Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Story Of A Naval Aviator - My Experience With Indian Navy

Discussion in 'The Officers Mess' started by vstol jockey, Oct 27, 2016.

1. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    When I reached Bombay to report on INS Sindhudurg, I had taken my brand new red coloured Royal Enfield Bullet DBH-303 with me. My father got me this so called VIP number without paying any extra money. We became Midshipman on 01Jan1987 with a consolidated pay of INR1700. It was so much of money that we did not know what to do with it. We had become officers but our mentality was still that of cadets. In the wardroom, we always behaved like cadets. Our EXO was a very funny man. He met us next day and told us that while we can have all the privileges of an officer while still being quasi officers, we have to find a girl friend in Bombay and bring her on board the ship within 30 days if we wanted to enjoy the full privilege of Officers. Bombay for me was too fast a city as I came from Haryanavi background. I had no clue how to do it and whom to ask for guidance. One of the officers on board the ship, now a serving Admiral came to my rescue and gave me the ultimate mantra-At least this is what I thought when it was revealed to me. He told me, wear white shoes and stand outside Jehangir Art Gallery or next to Peddar Road Bus stop and your luck will shine. With this mahamantra, I did what my Guru had told me. I stood outside Jehangir Art gallery with white shoes on. After sometime a Fiat-118NE came and stopped in front of me with two middle aged ladies in it gesturing me to get in the car. I was quite appalled, I did not know them and I did not find them desirable and why were they asking me to get in to their car. But they insisted on calling me, so I went across and asked them what they wanted. They told me they wanted me and ready to pay as per my wish. I was again taken aback. Why are these ladies willing to pay me and for what? So I told them that they seem to have mistaken me for someone else. They just looked at me, told me to get lost and drove away. I was quite startled with this behaviour and came back to my ship.
    Next day, during breakfast I narrated the whole incident to this new found Guru and every officer of the ship went mad laughing at me. Jehangir Art Gallery & Peddar road Bus stand are pick up joints for Gigolos in Bombay and the dress code is white Shoes. I was made a fool for coming from Haryanavi background. Aisa bhi hota hai. Guru bhi ghantaal hotey hain.

Grevion likes this.
  2. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    But the race to find a girl friend did not stop with this debacle. I was determined and reached no where with all my efforts. One day, I was driving back from the residence of my EXO after dinner and a lady gestured for lift in colaba area. Like a true officer and gentleman, I stopped and asked her where she wanted to go. She was living in a working womens hostel next to peddar road and was a Goan. So when I drove her to her place she got talking to me and I told her about myself. I had full face helmet on. She could hear what I spoke to her but I had problem hearing what she spoke. When I dropped her at her hostel, she took my ships number and promised to call back. I did not pay much attention to that. Surprisingly I got a call from her and she asked if she could come over with two of her friends. I said yes and also told my other two coursemates, bro life is made, we are three and we will have three girls on board and we three will get to prove to our EXO that-We have done it. They all agreed. So we went and received these girls at "Lions Gate" and brought them on the ship. The bar was thrown open and officers galley did and prepared only what the girls wanted. We became hero in no time. but worst was yet to come.

Grevion likes this.
  3. Levina

Levina Admin- Social media Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    Suspense?

4. Flyboy!

Flyboy! Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
  5. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    D J Desmond is 65th Course NDA and a Mallu. He is a very dear senior and a true friend to me. He was a very good pilot and also considered bad luck to some pilots. Invariably his no-2 always used to get in to some emergency situation. We have had many such stories of such bets with our non aviation officers and we used to win most of them. A bottle of scotch-Royal Salute was the bet I used to put and win. I never lost a bet in flying.