussion in 'China & Asia Pacific' started by jagjitnatt, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jagjitnatt

jagjitnatt Major ELITE MEMBER

A nice video which reveals what the real performance of J-10 and Jf-17 is like. The source is CCTV, which is a state run media, so all facts in the video are accepted facts by the Chinese govt.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
    3 people like this.
  2. DaRk KnIght

DaRk KnIght Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Hey can anyone mail me the link of this video?

3. Martian

Martian Captain SENIOR MEMBER

My understanding is that China's fighters are comparable to America's non-stealth aircraft, but not the latest modified versions. However, the weakness isn't in the fighter jets.

The problem is that Chinese pilots are not receiving comparable flight-time compared to Western pilots. Western nations spend an inordinate amount of money to train their pilots. It's great if you can afford it. However, China is not preparing for a major war and the training of pilots to Western standards is not a priority.

Anyway, great video.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  4. siegecrossbow

siegecrossbow 2nd Lieutant ELITE MEMBER

I'm reposting the video link since it is not showing up on your post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmeItPqXE3M

1 person likes this.
  5. jagjitnatt

Is it so? I can see it.
    Maybe some problem.

6. jagjitnatt

Chinese jets are comparable to older US jets, which are currently undergoing retirement. The newer aircraft like F-18, F-15 etc are still better than anything that China can develop, but that is understandable. China's aerospace industry is still new and will take time to mature.

About the training, US does have a upper hand here. But if China is not training their forces, then it can't be an excuse. It is a fault and must be taken care of.

7. DaRk KnIght

DaRk KnIght Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

So basically J-10 is better than Mirage 2000 but not at par with F-16 C/D.

However one question....which Mirage 2000?? 2000-5 or 2000-9?

8. jagjitnatt

Mirage 2000-5 is the one being compared because that's what Taiwan operates. Our Mirages are being upgraded to Mirage 2000-5 Mk II standards which are a huge leap over the 2000-5 version. Ours will be able to fire Mica which is a huge difference(60 km vs 18 km earlier)

So our Mirage 2000 is better than or min at par with the J-10.
    The guy says that the F-16C/D has better radar when compared to J10, so that means that our Mirage's radar is also better than J-10's.

9. siegecrossbow

Must've been Linux. I tried looking at it on Windows mode and it was fine. Oh well.

I don't agree with what Martian said about Chinese pilot training. Recently (a decade or so ago) a great deal of time and effort have been dedicated to pilot training in China. I think this is obvious since the officially released pilot flight time has been released and we also see a lot more accidents/crashes, indicating that pilots are encouraged to fly more radically.

10. prototype

prototype Major SENIOR MEMBER

Chinese jets r way far behind the western one's for a reason,their aerospace industry was active even during the world war age,they have yrs of experience,they have mastered already many technologies which Asian nation r still to acquire,china as far as i think is atleast 2 decades behind the western counterparts,but that is not a problem given the speed at which Chinese aerospace industry is growing

11. prototype

prototype Major SENIOR MEMBER

@ Jagjit,which is the better 1,Mirage 2000 5F or our 2000 MK-2 version,as far as i think we have the better one,i think it uses an enhanced RDY radar and by the way do the earlier version had FLIR capacity

12. Dilemma

Dilemma Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Mirage 2000-5 mk 2 (2000-9) is any day better than the 2000-5. The Mirages never had an internal FLIR/IRST afaik, they used the Damocles pod.

On the whole topic.
    The Chinese are getting closer to match American jets, but it will still take a long time. If I'm not wrong, PAF has asked for upgraded J-10s to meet their demands. Even today, the F-16 blk 52s, which is more than a decade old is better than any Chinese plane.

13. Martian

Martian Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Outdated 1995 RAND study comparison of fighter pilot training hours

I retract my statement on Chinese pilot training. The only hard numbers that I have found are from a 1995 RAND study. It is outdated.

China's Air Force: The Long March to Modernization

"Maintenance training, particularly on newer-generation avionics and engines, ... Fighter pilots do not fly as many hours as their Western counterparts (100 to 110 hours per year versus approximately 180 hours for U.S. pilots). ..."

14. siegecrossbow

All I can say is that we've come a long way. Look at what they had to say about the PLAAF 15 years ago:

I got this from the source that Martian provided.

3 people like this.
  15. Dilemma

Dilemma Captain SENIOR MEMBER

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.