Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Small Modular Reactors

Discussion in 'Europe & Russia' started by BMD, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Gessler

Gessler Mod MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Please....don't try to make politicians out of scientists. Unfortunately the duties of a PM do not stop at making policy and executing it, he has to be charismatic and be a man of the people. All I can say is that someone like Kalam would never be able to lead a party (or himself) to victory in the elections. At least not while still retaining the qualities that make him Kalam.

Scientists have a place in society - politicians have theirs. A scientist manages to do his job nicely doesn't mean we should have him to do everything from politics to sadak chaap.

2. The enlightened

The enlightened Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

[​IMG]

3. The enlightened

Disagree with solar. It has uses but grid electricity is not one of them.

Annual capacity factor of at most 20% even in India. And all of that is dumped inside a couple of hours at noon. Rest of the time, you need backups - non-existent storage or as we see in the real world - more fossil fuels. Ivanpah, a CSP plant which is the most advanced tech in solar apparently, located at altitude, with supposed CUF of 30% is basically a natural gas plant. The worst part is that buying solar power is compulsory for power utilites which means that solar plants walk into the grid anytime (as dictated by surya dev) and excess power from other plants - coal, nuclear etc. are shut off. Sitting idle drives cost up for them and nuclear is already fairly costly. Worse, excess use of unreliables (wind/solar) will destroy your grid.

http://dailycaller.com/2016/05/11/g...electricity-to-prevent-green-energy-meltdown/

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  4. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    You need Li-ion batteries to make solar and wind work properly but distributed generation is a problem for the grid.

Thorium reactors are as far from realisation as fusion reactors and not as good, therefore a dead-end investment.

I would go biomass and gas for 30 years, then fusion power and build up solar and wind with storage in the meantime.

5. Flyboy!

Flyboy! Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Anyone is better than an anpadh sadak chaap who fakes and lies. Kalam was both charismatic and a man of the people. He visited my school in 2008 and there was a crowd of more than one lakh just to see him. If he was PM he would have more charisma than modi.

vstol jockey likes this.
  6. Flyboy!

Country Flag:
    India
    You will have to agree on this one . Solar can be used effectively in central India and Rajasthan, taking them off or making them less dependant on the hydro - thermal grid. It has to be optimised for high irradiation zones.

7. The enlightened

Solar is thoroughly useless as a source grid energy so I have to agree with nothing. Without massive government subsidies and favorable rules, Solar would immediately die. It has never been cost-effective and shall never be so.

[​IMG]

Furthermore solar plants are basically gas plants which are very bad for environment. Lithium storage is as realistic as Mars Colony but even more costlier.

Thorium MSR was proven in the 1960's. Starting from scratch it will take about 20 years to build them today.

Fusion? There is no such thing as fusion power plant. Today or 50 years from today. ITER (which uses the most advanced fusion design available) isn't building a fusion power plant either. There is no generator attached to harness any energy it generates (a non-trivial task in itself) which would be pointless since it can only operate for 10 minutes. And still costs a whopping $25 billion (sure to increase as it did from original $10billion).

Tokamak fusion is as big a lie as wind and solar. Wind can stop blowing for months. Or it can blow too fast for the turbine. There is practically no sun for nearly 2 months of monsoon. Even on their best day they can only supply energy for a few hours intermittently destroying your grids.

[​IMG]

Nuclear is the only safe cost-effective, environmentally friendly, quickly scaleable source of energy in the world. Deal with it.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  8. Flyboy!

Country Flag:
    India
    I worked for 4 years on off grid solar HVAC-PV systems. You are grossly wrong on your posts.

BMD likes this.
  9. The enlightened

I am completely correct about everything. You are either misinformed or likely ignorant. Thank you.

10. Flyboy!

Country Flag:
    India
    Thanks for the clarification. I worked on 5 solar HVAC-PV patents, got one myself, further ended up licencing all of them. People like me and my lab-mates and even elon musk are all bloody idiots.

11. The enlightened

Finally a post of some substance. Well done.

12. Flyboy!

Country Flag:
    India
    Yup. thanks. You cant even post a pic properly on the forum. talk about substance.

13. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    For India, solar is a very good solution, which is why they have the world's largest solar farm at 4GW. Storage is the missing link right now, but that has become affordable recently. Solar technology is also advancing at quite a rate with concentrator heterojunction PV and PERC technology.

14. The enlightened

15. Averageamerican

Averageamerican Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    [​IMG]Puerto Rico solar farm after hurricane

The enlightened likes this.