Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

SpyDer-SR LL-QRM/QR-SAM Deliveries Have Begun; Aerostat-mounted EL/M-2083s to Follow Next

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Gessler, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Gessler

Gessler Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    [​IMG]

Following a nine-year wait, both the Indian Air Force (IAF) and Indian Army (IA) are now poised to replace their existing inventories of OSA-AKM and ZRK-BD Strela-10M SHORADS with the RAFAEL of Israel’s Spyder-SR system. The IAF refers to the Spyder-SR as a low-level quick reaction missile (LL-QRM), while the Army calls it quick-reaction surface-to-air missile (QR-SAM). First to deploy them will be the IAF, which will use the SpyDer-SRs to defend its six air bases spread throughout Jammu & Kashmir, Punjab and Haryana.

[​IMG]

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) had approved the IAF’s requirement in July 2008, and a US$293 million contract for the supply of an initial 18 launchers (making up one squadron) was signed in December 2008. Deliveries were to begin in early 2012 and were to be concluded by August 2012. However, the deliveries could not begin due to a last-minute decision by both the IAF and IA to use high-mobility trucks supplied by TATA Motors, instead of the BEML-supplied TATRA high-mobility trucks.

[​IMG]

The IA had received the green light to procure four regiments of the Spyder-SR in August 2009, and a $900 million contract was inked later that year. The Spyder-SR is the culmination of joint R & D efforts undertaken by RAFAEL and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI). It is a short-range (15km range), low-level (from 20 metres through to 9,000 metres altitude) integrated, all-weather air-defence system that makes use of the ground-launched Python 5 imaging infra-red guided and Derby radar-guided missiles, which complement each other in their target detection, tracking and pursuit profile . Both missiles are equipped with lock-on before launch (LOBL) and lock-on after launch (LOAL) modes for faster response time and improved engagement flexibility.

[​IMG]

A Spyder-SR battery includes up to six missile launch vehicles (each equipped with four missile launchers), missile reloaders and a command-and-control Unit that also accommodates the IAI/ELTA Systems-built EL/M-2106NG ATAR 3-D surveillance radar and two operating consoles. The radar can simultaneously track and engage up to 60 targets at a range beyond 35km (depending on the terrain). The command-and-control unit interfaces with the missile launch vehicles via wireless data-link (for up to as distance of 100km) to enable optimal unit dispersion for effective area coverage, mutual protection and survivability. The system's high cross-country mobility offers quick deployment and operational agility. The Spyder-SR also has VHF/HF communications networks for internal squadron-level communication and to upper-tier commands. Once the operator decides to launch a missile, an automatic procedure begins.

[​IMG]

The command-and-control centre assigns the target to the appropriate launch vehicle and the selected missile will start to search for the target. If the target is within acquisition range the missile will be launched in LOBL mode. If the target is beyond seeker acquisition range the missile will be launched in LOAL mode. The seeker searches for the target and when it acquires the target it begins the terminal homing phase. Both LOAL and LOBL modes are available for the Derby and Python 5. Destruction of the target is achieved either by the warhead blasting upon impact or by proximity fuze.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Providing early-warning cues for the IAF’s plains-deployed SpyDer-SRs will be the DRDO-developed and BEL-built Ashwini LMRSRs.

[​IMG]

To be delivered later this year will be six aerostats (supplied by Russia’s Rosoboronexport State Corp and procured by Reliance Defence Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Reliance Infrastructure Ltd) that will all be fitted with IAI-supplied EL/M-2083 early-warning radars. The IAF already operates two such aerostat-mounted radars that were ordered in 2005 and were delivered in 2007.

[​IMG]

https://trishul-trident.blogspot.in/2017/03/spyder-sr-ll-qrmqr-sam-deliveries-have.html

@randomradio @PARIKRAMA @Abingdonboy @Agent_47 @MilSpec

SR-91, turkish, Grevion and 7 others like this.
  2. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Captain Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    @Hellfire

Wasn't the 2008 deal about 6 MR Systems for IAF ? With the first delivered made in 2013 itself ?

Why everyone is reporting about SR? Did we convert our orders to SR?

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  3. Hellfire

Hellfire Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India

Nope

Remains MR. This seems to be a different order in the same period.

4. shaktimaan

shaktimaan 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I think IAF had SPYDER system from long time (maybe from 2013 )
    This is the pic of IAF spyder system from year 2015

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    PARIKRAMA, Abingdonboy and Hellfire like this.
  5. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    SR SAM project remains the Maitri project. This maybe a stop gap measure.

@shaktimaan the SPYDER was not there for 'long time'. Evaluations were being done. However, under IACCCS, this may have been done keeping in mind the prevailing security considerations.

@Ankit Kumar 001 you may recall we had discussed MR-SAM units elsewhere in Feb Mar 2016 with 02 x regiments being operational with IAF. Well, updated seems all have been inducted. So I guess this remains a stop gap measure till the DRDO-French JV materialises.
    This maybe of use:

http://www.indiandefencereview.com/news/tiered-defence-putting-the-sam-in-perspective/0/

@Abingdonboy

6. Gessler

Country Flag:
    India
    @Hellfire @Ankit Kumar 001

I've been hearing about Indian orders for SpyDer-MR but I have personally never seen the MR in Indian service. Only SR.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  7. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    Not able to copy content

another interesting write up

http://idrw.org/maitri-sr-sam-project-analysis/

Au contraire MR-SAM is confirmed in. This was confirmed by me personally last year to @Abingdonboy and @Ankit Kumar 001 was requested by me to remove the exact locations of the units as he had posted them elsewhere.

SR-SAM is being a saga of trying to fit Akash as a stop gap .... however, I believe the SR-SAM may have been the part of recent purchases ..... IAF was not on board for SR-SAM as they found Akash and MR-SAM fitting into their overall plan. But with responsibility increasingly being shifted to an aerospace command, the SR-SAM maybe the tiered AD set up being planned on a national scale by mobilising all resources and introducing a common platform across services.

The SR-SAM project may help Navy also. Speculative at best for me so far.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    SR-91, PARIKRAMA, Abingdonboy and 2 others like this.
  8. Gessler

Country Flag:
    India
    Are there any pics of SpyDer-MR in Indian service?

On the other hand - I believe the SpyDer-MR largely renders the Akash Mk-1 obsolete. The Derby & Py-5 fitted with additional booster stage give them a reach of up to 35km. Yet another thing, I think Akash-2 project is a waste of money...the Barak-8 is much superior and far more modern & is cued by AESA radars - it can do anything any Akash can, and then a lot more.

Simply producing more Barak-8s (at a seperate production facility if needed) would be far more beneficial IMO than pursuing Akash-2/NG or whatever it's called. However an improved Akash (basically, an improved Buk) may have some scope on the export market.

PARIKRAMA and Abingdonboy like this.
  9. Immanuel

Immanuel 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

IAF should have received at least 6 by 2013 and atleast 10 of it's 18 systems by now.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  10. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Really? When did army buy spyder SAM ? That too fotr $900 million? Did I miss something?

Why do IA routinely release RFI for QRSAM for 2000+ numbers then?

There is no maitri SAM for IA/IAF.

Hellfire and PARIKRAMA like this.
  11. Immanuel

Immanuel 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

IA did order the Spyder and their deliveries will happen soon as well, as for why they waste their time with RFIs, its their own internal non sense.

Hellfire and PARIKRAMA like this.
  12. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
  13. Agent_47

Country Flag:
    India
    I'm yet to see a credibile source. RFI means there is still a huge requirement. If this huge deal of $900 million was signed 7 years back then there won't be an RFI or evaluation. @Hellfire

DRDO QRSAM is for IA. BEL is building a separate facility to produce these in huge numbers.

14. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

Hence my 'speculative' approach earlier. However, FORCE did report as provided in link so my speculation that it is stop gap off the shelf procurement as reported about immediate procurements in aftermath of surgical strikes ... maybe credible.

Our AD Missile groups that is 501 and 502 AD groups, remain formidable with the SA-6 in their inventory.

The operators swear by their equipment .... has an optical guidance in addition to RADAR and IR guidance in it too!!!

15. Agent_47

Country Flag:
    India
    My problem is with '$900 million deal in 2009'.

Immediate procurement in small numbers cleared this year is a possible scenario.