Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Su-30MKI Multirole Fighter Aircraft and Super 30 Upgrade News, Discussions..

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Dark_Prince, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    Really? Expected better from you.

I can show you all tender documents and PR of first flight. Not a rumour. Heavier Garuthamma/Garuda are also under flight testing.

While introduction date of this glide bomb according MBDA is 2025!. Everything European is always shiny for you. Typical NRI mindset.:dude:

GSLV Mk III likes this.
  2. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

That's the point, there is nothing more and we all know how long Sudarshan, Astra or Helina were under testing and where are they now?

And of course everything European / western is shiny, because they can develop things, that we can't!
    That however doesn't mean I put the same standards to indigenous development. I only want them to fulfil the minimum capability to be useful for our military and not compete on the world level. I am rational with the level of DRDO, while they only dream about levels they can't reach. If only half of the promised arms and techs would be available today, we could save so much money on imports!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  3. Agent_47

Country Flag:
    India
    Sudarshan - closed project 4 years ago
    Astra - in production
    Helina - User trials.

There is no point. It is the typical development cycle. It will be longer when you are doing it first time.

New projects like QRSAM,SAAW and NGARM are way faster in development.

GSLV Mk III likes this.
  4. Sancho

Yes Brimstone is a CAS weapon with limited range. It's an ATGM similar to Helina.

That's what I said as well and which is why it might not offer the same advantages.

5. Sancho

Exactly, after years of development, testing and a whole lot of money wasted, there is still no LGB! That's even far easier to develop than a PGM like the smartglider and still has failed, which proves my point!
    Astra as well, not offering the required range => which is exactly the reason why Derby must be imported.
    Helina still not ready either and when you add the huge amount of failures of DRDO in the LCA program, there is simply no reason to give them the benefit of the doubt. Let them develop and bring it to operational standard, with the required capabilities, then we can talk about it.

6. GSLV Mk III

GSLV Mk III Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    wasn't it for the LCA , for easy integration with the MMR?

7. Sancho

8. Agent_47

Country Flag:
    India
    They have a mature MIC and free flow of latest technologies.

What happens when military asks for world class stuff from start itself? Which is exactly what happened to nag. Chinese military inducted everything because they had least options. But we have too many.

It's hilarious to see you supporting derby import while astra works perfectly fine.

Aren't you getting tired listing same arguments in every thread? Because after reading I'm.

To the point, your argument was to integrate a concept stage European weapon on Su 30 MLU while we have Indian alternative already tested.

Which proves you are not rational but just another biased outsider.

Art90 and GSLV Mk III like this.
  9. GSLV Mk III

Country Flag:
    India
  10. GSLV Mk III

Country Flag:
    India
    So you agree that derby was imported for the LCA.

11. Sancho

R66, R73 or R77 missiles were not world class but IAF was ok with the integration of them to LCA wasn't it? Also IAF never expected Astra to have the range of AIM 120D with 100+ Km range, nor to be a Meteor. It just was meant to be useful enough to replace older R27 and R77 missiles on Migs, MKI and LCA. So please mate, let's not start the myths of IAFs requirements, as an excuse for DRDO an Co's failures.

I am neither supporting Derby, nor is Astra working fine (check the article I posted).

Oh you have no idea how fed up I am to hear the same excuses for the failures of our scientist on and on again. How many developments more need to fail, how much more money need to be wasted till we open our eyes for the real reason why India is importing so much?

And as I already stated, we don't know if SAAW is comparable to the smartglider class of weapons, because it's specifically developed as an anti airfield weapon, which makes it similar to...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matra_Durandal

Besides that the smartglider comes with 2 advantages (HSL and 1500KG version), that comes handy for the MKI as mentioned as well.

So my reasons are more than rational and not just based on national pride!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    Anish likes this.
  12. Sancho

Of course, that's why I said that DRDO's development failures and delays cause more imports.

13. randomradio

randomradio Colonel Technical Analyst

That isn't the point. All weapons are limited by the platform carrying it.

14. Sancho

It is when your earlier point was to attack targets in China, because Brimstone is not useful for long range attacks.

15. randomradio

randomradio Colonel Technical Analyst

That isn't the point. Brimstone is a high speed precision weapon. The point of this weapon is we can carry a lot on a single aircraft, which we can then deliver 1000Km inside China on the MKI. Even if it has low range, it can do huge damage with enough numbers. For example, 2 MKIs can bring down half a regiment or a full regiment of tanks that's being transported on a train.