Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Sukhoi likely downed by cyber weapons

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by DrSomnath999, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Read your post. An indicator of definitive existence of technology can be 'inferred' from your post.

Now let me point you to the fact that something which is conceptually under development, is not necessarily something that has been weaponised.

Having said that, read my post #46 and collate.

And finally, let me emphatically point out how India intends to disable enemy communications set up - by EMP creation by a Nuclear Blast at height > 10000 meters. That is it.

And to 'harden' my equipment as a soldier in field (like radio sets etc) I will merely cover the electrical parts with a thin aluminium foil (the kitchen food foil will suffice) and simply avoid loosing it.

2. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    @Luttapi

Get the point and stop posting blogs as proof of existence of technology that is only conceptually being developed and is not fielded as a proven military technology.

Theoretically, I can use water to obtain Hydrogen and then recombine it into water and again re-use it as a source of power.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  3. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
  4. PeegooFeng41

PeegooFeng41 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I was writing a different post but after reading your post I thought arguing about different possibilities of cyber attack will be counter productive in this thread because we, rather I, know too less about Su-30 FBW.

I can totally agree with an electric spike or electric failure, accidental or otherwise, but I guess such things are not exactly cyber attacks but Electronic counter measures and counter counter measures. I wanted this distinction to be present from the beginning because Cyber attack mostly means software exploitation.

5. PeegooFeng41

PeegooFeng41 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Kali will not be cyber weapon. It will be plain old ECM/ECCM or directed energy / particle weapon.

Luttapi likes this.
  6. X_Killer

X_Killer Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    KALI is not a weapon but it can be used as a weapon.
    It is a laboratory equipment which is used to test satellites, space crafts and others against Solar storms, EMP and high voltage surge

7. Golden_Rule

Golden_Rule Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

More than a Cyber attack, this looks like an EMP attack which when used can cripple the aircraft's electronics and bring it down. This is what China most likely did. I had read about China beaming highly concentrated energy beams of EMP on to US' spy satellites when they flew over China's strategic assets in order to blind them.

If China has done this, India has to retaliate to get the revenge without leaving its footprint, same as what China has done now. Let's wait and watch to hear the news that Chinese submarine goes missing in the Indian Ocean.

8. shaktimaan

shaktimaan Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    lol dude when I said that....even equipments other than military one also have prototype stage

9. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    You are simply trolling now as I am yet to see you post ANYTHING to prove your contention on KALI.

Keep it limited to your claims of KALI and the post I quoted initially:

Do not try this circumlocution with me.

LASER is being used in target acquisition/range finding for years now. They do blind too if aimed into your opponents eye.

The limited range being achieved by DEWs are the reason why ABM Defence is primarily based on KEWs. If your KALI was already capable, you would have found ABM defences in place.

All programs, in India or outside, are within limited scope and still evolving. If you see even the US programs like ADAM (Area Defence Anti Munitions) of Lockheed Martin concurrently with ATHENA and ALADIN, they are still in evolutionary phases and have been successful in certain parameters. However, US is far from a DEW based ABM which is in any case, designed to be a Terminal Stage Interceptor.

Hence, the evolution of this tech as an area defence. There will be severe limitation in it's employability based on the costs and the technological/infrastructure requirement in fielding a severely restricted system.

Watch Lockheed Martin’s ADAM laser destroy a missile mid-flight
    BY MATTHEW HUMPHRIES
    05.09.2013 :: 10:27AM EDT

[​IMG]

As well as providing the equipment necessary to fire missiles, defense contractors also want to offer customers the ability to defend against them. Lockheed Martin is doing just that with its Area Defense Anti-Munitions (ADAM) system, and has released a new video demonstrating it disabling a missile mid-flight.

ADAM is a high energy laser system mounted on a trailer allowing it to be transported around quickly to help defend high-value targets. It is still in prototype form, but basically uses a 10-kilowatt fiber laser which can be focused on to a moving target up to 2 kilometers away. That directed energy can disable or destroy the threat before it gets anywhere near its intended destination, and it does so without costing a lot of money to use repeatedly.

You can watch ADAM taking out a missile in the video below. In all, ADAM managed to destroy 8 such missiles during a recent test that occurred in April.

Last year Lockheed Martin carried out a similar test, but in that case the missile that got destroyed was tethered and moved along a predetermined path. Clearly progress has been made and ADAM can now track a freely moving target.

Although the laser’s range is limited to 2km, ADAM can actually track objects up to 5km away, and by plugging in an external radar can take a cue to engage with an unmanned aerial system (UAS). For a missile response, ADAM is a completely self-contained unit capable of detecting the threat, aiming, and firing the laser to disable and destroy it.

https://www.geek.com/news/watch-lockheed-martins-adam-laser-destroy-a-missile-mid-flight-1554625/

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    surya kiran likes this.
  10. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India
    @Fox

That was a great post and yet you deleted it again!!!!

Half in a mind to re-post it. :(

11. X_Killer

X_Killer Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Laboratory version is already is in use.
    The microwave-producing version of KALI has also been used by the DRDO scientists for testing the vulnerability of the electronic systems of the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), which was then under development.

Luttapi likes this.
  12. surya kiran

surya kiran 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Do you know how an EMP is generated or do you think its like GoldenEye 007 movie? And do you really think, an EMP will not leave behind any evidence?

13. Flyboy!

Flyboy! Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    upload_2017-5-28_17-50-11.png
    60 km diameter from the north of Tezpur .. Too far from china for any sort of EMP/laser weapon to be effective without going unnoticed.

14. SR-91

SR-91 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

That was electronic countermeasures (ECM) system KHIBINY.

It made some headlines when the news first came out. I'm hoping its part of Super-Sukhoi upgrade program.

15. A_poster

A_poster Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

He is right in this regard. Kali is a DEW and BMD and AAD are the functions for which KALI is being developed. Its stage of development is not yet known as GoI has gone into radio silence over this weapon. If you remember, Parikker ,in response to an oral question, refused to provide detail about KALI in RS citing national security interests. From this, you could safely deduce that this project is as important to India as SSBN project.

His comment on range is not clear. KALI ,at most, would have maximum effective range of 100 Km, though being a DEW, it would be capable of taking out even 12,000 Km range ICBMs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.