Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Sexual harassment in India: 'The story you never wanted to hear'

Discussion in 'International Politics' started by Averageamerican, Aug 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Averageamerican

Averageamerican Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    CNN) -- Michaela Cross, an American student at the University of Chicago, has written a powerful account of her study abroad trip to India last year, during which she says she experienced relentless sexual harassment, groping and worse.

Upon her return, she says she was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and is now on a mental leave of absence from the school after a public breakdown in the spring.

Cross, a fair-skinned, red-haired South Asian studies major, titled her story "India: The Story You Never Wanted to Hear." She posted her account on CNN iReport under the username RoseChasm.

Watch this video

iReport on India draws global attention

Her story has struck a chord around the world, racking up more than 800,000 page views as of Wednesday morning. It quickly found its way to India, where many readers sympathized with the story and men felt compelled to apologize for the experience she endured. Others called for greater perspective and warned against making generalizations about India or its people.
    India sexual harassment: American student shares horrific experiences - CNN.com

2. Vyom

Vyom Captain IDF NewBie

Well she deserves an apology and I would also apologize to her in my capacity as Indian citizen. and as the most if I would say travel with care. My country is a beautiful one, a lot of my friends from US come and enjoy their stay and they are not subjected to any such incidents. Its should have been the responsibility of her hosts to make sure that her experience was a better one.

There are certain dos and don't when coming to India, get to know them and follow they are not restrictive, but if some simple precautions are taken incidents can be avoided, most importantly choose your hosts who treat you as if you were a known guest. Girls traveling alone in India is a concern even for us Indians, and we have certain-social issues but its not something that cannot be avoided.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.