Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Tamil Nadu adopts resolution to stop treating SL as a friendly country

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by Tantrika, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tantrika

Tantrika 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Chennai: The Tamil Nadu Assembly has adopted a resolution asking the Centre to stop treating Sri Lanka as a friendly country. It also calls for a referendum on a separate Eelam among Tamils in Sri Lanka and Lankan Tamils abroad.

The Tamil Nadu Assembly unanimously adopted the resolution urging the Centre to slap economic embargo on Colombo till the "suppression" of Tamils was stopped and those responsible for "genocide and war crimes" faced an international probe. Moving the resolution, AIADMK chief Jayalalithaa said the ongoing students protest was reflective of her government's initiate on the Sri Lankan issue even as she requested them to withdraw the stir and resume classes.

Jayalalithaa also criticised DMK chief Karunanidhi for double standards on the Lankan Tamils issue. She highlighted that an Indian Premier League (IPL) team owned by Karunanidhi's grand-nephew has two Sri Lankan players. Kalanithi Maran's Sun Group had bought the Hyderabad team - Sunrisers - in 2012 and retained Kumar Sangakkara as skipper and paid a whopping $6,75,000 for all-rounder Thisara Perera.

Launching a tirade against the Centre and DMK, she alleged that both had "failed" to ensure ceasefire in 2009 when hostilities were at the peak in Sri Lanka. She charged Karunanidhi with adopting "duplicity" on the issue and said people were aware of it.

Her remarks drew vociferous protests from DMK members. Speaker P Dhanapal ordered for eviction of agitated DMK members when his plea for restoration of order in the House went unheeded.

Jayalalithaa had earlier asked the Central government to move amendments to the US-backed resolution on Sri Lanka over war crimes against ethnic Tamils. "Don't just support the US-backed resolution on Lankan Tamils issue at UNHRC, but strengthen it through suitable amendments," Jayalalithaa had written in a letter to PM Manmohan. India finally voted against Sri Lanka at the United Nation Human Rights Council (UNHRC) in Geneva.

Tamil Nadu adopts resolution to stop treating SL as a friendly country

1 person likes this.
  2. omya

omya Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    good :coffee:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  3. Himanshu Pandey

Himanshu Pandey Don't get mad, get even. STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Good resolution in intention but IMO it is just against constitution as states are not empowered for this subject... Tamilnadu govt. could have sent a letter to GOI for letting know its sentiment but going against constitution is unacceptable...

I too don't want shri lanka as friends as they are not... but do not support this resolution

4. Tantrika

:police:
    This resolution is not against our constitution , TN intention is to pressurize GOI to bring such resolution in the parliament.

Thanks for your support.

5. rcscwc

rcscwc Major SENIOR MEMBER

The resolution has been rejected by the GOI.

6. Himanshu Pandey

Country Flag:
    India
    it is bro as dealing with foreign countries is a subject to center and state can not pass any resolution or act apart from state list as per my knowledge but can you tell me how it is not against our constitution... I will welcome further knowledge on this issue

7. GUNS-N- ROSES

GUNS-N- ROSES Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    its pity that political parties go to such extents for the their vote banks. political parties in TN want Rajiv's killers to be be shown mercy. the akalis and NC also wants the same.

my point is wat happens wen a state govt in pakistan or sri lanka passes a resolution demanding kashmir or for that matter arunachal pradesh be freed from india. its pure votebank politics thats all. why dint TN assembly pass a resolution regarding killing of innocent people by ULFA in assam. because it doesnt concern them.

on another side i want GoI to take up matter strongly with sri lanka to protect interests of tamils and give them more political power.

8. rcscwc

rcscwc Major SENIOR MEMBER

After India vote against SL, similar vote against India is a matter of time. Then how will GOI oppose such a resolution? Rest assured, SL will vote against India NOW. No rocket science needed to know how Pak and Cheen will vote. Come on, even Taiwan will support such a resolution if it can.

9. Tantrika

No ,state having rights to pass such resolution its upto GOI whether approve it or not. FM already denied that resolution but still state govt. keep on pressurise GOI to implement same kind of resolution in Parliament. A member from central judiciary/advisory committee said that its constitutional I also seen that video but I couldn't find it in ANI.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  10. Tantrika

Why kids commenting here I don't know? according to law you can't give two punishments for single crime .Those who assisted tat assassination are in jail more than 20yrs in that scenario you can't issue death sentence for them , you can make it as life sentence. Its GOI mistake to keep them in jail for more than 20yrs.

Have you know meaning of genocide? on comparing Kashmir and AP with SL issue its clearly showing your ignorance. Read details and then talk.

11. Tantrika

Are you people mad? India committing genocide in Kashmir? did we used cluster bombs against our citizen's in NE/Kashmir? did IA bombed hospital or Kashmir libraries? are we kept Kashmiri/NE people in fence for more than 4 years? did GOI issued citizenship for them after 50 yrs of independence? Indians treating them as secondary citizens? IA banned to practice their own religion? did IA demanded to remove doors(you know WAT i mean) from their home? . If such things happening/happened in India there is nothing to bring referendum in Kashmir/NE.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  12. Himanshu Pandey

Country Flag:
    India
    search it and share it buddy... as this is a debatable issue... I like to see the point of an expert... by the way do you remember under which article /part of constitution he called it constitutional... and what was his ground for this.

apart from this... let other people express their views... this ia free nation with democracy... you can disagree but can't stop somebody from expressing himself by insulting him.. so try to be contributory and do argument rather then abusive

13. Himanshu Pandey

Country Flag:
    India
    you missed the point buddy which he is giving... this is not about genoside or any thing wrong done by India and its armed forces... its about retribution... A referendum is due in kashmir but as it is needed pakistan and china to hand over the part of kashmir for this.. it has been waited till now and India has said the election help in kashmir are same as referendum as people have participated in them even when sepearist called for opposite.

he was saying that shri lanka which is not a friend of us will go against us in UN and will vote in favor of pakistan on kashmir issue and with china on AP issue if they came up for voting because we voted against it.. not because it is right or wrong.

it had made the job of our foreign ministry little tough and now we have no other option then being big guy around here and letting other know that you fall in our line or on our line of fire.... but we need a agressive policy for this.

1 person likes this.
  14. Tantrika

I will try my best. He didn't mention any sections he told there is space to pass such resolution according to regional interests and state can give suggestion to GOI in addition such resolution doesn't violates anything and its constitutional.

I agree...... sometimes people arguing without basic knowledge that really irritating , no problem.

1 person likes this.
  15. Himanshu Pandey

Country Flag:
    India
    i think this has happened first time in India... so it will need some time for experts to come up with clear view on this as state has this right or not... but it is dangerous as it can be used by propaganda machine for ruining the image of our nation... but its too early to say anything... we have to wait till more comes out from academic and judicial sector on this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.