Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Su-30MKI Multirole Fighter Aircraft and Super 30 Upgrade News, Discussions..

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Dark_Prince, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Sathya

Sathya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

2 additional squads were discussed sometime back when strengthening of airframe for bhramos integration was discussed.

however there was no clarity .. whether it ll be made at HAL or Russia.
    or even when it was ordered..

Hellfire likes this.
  2. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    Long back I had told you guys a figure of 15 sqns of SU-30MKI with 18 fighters each and three reserves per sqn. The total comes to 315. so 272+36=308. There will be some more orders to make up for lost aircraft also. I expect another tranche of 36 after this.

Lion of Rajputana and Hellfire like this.
  3. randomradio

randomradio Colonel REGISTERED

Yeah, can't say for sure. HAL wanted IAF to order two more squadrons from their facility.

It might have been signed during the India Russia summit in June this year. In fact, I don't know if it's signed yet because there isn't any real reason to keep it a secret.

And I don't know why they ordered only 36 when they could have ordered their regular number of 40 and some more as attrition replacement, perhaps limited funding.

But what it means is we will get 36 MKI, 36 Rafale and 123 LCA in a very short time. An additional 36 Rafales would mean our squadron strength will be pretty good, especially because of the quality of the aircraft. We will have 500+ modern aircraft by 2025 at this rate, with at least 270 of them equipped with AESA radars and modern EW suites.

4. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    I expect the final numbers to be more like 15 sqns SU-30MKI+10Sqn Rafale+6sqn LCA+3sqn M2K+3sqn Mig-29s+5sqn Jags to rise to 42 sqns by 2027. The Rafale sqns will have just 16 aircraft each as UE and 2 as reserves.

5. Sathya

Country Flag:
    India
    we were also discussing @MilSpec given figures came out true..

Hellfire likes this.
  6. X_Killer

X_Killer Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    These may be ordered for strategic mission and will be operated by SFC (as planned). I think the count will be 40.
    We already discussed about them some days ago and now reminded by @Sathya

Sathya likes this.
  7. randomradio

I get the feeling this new order of 36 will have options of 18.

So in 2015, they ordered 36 Rafales as an emergency purchase. They probably did the same this year with MKI.

So in case there is a requirement for 2 more squadrons, they may simply exercise the options and get 1 squad of Rafale and MKI each.

Sathya likes this.
  8. randomradio

SFC has chosen Rafale as their carrier. Even Parrikar confirmed this indirectly. I don't see MKI getting the nuke mission ever.

Lion of Rajputana likes this.
  9. Sathya

Country Flag:
    India
    Will it be upgraded version with AESA?
    If its upgraded version, then its likely to come directly from Russia .

10. X_Killer

X_Killer Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    It is also said that if government permit , developers will arm BRAHMOS with nuclear warhead to convert it to tactical nuclear weapon.
    Arming of Brahmos ALCM with nuclear warhead will put all 40 modified MKIs under SFC operations.

Sathya likes this.
  11. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    I expect it to be some kind of a face saver for Russians regarding other deals like FGFA etc. 18 might come Russia and another 36 from Nasik. HAL is doing a fantastic work. They are way behind the schedule in completing the order for 272 itself. This nation will continue to suffer due to this reservation policy.

Shekhar Singh likes this.
  12. randomradio

Hopefully the IAF buys 10 more second-hand M2Ks and brings the numbers back to 59.

13. randomradio

No, it's not a good idea. The Brahmos has a defined tactical function and also it will lead to a lot of international headache because it's part of a JV. Our objective is to join the NSG, not alienate them. IAF won't accept it anyway.

Not to mention, Brahmos's conventional punch is so good that it's a waste to put a nuclear warhead in it.

Our actual nuclear delivery weapons are much better than Brahmos at this. We have not made nukes for warfare, we have only made them for deterrence. In case nukes are used against us, we will go all strategic on their behinds, so we have no need for a Brahmos equipped nuke.

Hellfire likes this.
  14. randomradio

I doubt it's upgraded. It will be the standard MKI since the objective is to stop the drop-down while not pinching our pockets. So the objective will be "fast and cheap".

Hellfire and Sathya like this.
  15. vstol jockey

Country Flag:
    India
    those who say that Su-30MKI will not be used by SFC are grossly wrong. Su_30MKI will be the main air delivery platform of SFC even if we acquire the French missiles for nuke delivery.

MilSpec and X_Killer like this.