Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

South Korea tells its firms to stop PoK investments

Discussion in 'South Asia & SAARC' started by Butter Chicken, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Butter Chicken

Butter Chicken Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    SEOUL: South Korean vice minister for foreign affairs Cho Hyun said here on Monday that the South's government has given "enough warning" to companies that have shown interest in investing in Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (PoK) to refrain from doing so.

"South Korea fully understands India's sensitivity. We will try to refrain these companies from working in PoK," Cho said. He was earlier posted in New Delhi as South Korea's ambassador.

Admitting that a few South Korean companies had shown interest in doing business in PoK, Cho did not give their names. The issue of South Korean companies' interests came up after Pakistan tried to get investment in energy and infrastructure projects in PoK and Gilgit-Baltistan.

These two regions, which were parts of undivided J&K, are claimed by India by a parliamentary resolution. Earlier, India had also raised its concerns with China over huge Chinese investments in PoK.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/rest-of-world/south-korea-tells-its-firms-to-stop-pok-investments/articleshow/61827970.cms

2. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    This is a direct result of India agreeing to finally talk tougher on North Korea. No idea what India was waiting for all these years. India needs friends like South Korea, whether it's for economic development and investment, economic isolation of Pakistan, building a coalition of friendly countries opposed to China, or even to corner those North Korean bastards who have directly harmed Indian interests by proliferating nuclear technology.

3. BlackOpsIndia

BlackOpsIndia Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Only difference is India took action, committed something, bear trade loss and South Korea just give "warnings", no action yet and there won't be.

Countries often use these pacifying techniques for domestic feel good propaganda.

dadeechi and Wolfpack like this.
  4. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States

Trade loss? With who, North Korea? Lmfao, India's economy will be just fine without that trade. And I think it's frankly shameful that India continued trading with North Korea even after North Korea's known involvement in nuclear proliferation/black market activities. But then India still runs a massive trade deficit with China and still refuses to declare Pakistan a terrorist state.

5. BlackOpsIndia

Country Flag:
    India
    Indian export to North Korea was around $60 million USD. This not a small volume by any means (remember this are exports not GDP figures).

Secondly it may not affect somebody sitting in AC room but almost all of it was agricultural and pharmaceutical, some very important sectors in India. If you can't find other export destinations for these products you are looking for more farmers misery which is already very stressed sector.

Thirdly all that idealistic, don't care attitude looks good on forum but in reality the end user of medicines and agricultural products are common people of North Korea which by no law or argument responsible for Kim Jong's actions.

So while you got rid of your embarrassment infront of your foreign friends (who never feel embarrassed for training Taliban n terrorism everywhere) the farmer of my country lost some market and common man of Korea already suffering due to extreme sanctions lost food and medicine supply.

Enjoy!

dadeechi likes this.
  6. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States

And North Korean exports to India were $34M. So with an economy the size of India, with potential to be much much bigger, you're crying over $26M. Not to mention, you're complaining as if there aren't plenty of other countries where you could sell those agricultural or pharmaceutical products (there's no end to markets for that, why don't you try Africa, there's an entire continent in the market for that stuff).

Then you go on some silly philosophical spiel about the North Korean people, who are completely irrelevant and immaterial to India's strategic interests. Not to mention it's silly to even think that all of those agricultural or pharmaceutical products are even being given to those people, and not just being stockpiled by their Government, or re-sold on the black market for profits. If the North Korean Government was so benevolent, their people wouldn't be steeped in absolute misery and defecting to the South given even the remotest chance at escape.

Not even gonna waste my time on the stupid "foreign friend jibe," as an NRI, I'm used to hearing stupid shit like that from time to time. Anyhow, keep thinking small and fretting over $26M while trading with countries that provide illegal nuclear tech to your archenemy who threatens to nuke you every other weak LMFAO.

7. BlackOpsIndia

Country Flag:
    India
    Well that's some brilliant economics! 60-34=26 how simple!

I guess we can this easily subtract goods like this and our farmers will never suffer. We can always provide them AC, cars, TV for wheat and they will stop suicide. They can always deposited that TV or car in bank and get money for next crop!

Isn't it some thing?! So beautiful, so simple, so elegant. The least you could do if you had no knowledge of how economy works is to read more instead of ranting and exposing yourself more.

And how simple was that line, try Africa! As if you are not trying already? Do you know primary consumer of Indian pharma industry? And yes Africa is unexplored, there lands are barren and they have lot of money to buy from Europe,US, China, Russia and India.

We can always leave our established market for that rich continent, how foolish our planners are, they never get this idea. I will write to PMO about this brilliant idea.

Some rule! Sell to the people who matter strategically only. Profit from non strategic people is as bad as nothing.

Rule No 2 of economics, the government can buy all your exports and you must worry about it as even after your profit your goods will be expensive then those repacked goods from North Korea in free market to which NK don't even have a trade relation.

But hey we can sell them in black market! Black market for aspirin, disprin, ek bori genhu. How hilarious is it even think black market for food and pharma when open market is flooded with cheaper goods.

BTW who are the buyer's of agricultural and pharma black market? Russian arms mafia? Stop living in fantasy world and movies.

NK providing nuke tech to Pakistan or China? I thought Pak and China already have nuclear weapons! That's a news to me.

How ironic is that after bearing the burden of sanctions ourselves cuz US said we can't have nuke we still belittle a country going thru same conditions!

When will this kissing ass of West to decide who can have nuclear weapons and who not will stop? We have no problems with flourishing trade relations with US who funds our enemy, but we will lose our market of some country never really showed any animosity just to kiss ass of US.

There are no morals in trade only profit, last thing I will need is a lecture on morality and black-market from a western country, those pricks makes a living out of real blackmarkets not imaginary ones.

8. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States

You tried to frame it as if India was making a pure profit of $60M. Which really wasn't the case, the trade deficit was $26M. And neither a $26M trade deficit nor a $60M trade relationship is Earth shattering for an economy the size of India. As for your rant on not being able to find other markets, that's plain BS. Africa, as a market and trade/investment destination was largely unexplored up until the Modi Government arrived, because previous Governments simply had no imagination, and in the case of Africa, China totally beat India there.

Next, your rant about North Korean people needing medicine and all that, is irrelevant, and it's not like only they need medicine or agricultural products, so you're going in some weird circles there. Same goes for your bizarre attempt to counter my argument about those food products and medical products not necessarily reaching the North Korean people. So basically, you played a shoot and scoot game where first you harped about the poor North Korean people who need food and medicine, and then when I argued that their "needs" and moral position vis a vis the North Korean Government are irrelevant, and that those products sold to NK may not even be reaching the common people, you quickly changed your position to purely profit based, about how at the end of the day you still make money by selling to North Korea - which is a dumb argument because if profits were all that mattered to you, guess what, North Korea isn't the only country to sell these things to in the world.

I never said North Korea provided nuclear weapons to China. I talked about trading with countries and running massive trade deficits with countries that provide nuclear and other tech to your arch enemy. It is widely believed that China, the same country which is openly antagonistic to India and which India runs a massive trade deficit with, gave Pakistan nuclear technology; and the same North Korea that you are so desperate to trade with, handed over missiles and critical missile technology to Pakistan. But we should keep that regime propped up for the sake of a $26M trade surplus, or for the sake of the poor North Korean people, or for the sake of some random Indian farmers you keep harping about; whatever your reason was lol.

And holy shit, I can't even believe your closing comments; I didn't know there were freaking North Korean sympathizers on this blog. Now THAT is news to me. And seriously, you're really gonna compare the US and North Korea here? That is the absolute zenith of delusion. Lastly, it's not got anything to do with "kissing the ass" of the US, but it's common sense that North Korea is essentially Pakistan by another name, it's another puppet of your existential enemy China, it sold missiles and missile tech to Pakistan, and is itself an existential enemy of friendly ASEAN countries like South Korea and Japan, who India could use on its side (from every perspective - diplomacy, economy, military).

9. BlackOpsIndia

Country Flag:
    India
    Yeah India gained independence after 2014, all innovation, all ideas, all good things happened after that, before that people were too dumb, just in 3 years they ramped up the production and became world leaders!

Happy now?

Sympathetic to North Korea? Is this the best you could come up with? What a downer!

All of your posts in this thread lacks facts and more about fake morality, screaming hypocrisy, which again I will say no country in world has right to preach a everyone is indulged in something or other, though USA takes the first prize. And again comparing NK to Pak? What is that? Either you are talking for sake of argument or you have no idea about the difference between two.

I will say again US is nobody to decide who can have nuclear weapons and who cannot and being an Indian for whom USA placed sanctions, created full world order to treat us as a nuclear pariah state(NPT,CTBT,MTCR,NSG) I will take NK side any day on this issue, you can follow your loyalty to whoever.

Peace.

10. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States

Aw great, am I talking to a North Korea sympathizer AND a Congress/AAP supporter? You talk about loyalties, but that doesn't sound like someone remotely loyal to India. Peace!

11. BlackOpsIndia

Country Flag:
    India
    So when I am getting my free ticket to Korea?

It's the second step after calling someone pro Pakistani and pro Korean, right? Or is it announcing bounty for my head? Forgive me am not aware of SOP.

12. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    Nah, no free tickets, you should buy one with your own money since you're so worried about giving North Korea trade.

As for your head, I'm not really interested in that anyways...

13. nik141993

nik141993 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    people need to look at bigger picture

NK has more than 6 trillion$ in mineral reserve's majority being heavy rare earth.
    https://nypost.com/2017/07/03/north-korea-is-sitting-on-6-trillion-in-mineral-resources/

India reaches out, wants to upgrade ties with North Korea
    http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...rade-ties-with-north-korea/article7656332.ece
    I am quoting from the article
    India Should maintain diplomatic & trade relation with NK no matter what as it is in our economic interest to do so.

dadeechi and BlackOpsIndia like this.
  14. Lion of Rajputana

Country Flag:
    United States
    Do you really think China (especially) and Russia would let anyone else even get a sniff of those things when they're already geographically proximate and deeply invested in North Korea for more than half a century?

Simultaneously, how well do you think such a move would play out in countries like South Korea or Japan with whom India will need to work to build a local consensus/partnership against China?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  15. dadeechi

dadeechi Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Anyone who thinks that the barter deal between NK & Pak would have happened without China is delusional. China was the key player in that deal with it was orchestrating all the moves while NK & PAK were just the pawns. If not NK, Pak would have received the Chinese missile tech through some other means. It is amusing to see the big daddy superpower who turned a blind eye to these blatant violations and proliferation in the early 1990s is now concerned about India doing ~60 million trade related to food and medicines...

Butter Chicken likes this.