Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Shiv Sena Demands Ban on Burqua

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by Coltsfan, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coltsfan

Coltsfan <b>SENIOR MEMBER</b> SENIOR MEMBER

I've already said that private establishments should be allowed to refuse entry to people who are covering their faces.

Same rule can be applied to airports, and other places.

But demanding a blanket ban on Burqua is stupid.

BTW, any guess as to what % of crimes are being committed by these so called Burqua thieves? less than <0.000001%??? or it has become a major problem.

Pakistani terrorists on 2611 were not wearing Burqua...........

2. libertarianatheist

libertarianatheist FULL MEMBER

baah, hardly a reply. nobody forces anyone to do anything in a liberal society. the mindset of liberty demands that every human being be an individual first with full choice over their sexual and reproductive choices.

its very hard to get this through the skull of people raised in patriarchial cultures. it took me a long time to realize this myself. the burqa is a relic from the age where humans still behaved like tribal chimps (who raid each others , take women captive etc)

the modern state with rule of law is supposed to have enough protection for the woman to not require men to own her as property. this raiding and taking captive behaviour can still happen in times of anarchy (wars etc), but not as usual course.

3. deepak75

deepak75 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Your sentiments are worth empathy, but it is a fact that in Kashmir there were several instances in the initial years of our Pakistani friends largessee when several burqua clad men were throwing grenades at our security men.

More to your mention of Rajiv Gandhi's assasination, suicide attempts were not exactly the run of the mill terrorist attacks then. Also there was collusion from local organization. It is in public domain.

But the point is not about a dress or of someone's choice of wearing it. The point is about a mandatory social environment. There are black tie restaurants all over the world, there are attire specfications in places all over the world. The choice to visit these outlets is personal as much as one's choice of dress is personal. I am sure you will understand.

I do not like to give away my cigarrettes when going to a movie but I have to and I lose them everytime. I do not also like to be patted down. But, it is my choice to walk away from the movie otherwise. Law is for national and public security and governance. Religion is personal choice. So the difference.

1 person likes this.
  4. JANA

JANA 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Deepak being a female, i say YOU as a man has NO right to force bikini or burqa on us.

Why this should be your privilege how you want to see a woman.

Look around on all these debating forums and even some publications more than women who are in reality should be given this right, but more than women its YOU males who are deciding in two extremes.

One group wants to see women like that picture of cheerleader girls or flesh showing just because this group like to see them that way and think its liberation for women.

The other group wants to see women covered away from eyes of men just because they think its protecting women.

NOW have you ever tried to check what women want?

We have both the tendencies some wants to wear burqa and some wants to be in bikni even in public. Let them have what they want but according to their view NOT what men think suitable for us.

5. brain_dead

brain_dead Captain SENIOR MEMBER

oh please stop putting words in other's mouth.
    i never said there should be a complete ban on burqa, but it should be banned from sensitive places.

I don’t think this argument really needs any response.
    Basically what you are saying is: “close your eyes to burqa stealing and forget about it so they continue stealing your infants and belongins. Meanwhile you think about how many non-burqa wearing man are killing ure civilians.”
    can u see the absurdity of your statement..?

6. JANA

Yeah Delhi is the most safest city for women in India as compared to backward, traditional Chennai right :alcoholic:

7. brain_dead

i cant say if its safer than chennai or not, but i can tell you it is much safer than any city of Pakistan.

8. libertarianatheist

libertarianatheist FULL MEMBER

Well, its a failure of law enforcement if there is crime against women in delhi (there is more of other types of crime in delhi too).

certainly i won't advise any woman to parade naked in somalia or south africa either (other places where law enforcement fails generally).

however, this has nothing to do with the nature of the burqa, which is undeniably a symbol of patriarchy and property status of women.

9. Coltsfan

I agree, private institutions and establishments can create their own dress code, as long as it does not discriminate against a particular religion.

For example: they can mandate that faces of all patrons must not be hidden.

In US you have to take off the hat when entering the bank so that face is in clear view. But they can not ban Burqa as long as security camera can catch person's face.

My whole argument throughout has been that a middle ground can be reached without imposing a blanket ban on burqua.

Disclaimer: I personally do not like the concept or logic behind imprisoning women behind Burqua, but I will defend the rights of women who freely choose to wear it.

10. deepak75

deepak75 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

LOL I cannot even make my girlfriend wear what I want, leave alone the whole female population...... ahhhh how I wish.

But to the point, quite agreeable what you say. Where I start to differ is that both Burqua and Bikini are acceptable in different worlds so let us not hold perjudice to any of those. Depends where you are looking at it from. People wear what endears them to their choice of world so it is all personal (impetus added on PERSONAL). It is no business of state what individual wears as long as the attire is per the laws that may be prevalent in the state.

I like this part more. It should be woman's choice and not subjugative symbol as one of our friends alluded to above while mentioning a certain tribal culture.

11. Coltsfan

I never said you were asking for a blanket ban.

12. JANA

:) Only if the phobic world could understand this notion there wont be any idiot man finding excuses for banning any attire be it shalwar kameez, sari, bikni, skirt, dhoti

The entire silliness arose due to silly denial by some about choice of attire by different people.

13. brain_dead

surely according to ure screwed intelligence u cant even see whats the point of this whole debate.
    though ure own country is the best example as to why burqa should be banned from sensitive places, where burqa wearing jihadis are bombing streets on daily basis.

14. brain_dead

whats the fuss about then...??

15. abirbec04

abirbec04 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Burqa is medieval, I am surprised a feminist champion like JANA is supporting this stupidity because of her pathological urge to oppose anything the Bharatis say.

Women are not slaves, this is 21st century .......... ban that stupid burqa but ban Shiv Sena along with it.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.