Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Tejas MK-3 with Stealth Characteristics

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Manmohan Yadav, May 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Given its small size anyway, it's "virtually invisible" to adversary fighter; were how a Tejas Test pilot described Tejas RCS signature. Use of carbon fibre gives Tejas natural stealth characteristics and advantage of low operating costs, use of carbon fibre composites (CFC) gives Tejas 45 percent content by weight and 90 per cent of its surface is made of carbon fibres, Carbon fibre doesn’t make aircraft stealthily but reflection of radar beams by CFC is much less when compared to metallic components in the aircrafts but CFC with Radar-absorbent material coating and given the smaller size of aircraft gives Tejas low radar signature or stealth characteristics .

[​IMG]

Expert believe that RCS of Tejas is three times smaller than a Mirage-2000, but it might be speculation since official RCS figure of Tejas has never been made available in public domain, CFC have other advantages they don’t deteriorate with age nor corrode due weather elements, CFC also gives Tejas better operational empty weight giving Tejas better thrust to weight ratio when compared with other aircrafts with similar engines. CFC does have their own disadvantages, there are expensive to make but India has already invested heavily in development of CFC making it among the best in CFC technology in the world.

Sensing an opportunity and possibility of further reduction in radar signature of Tejas, DRDO has put towed with idea of development of Tejas MK-3 with better improvements and lowering its radar signatures, DRDO plans to use up to 70 percent of CFC in Tejas MK-3 up from 45 percent currently used in Tejas MK-1. DRDO also plans to focus on reducing infrared signature of the aircraft by reducing exhaust temperatures from the engine, to make Tejas MK-3 near Stealth aircraft DRDO also plans to improve fuselage and improve engine ducts to achieve low radar signature.

Research work carried out on AMCA will help in development of Tejas MK-3 and MK-3 will also benefit in avionics development which according to DRDO will borrow heavily from AMCA. Two current projects on Stealth front headed by DRDO are development of Stealth aircraft AMCA and development of unmanned combat aircraft Aura, MK3 likely will be testbed for such development and technology developed will benefit all three projects in long term in future.

4 people like this.
  2. Virajith

Virajith Captain SENIOR MEMBER

IMO it's over burden for DRDO,ADA,HAL because dealing with multi projects like AMCA,Tejas mk-1,2,3 e.t.c
    They must go one by one in order or every project will be delayed :fie::frust:

4 people like this.
  3. thesolar65

thesolar65 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

I know Kaveri engine has failed because lack of required power to power LCA. But can we fit two kaveri engines in one plane(may be bigger in size). If yes can some body tell me just for knowledge which aircraft of to-days name that can have two kaveri engines? It may have failed to give the required power, but if it a stable and robust engine we can put it into bigger aircraft with twin engines. Just out of curiosity (I am no aircraft expert)

4. Zeus_@21

Zeus_@21 Major SENIOR MEMBER

DRDO is tooooooooo slow!..... First make the Mk1 operational then we can talk about Mk2, Mk3..... Mkn.:fie:

5. Manmohan Yadav

Country Flag:
    India
    In Indian Inventory, this moment none

6. Manmohan Yadav

Country Flag:
    India
    And whEn was the last time DRDO ever listened to a good advise

NEVER !!!!!!!!

7. Virajith

:agree:
    AFAIK DRDO AURA will be powered by 1 kaveri engine they said as it has enough T/W ratio:unsure:

8. MAFIAN GOD

MAFIAN GOD Captain SENIOR MEMBER

yup.....1 Kaveri will be enough because Aura will have ONLY 2 hardpoints.

9. Virajith

Frankly they are creating new projects on board and govt approves them with out thinking .
    Later they will waste time and money of project and delay them.Armed forces ask MoD to make them quick DRDO/HAL say they can't make it in time.So because of neccissity and more options available armed forces will import arms form other nations :facepalm:
    This goes on like a circle

though this is'nt true for every arms but Fighter aircrafts are surely passing this circle

10. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Apart from the ballistic missiles, what was the last thing that was inducted into the armed forces in heavy numbers which was made by DRDO ??

Unless it was for MTCR, we would have bought those ballistic ones too.....

11. Virajith

definitely 100% :frust:

12. VinodKumar

VinodKumar 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Specification (GTX-35VS Kaveri)

General characteristics

Type: afterburning turbofan
    Length: 137.4 in (3490 mm)
    Diameter: 35.8 in (910 mm)
    Dry weight: 2,724 lb (1,235 kg) [Goal: 2,100-2450 lb (950-1100 kg)]
    Components

Compressor: two-spool, with low-pressure (LP) and high-pressure (HP) axial compressors:
    LP compressor with 3 fan stages and transonic blading
    HP compressor with 6 stages, including variable inlet guide vanes and first two stators
    Combustors: annular, with dump diffuser and air-blast fuel atomisers
    Turbine: 1 LP stage and 1 HP stage
    Performance

Maximum thrust:
    Military thrust (throttled): 11,687 lbf (52.0 kN)
    Full afterburner: 18,210 lbf (81.0 kN)
    Specific fuel consumption:
    Military thrust (throttled): 0.78 lb/(lbf•h) (79.52 kg/(kN·h))
    Full afterburner: 2.03 lb/(lbf•h) (207.00 kg/(kN·h))
    Thrust-to-weight ratio: 7.8:1 (76.0 N/kg)
    Engine cycle

Airflow: 172 lb/s (78.0 kg/s)
    Bypass ratio: 0.16:1 (it should be increased to 0.5:1)
    Overall pressure ratio: 21.5:1 [Goal: 27:1]
    LP compressor pressure ratio: 3.4:1 [Goal: 4:1]
    HP compressor pressure ratio: 6.4:1
    Turbine entry temperature: 2,218-2,601 °F (1,214-1,427 °C; 1,487-1,700 K) [Goal: 3,357 °F (1,847 °C; 2,120 K)]

13. Foxtrot

90% of us in this forum have visited the kaveri wiki page......... what's the point u r trying to make.??

14. Foxtrot

If DRDO eventually goes for stealth Tejas MKIII then [MENTION=6253]vstol jockey[/MENTION] got a new headache for his SA.... :mrgreen:

15. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    I have no headaches and will never have. HAL is far far from my design. They will need to take rebirth to be there where I am.

I am doing it as my private venture as R & D to be converted to full fledged prog at will. LCA will never be a match to my design ever irrespective of whatever HAL does and irrespective of who flies it. I will make this ac and also fly it in combat against SU-30MKI and LCA myself against the best of India. FYI, I have never been defeated in aircombat by any Indian. I never had a chance to fight any other nationality except for making a fool of USN P3C orion in Arabian Sea way back in 1990. That incident nearly created a very hostile reaction from USN.
    Darta nahin hoon. Marunga toh aisee marunga kee yaad rahey.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.