Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Story Of A Naval Aviator - My Experience With Indian Navy

Discussion in 'The Officers Mess' started by vstol jockey, Oct 27, 2016.

1. MilSpec

MilSpec Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    PARIKRAMA and Inactive like this.
  2. Joe Shearer

Joe Shearer VETERAN MILITARY STRATEGIST

Sir, this is delightful reading. The reason for the deafening silence (!) is that everyone must be enjoying reading your memoirs. The only thing is that they are not enough.

Inactive likes this.
  3. Joe Shearer

One of the reasons for which I dislike Chacha Nehru, notwithstanding the sound democratic and secular principles that he laid down (never mind that they were corrupted and maimed beyond recognition by his daughter) was the commencement of the debasement of the services in the Order of Precedence. I am digging around for a copy of that in 1946, to show you what damage has been done in the interim, till today.

AbRaj, vstol jockey and Inactive like this.
  4. MilSpec

MilSpec Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    And we would would gobble up that book just like this thread, please keep going.

PARIKRAMA, Joe Shearer and Inactive like this.
  5. nair

nair Die hard Romeo Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    @vstol jockey every one is reading ur posts with the same enthusiasm most of us shown when we got our comic books when we were kids...

We may wait for your post in silence....

PARIKRAMA and Joe Shearer like this.
  6. Inactive

Inactive Guest

@vstol jockey

You may want to pay attention to the bold portion ..... the comic books analogy .....!!!!

Now you know!!!!:LMAO:

@nair you are alluding to something here? :sarcastic:

You made my day:respect:

nair, PARIKRAMA and scorpionx like this.
  7. Joe Shearer

@vstol jockey

Just ignore our resident Narada Muni :artillery: and continue - please.

Inactive likes this.
  8. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    Pls do. Go ahead.

Inactive and PARIKRAMA like this.
  9. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    NDA from very beginning taught us that "excuse" is not an option. You have to be a go getter and you must resort to beg, borrow or steal to ensure that all your equipment is perfectly in shape. To this end, a great game used to go on in NDA. In night, you suddenly hear air being removed from cycles, this was due to stealing of valve bodies from tyres. Someone had just "Managed" to get his cycle back in order for next day. We used to have "double outdoors" that is we had our normal PT period followed by Drill or vice versa. So we used to carry our uniform for Drill/PT on our cycles. The standard procedure was to lock the whole kit especially the drill boots with a chain to our cycles. However some really enterprising guys carried tools with which they cud open the locks and walk away with your equipment. You can't take an excuse behind the fact that your stuff has been stolen. You have to just face the music for it. Everyone knew about this and no one did anything to stop it.

10. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    In NDA we all are required to bath naked. This is for better hygiene. But this was also used as a beauty contest to judge "Academy Queen". We had these guys from hills who were very fair and also thin compared to bulky guys like me who came from plains of north India or dark complexioned coursemates from south India. So the seniors wud watch you when you took bath and they will declare a "Squadron Queen" and then these guys will go on and compare all Queens from every squadron and chose the "Academy Queen". This was also known as "The Soap Trophy". That is when you bend down to pick up your soap which had fallen from your hand. One aspect for which we were not medically examined was our hormone levels but it seems IA selection system is designed to select the most Tharki guys to be cadets and Officers. We suddenly found that our libido was not in our control in NDA and just the sight of a woman will make us drool over them. May be it was due to the exercises we did and the ragda that we got.

Levina, Techy, Joe Shearer and 3 others like this.
  11. Inactive

Inactive Guest

THE FULL MONTY

comes to mind:badass:

GuardianRED likes this.
  12. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    A Normal day in NDA starts with morning muster at 0515 hrs in front of the squadron after which we wud recite our NDA Prayer and then disperse to join our classes. We had three periods before breakfast. after that we wud be back in our squadrons for a quick bath, change to academic uniform and proceed for Breakfast. The breakfast was a really big affair. Most of us ate nearly 16-20 toasts and yet felt hungry within two hours. Food in NDA is really great, much better compared to what we had in Ghorpadi wing. Every second termer was given an overstudy, a third termer who was supposed to guide and teach the NDA way of life to this new joinee and also take his ragda class to make him behave as per norms of NDA. We were required to sit next to this overstudy and he used to teach us eating habits and style which an officer is required to have. use of knife and fork was also taught. But the best part was about bread. We had to apply butter and jam to it in a particular manner with strokes in one direction only while holding it with fingers. It was not supposed to be rested on palm. after that we were required to use fork and knife without making a noise to cut it and eat it. Sometimes our overstudy will make us have square or hexagonal meal. Square meal meant that you will raise your food to the level of your mouth and then make a square with your food in front of your face and then eat it.
    After the breakfast, we had another four periods followed by lunch. After lunch we again ahd a fallin at 1530hrs in squadron courtyard. there we were given ragda and heat treatment. The courtyard has granite slabs and they used to get terribly hot in summers. We had to roll over them bare back and also do push ups or lie flat on it to let the heat seap into our bodies. It was really very painful and we used to suffer burns as a result. After that we wud normally go for a x-country run to be back by 1700hrs and after that tea was served. this followed by a quick shower and we changed to Mufti for a study period of two hrs between 1800-2000 hrs. Followed by dinner, some more ragda and lights out at 2200hrs. I had known that an army moves on its stomach but I learnt a new thing in NDA that army runs also on full stomach. No where in the world anyone does exercise just after one hour of a heavy meal. We used to run x-country after Lunch.

Levina, Techy, Joe Shearer and 4 others like this.
  13. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    In NDA, the kind of training they impart you and their methodology has no parallels in the world. within two months of joining main NDA, the boxing trophy preparations started and I was a gold medalist boxer from ghorpadi wing, I was straight away included in the squadron boxing team. If the ragda was extreme, what was to follow was beyond extreme. We have a hill feature in NDA specially called Boxers Hill. We have to run with a cadet of our own weight category up the hill. Then on top of the hill we are made to do lots of exercises and then run down the hill at full speed. This is repeated atleast 5-6 times. We keep our gloves on during all these exercises so that the weight of gloves becomes part of our own body. After that we run back to the squadron and there, anyone is made to wear the gloves, we wear our protective gear, and those guys hammer us on our chest/stomach. We can't defend ourselves and we have to keep our hands locked behind our back. After 30 mins of hammering, we are made to fight three rounds of boxing with a person of our weight category. My partner was a 5th termer and I defeated him in every practice. Boxers in NDA are excused all ragdas and punishments within the squadron and given lot of respect. They have full liberty to eat their food the way they want to. they are excused table manners and other cadets of the squadron give their own butter to them. I was advised to bring my weight down by another 1.5kgs and fight in light welterweight. This resulted in lot of advantage for me but reducing weight was going to be a big problem for me. AND this weight had a Gadhwali guy from Hunter squadron who in his fourth term was Academy Boxing Vice Captain and also adjudged the best Boxer of NDA. One of my senior wanted to avoid him in his quest for a gold and so I was told to fight in the lower weight.
    In NDA, weighing is done three days before the bouts and its done only once. I went on diet and yet followed every exercise regime and the punishing practices but my weight just refused to come down below 64 kgs. I was worried but my squadron boxing captain, who is now a MARCOs and had taken part as head of the team in 26/11 ops, was least bothered. On the day of the boxing, he mounted his cycle and I was told to keep pace with him with two woollen pullovers on. A team of my squadron mates was ready with four blankets. I sweated like hell and when I reached the boxing stadium, these guys covered me with those blankets and walked over me. I checked my weight and I was 63.5 kgs. To be on the safe side, this exercise was repeated and finally I cleared the weight at 63 kgs. I rode back on my bycycle with a sixth termer with me to ensure that no fifth term sergeant or any cadet position holder stops me. The moment I reached the squadron, all the Boxers were given a royal treat. Lots of samosas and Bondas and cake from our dear own Mr. Kapoors canteen. This happened on a Friday and our bouts started from Monday. I realised one thing that day. Bali ka Bakra probably must have felt the same way everytime he ate the lavish food it was given. My Situation was no different.

Levina, Techy, Joe Shearer and 3 others like this.
  14. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    On first day of boxing, I went and watched this Gadhwali guy fighting in the ring. I was shocked to see the way he played with his opponent and he probably had no bones in his body. He cud just bend backwards and comeback to punch you even before you had recovered. he was really an outstanding boxer. My bout took place the next day and I win in first round knock out. I fought two more bouts and all of them were first round knock outs. As I had progressed, this guy also came to watch my semi-final bout as I had made a big impression by winning all my bouts in first round knock out and everyone wanted to see how I will measure upto this guy from Gadhwal. We had a break of three days between our respective last bouts. he sent me a message thru one of my coursemates from Hunter squadron to report sick and avoid a fight with him as he was going to kill me in the bout. I had watched all his bouts and had formulated my own counter for him. His message made me realise one thing-He was scared.
    In my own squadron, no one gave even a remote chance that I can wing against him. I was even briefed by my own Boxing captain that If I can fight three rounds against him, irrespective of the result, that will be counted as my win. Such was his aura as a boxer. I had lot of ability to take hits and that was my very strong point. At the same time I also had very shocking tactic which was pointed out to me by my boxing captain as a fault in my defence. I never told him that I do that as part of tactic and not because I have a faulty technique. Whole academy including our senior most officers, Directing staff and Saabs wanted to watch this fight. So it was kept as the first final bout for the day.

Levina, Golden_Rule, Techy and 7 others like this.
  15. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    On the day of the bout while I was getting ready and warming up, once again my boxing captain told me to just fight three rounds against him. I went into the bout. Our Commandant, Dy Com and nearly every officer of NDA was present. the shouting from stands was up up daggers, we want blood and up up head hunters, get the head. I knocked him out in less than a minute infact within 30 seconds. he was removed to our MI room for medical treatment. I was taken on shoulders to my squadron by my seniors. I have memory of what all happened after that. I was in a situation who was neither amongst living nor dead. Such was the hammering I got to win this fight. I was Attend-C for seven days while this guy was Attend-C for 14 days. I had lot of pain in breathing, my lips were completely burst, my nose shattered, and the rib cage was as if it had been crushed by a road roller.

My game plan worked as I played to my strength-I cud take lot of hits and yet remain standing and fight. I had noticed in his previous bouts that his aura was such that whoever fought him was always on defensive. That gave him the ability to use his superior technique to play around with his opponents. he also always controlled the centre of the ring making his opponent to fight on the a bigger canvas and lose strength as a result while he just rotated around and conserved his strength. I used to allow my opponent to hit me to score a point in order to create an opening for a knockout punch. It was this tactic which made my Boxing captain call a flaw in my defences. But I never left my diaphragm unprotected. Proper breathing and exact footwork is a must for boxing. The strength in the punch comes mainly from your torso and thighs. Being a footballer and man of odd size-I have same length of upper body as my legs, gave me a lower CG compared to guys with Ideal body figures. This helped me not just in Football as a full back but also in Boxing.

The moment BOX was announced, I charged at him and started the fight without taking a guard. He was totally shocked by the ferocity of my assault on him. I took lot of hits during this time. But soon my punches started having the desired effect and he was forced to resort to defensive tactics. I continued my assault. We exchanged over sixty punches each during this bout of 30 seconds and finally he left his diaphragm unprotected. I struck him him with full force there. he lost his breath and started chocking but he was still standing. My boxing captain shouted to me-ib kay dekh raya hai, khatam kar susarray ko. I moved forward and knocked him out. He flew, rotated to his right and fell flat in the ring. There was just partial counting and I was awarded Knock out.

Boxers are called idiots, blood thirsty maniacs and what not. But most don't realise is that even when we are being hit badly, our brain works and we have to play the game as per our tactics. BOXING DOES NOT HAVE DOUBLES AS A GAME.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016