Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Story Of A Naval Aviator - My Experience With Indian Navy

Discussion in 'The Officers Mess' started by vstol jockey, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Golden_Rule

Golden_Rule Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

@vstol jockey ..... In this crazy world where one hear and read a lot of negative news by dozens on a daily basis, this 4 page story of your experiences was a very very refreshing read ..... thank you so much for sharing your fun-filled experiences.

R!CK and vstol jockey like this.
  2. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    Sixth term started and we became the grand pops of NDA cadets. You are a boss whom no one touches, neither sahebs nor officers till you do something really silly. The DivOs who till now had been ruthless, now start behaving as Brother officers and you suddenly find that a DivO of your own service backing you to the hilt even if you did something wrong. The colours of uniform for the first time become evident. All of us who were till fifth term a bunch of idiots suddenly get identified with our respective service and all our staff respects us accordingly. We are required to behave in grandfatherly manner and show the maturity which we did not have till we became sixth termer.
    Last part of Sixth term for an even course is worst. We go for Camp Tri-Shakti when pre-monsoon showers are a routine in Tantya land as we called the land of Marathas due to Tantya Topey. I had won Anchor for Naval studies which is same as Dagger for Army cadets. While army guys used to paint their faces black and green and IAF cadets used to cycle 4kms to glider drome, we Royals of IN, just walked 100 yards to Naval classes and sat in air-conditioned rooms to learn basic naval craft. For the first time in my life realised that we have 58 ways to tie a knot. And each one had a specific requirement. We were supposed to learn ech of them as part of our job while IN had long back given up on sail ships which needed such knowledge. We learnt morse code and other signalling systems which were used by Lord Nelson. Ancient knowledge must be taught but can we make ourselves slave to it? IN believes that you can't learn anything unless you waste time in learning what is useless and has been replaced by better systems.

Levina and HariPrasad like this.
  3. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    Finally the D-Day arrived and we cleared all our exams-books which we dreaded and went for Camp Tri-Shakti. This is the last camp which we do jointly as course-mates and performance of every cadet in this camp actually defines the strength and calibre of each cadet as a potential officer of Indian Armed Forces. The Camp started with a visit to IAF base in Lohegaon, Pune. No-45 sqn which has now converted to LCA was there to show us how interceptions are done. We all stood on tarmac when two Mig-21s took off and after sometime another two Mig-21stook off. Soon the first lot attacked the base while the later ones who were on CAP swooped down on this strike. Bahoot badhiya nautanki kee IAF nay. They do it till date on every 26th Jan and make fool of whole of India to buy only imported stuff.
    Next we went to Mumbai and embarked on INS Ranjit which was the latest warship inducted from USSR at that time. All my course-mates from Army and IAF were shocked to see the grandeur of IN. They went mad with the quality of food and the way it was served. The naval cadets were also given the opportunity to take part in exercises. AND the best part was that we were allowed to purchase cigs/perfumes/soaps and other stuff from ships canteen. The Army and IAF guys were disembarked and sent to their respective service while we navallas continued on ships. The way we got treated was actually very much like a new bride is treated in a house only to be ragged soon by husband and his family members. What we did not know was that most officers on INS Ranjit were course-mates of our DivOs and all of us who had bought Rothmans at 3rs a packet were in for being robbed.

Levina likes this.
  4. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    We finally reached our camp site and joined our army cadets. To my shock, they were in desperate situation. They had problems with navigation and also with proper game plan to strike the enemy defences which was created by our Sahebs. The day I reached the site, I got a big welcome from my coursemates and they all asked me to take over the leadership. I readily agreed. Now we were asked to dig our trenches and all of us were subjected to a thorough check. All our perfumes and cigs were snatched from us which we got dirt cheap from the ships.
    The best part about the Army directing staff in NDA is that nearly everyone of them wud have easily been the most decorated officer of German Nazi Army as no one can ever defeat them in the game of torture. They gave us an area to dig trenches which was rocky. Whole night we tried to dig trenches and early in the morning at 1am, we were told to bury all our left overs, close the trenches and prepare for an attack on enemy position. So even before we cud take up defensive positions, we were asked to prepare for an assault. We had no energy left to even lift a shovel but now we had to go in for an attack. The game started with recce, locating enemy positions, preparing assault team, diversion and safe guarding flanks from enemy attacks. The recce team gave us the complete location of enemy. Based on that we devised a plan to go behind them and create a diversion by attacking them from front while the party which goes behind them completes the job. We explained our plan to our DivO. We also explained as to why we are not leaving a flank protection team. The entire game had to be done with clock work precision to ensure maximum effect. we divided ourselves in three groups. I was supposed to lead the group which was supposed too penetrate behind the enemy lines and signal to the other group to launch frontal assault. Once again Capt Bhatwadekar was our DivO who wud accompany the main assault team to judge us. The army cadets had been fucked beyond recognition in last three days and they were like ghosts who managed to walk. We Naval & AF guys provided fresh blood. Once again the responsibility to navigate came on me. But this time there was a change. The navigator had to be changed every 30minutes to judge every cadet in his ability to navigate at night. The attack had to be done before the morning twilight to take full advantage of darkness and the success depended on darkness and surprise.
    As I had written earlier, The navigator wud be the first man followed by the counter who counts the steps to keep a check on distance covered followed by rest of the team. The LMG man used to be third and stretcher man the last. The LMG man counted steps better as he had to give it up to next one and replace it with lighter SLR. But what we did in our squadron was that irrespective of the navigator was, I was supposed to be the counter and advise the navigator about correct waypoints. I was supposed to take over in the final part of assault to ensure pin point navigation and make up for mistakes of other navigators. We started our assault with this great game but to our shock, Capt Bhatwadekar from Maratha LI was about to sabotage us.
    We started by synchronising our clocks. I remained the counter for the first leg and advised the navigator. I also remained the counter for second leg. Now Capt Bhatwadekar was shocked. he had not seen my squadron Army cadets so accurate in navigation as they suddenly became. So he moved forward to the head of the strike section. He heard me giving instructions to the navigator. Guess what he did?
    He picked up a stone, signed it and put it in my mouth. His game was that if I spoke and advised the navigator, the stone will fall from my mouth and in the darkness while on the move, I will not be able to retrieve it. BUT, I knew the game as I had learnt Semaphore in Navy. I used tug on the rope to guide the navigator and for the final assault I was the navigator.
    The problem is that when you do such assaults, you can't use anykind of RT and everything is based on time and ability to be in correct position at right time.

Levina and Grevion like this.
  5. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    I was able to position the main assault team behind enemy line with 15 minutes to spare. We took time to get our breath back and started the assault at the decided time. The route I had chosen to infiltrate behind enemy position was long but was easy which allowed us to do speed march and that is how I saved time and being detected. We eliminated the enemy with zero loss as was given to us by our DivO. My gambit was a bold move in which we decided not to defend the flank but go for assault from front and rear using darkness as our strength. Every other squadron failed miserably against the company of JAT Regiment which had been deployed to act as enemy. My Delta squadron had now won the coveted trophy. But a final test awaited us. THE GREAT ESCAPE.

Levina and Grevion like this.
  6. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    The Great escape was an exercise introduced to check our ability fool enemy defences and make it back to our lines safely. We are divided in groups of five and dropped 70 kms from the base. We are allowed to use whichever way we can to make it back to base without being caught by the teams which are deployed to catch us. We can use public transport, take a hike or just decide to be totally on our legs. I chose my Mafia dons as my team and they too told me that If I chose anyone else they will kill me even if meant a sin of killing a Brahmin. Har dost Kamina hota hai. AND the dearest are deadlier. Once again we were dropped at 10pm at night, given very basic food stuff, a compass and a map and told to reach back the camp site. Mojja, Billa, Jagga and Sukka as my dons, we started the journey with me as the ultimate Mafiaso. I told me group, no roads, no public transport, max travel at night, hide during daytime and move by avoiding local population. Remain hidden was important then to make progress during daytime. Darkness is an ally, sunlight is enemy.
    Majority of my course-mates who had even changed their dress to look like locals got caught bcoz of their hair cut. My group avoided it all and finally we reached a point at 5PM next day just 1.5kms from the camp. We all were outstandingly good at running that distance. But the problem was daylight. We had a tree line further up about 400meters. So we decided that we must crawl to the tree line by 7PM and make a wild dash to the camp which wud be just about a km and we knew that no one cud catch us in that distance.
    One by one, we slipped out crawling to the tree line and also stayed in touch with each other in very soft voices. As we reached the tree line, we all told each other very gently that we are in position for final dash. Suddenly I heard a voice very similar to that of Mojja in Haryanavi language, asking us to make a dash for the camp. My other mafia dons got up and started running to the camp. The Jaat Regiment had us all by our throat. I was still hidden. They started a search and in no time I too was caught. Even a fish will not get into problem if it kept its mouth shut. Mojja was asking me to go forward when the Jaat guys situated on the trees picked him up. They zeroed on him by imitating his voice and accent. Remember what I told you about Camp Green Horn, You have to keep the sky above you also in check.
    We finally passed out from Quarter Deck of NDA. Why Quarter Deck? Any NDA course or cadet who has not passed out of NDA below the Quarter Deck has died very early in battle. Lt. Arun Khetrapal's course was one such course. We go and pay our homage to all those officers from NDA who had laid down their life for defence of the nation and we all get chocked when we return from that hut. I had a surprise visitor-Capt Bhatwadekar. He shook my hand, wished me best of luck as a future naval officer and told me that I wud have been an outstanding army officer had I chosen army as my service. That day I told him that I am half Maratha as my mother belonged to those Maratha Brahmin warriors who did not go back to Maharastra after losing Third battle of Panipat. He bowed to me again as a Maratha Brahmin.

7. HariPrasad

HariPrasad Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Yes brilliant but not as brilliant as his LSA design.

8. HariPrasad

HariPrasad Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    In automobile terminology , you were a high low end torque vehicle.

9. WhyCry

WhyCry Reaper Love Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    Eagerly waiting for the next dose in my curiosity.

10. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    Finally, we arrived where we were supposed to become Naval Officers. The training squadron in Cochin now Kocchi. And to my surprise I once again found that I have got a bad deal. I was a cadet on old INS Beas and not on recently commissioned INS Tir which had air conditioned bunks for cadets. Another tragedy was that our Divisional officer was a Mallu-Nambiar. Mallus have two very distinctive characters-One after sunrise and another after sunset. After sunrise, they are the finest gentlemen you can come across and after sunset, they are just too drunk to even recognise you and completely mad. Our Mallu DivO was very good at Hindi and he knew most dialects of Hindi and it took him no time to recognise that I belonged to Haryanavi belt. That was the ultimate sin. A haryanavi under a Mallu, something unheard off. Whenever we trained under him, he wud just get after me and ask me to do the most strongest part of the drill. For first four weeks we learnt about the ship and after that we sailed out for two days to give us sea experience. To my shock I realised that even the CO of my ship was a Mallu. Now imagine a Haryanavi trapped between two very powerful mallus. We sailed out and we were asked to go for sea boats. That is lower our old classic draggy wood made boats, and row them at sea. The toughest and strongest were chosen by Nambiar. The boat was lowered, we took ropes to get into the boat and I slipped it at the crest of the wave perfectly. Than I became strokesman and rest took other stations as pullers. We did a very good job of picking a danbouy and after that I again hooked up the boat and we were lifted up by the ship. The CO of the ship watched it all himself and stated that he was impressed by my skill with boat handling. That became a curse for me. After about one month, we set sail for a cruise of eastern sea board with INS Tir as the Flagship of the training sqn. Now we had these sea boat exercise everyday and our CO wanted nothing but victory. We won against the fibreglass boats of INS Tir everytime but one day we were lowered in sea state-4 and we had very serious problems even pulling our boat as the waves were so high that our oars wud come out of water. We nearly drowned as the boat took lot of water. I as strokesman, told the crew to throw out water and save the boat and as a result we lost that day.
    Victory is not celebrated in armed forces but loosing is punished. So after we came on board the ship, we were immediately put to lot of ragda for next 3hrs non stop. No food but just plain simple ragda. two shells of 4.5inch gun each weighing 65pounds on each of our shoulders, we were made to walk on our knees till we completely gave up. I came in for special treatment as I was yet again the strokesman of the boat and a haryanavi under a mallu. Finally my hand gave way and the shell slipped from hand. I tried to catch it but my right hand fingers got crushed between the shell and the deck. The fingers just exploded like a balloon. I again picked up the shell and put it back on my shoulder. With blood dripping from my fingers, my blue shirt became red in no time. Our Mallu DivO saw that and got horrified. he sent me to MI room for treatment. The Medical officer too was a mallu. He asked me what had caused the injury. I explained to him the whole thing. He lost cool and went straight to CO and informed him that I needed to be shifted to a shore based hospital asap to prevent me from loosing my fingers to infection and put on notice my DivO. CO too got scared as he cud have lost his job and got court martialled for the kind of serious injury I had suffered.
    Three mallus, each against eachother and a Haryanavi as the source of all the trouble. CO called me and asked for full details. I gave him all the details. He just asked me one thing-why did I order the crew to pump out water when we cud have won it. I just asked a counter question to my CO. Sir what will you do in a similar situation as CO of this ship? There was no further question asked. Co asked the doctor, do we need to shift him urgently and call for helo lift at sea or can something be done to save my fingers? Doctor said-we need to see how the medicines on board work for next two days. Luckily medicines worked and I continued on board. Nambiar was relieved and so was my CO. I was back to full working within three weeks without even stiches given to my burst fingers. They just healed with normal tight bandages.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Levina, AbRaj, arbit and 1 other person like this.
  11. Grevion

Grevion Think Tank TROLL ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Ah! Finally an update....:)

12. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    We sailed to Chennai, Vizag and Paradeep & Port Blair in eastern seaboard. Finally we came back to Vizag and got stuck as a cyclone was about to strike Vizag. We sailed out just as the cyclone was making landfall in sea state-11. The foxle of the ship wud go underwater and rise and the waves were going above the bridge of the ship. I have never seen something like that nor even heard off. It was quire an amazing sight to see ship just not sinking and rising out of water everytime. Our CO was at con himself and I first hand saw the fearless attitude of this mallu. it was like a routine for him but coming from Haryana, it was quite a shock for me.
    And as we left harbour to reach deep waters, our main steering packed up. 90% of the cadets and officers had started puking due to extreme sea sickness. I and S Dam were fit as rock. I was rushed to the emergency steering position to steer the ship. That place was full of rotten rugs and ropes with rats all around and a very small wheel with a sound pipe to communicate with bridge and a rudimentary compass to maintain course.
    Sea sickness makes most people puke out but very few react opposite of it. They get extremely hungry. I ate three times the food I normally ate and steered the ship from that very confined place for 3 hrs till the main steering was restored. That once again brought me in the good eyes of my CO. he was again impressed. he called top five of us for dinner with him once we reached Chennai on our way back to Kocchi.
    Rest of the story 2mrw.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Levina, Gessler, GuardianRED and 2 others like this.
  13. Levina

Levina Admin- Social media Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    :lol:

Just started reading the thread... I like it already.

@Darth Marr @Roybot tagging you guys just in case you have missed this thread.

Oh my god!
    Is it just me?
    I cant stop laughing... this reminds me of the movie PRAHAR, which i think is the only Indian movie which ever came close to showing the real army cadet training.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Grevion and Aqwoyk like this.
  14. Levina

Levina Admin- Social media Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    well said. :tup::tup::tup:

15. GuardianRED

GuardianRED Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    What about Lakshya !!?