Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Thales develops active array radar for HAL

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by ni8mare, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

Hehe, good that you said it, I would be attacked for saying that it "might" have foreign parts. :whistle:

It's obvious that we will include Israeli A2G modes and parts, that were required in the pulse doppler MMR as well. There is no reason for IAF to downgrade their requirements in the MK1A.
    But Uttam is only in ground trials and integration into LCA, let alone fight testing and certifications will take time, especially if A2G modes should be available. But yes DRDO is already trying to lobby it, while hopefully MoD agrees to HALs, more realistic approach.

2. WhyCry

WhyCry Reaper Love Developers -IT and R&D

Country Flag:
    India
    I am not a frequent poster with all sources in my back pocket :help:. HAL got initiated with the ELTA-2032 for sea harriers upgrade and had implemented all the integration for BVR and other stuff was done (After that they booted out the harriers). They used the same experience for Tejas (integration will be less as the source codes are with them).

TIme hasn't stopped and elta came with 2052 and now other candidates.

3. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Yeah, some bozos would say that.

UTTAM was never indented for Mk1. 'Import lobby' (read realistic well wishers) is now making noise because of the unexpected advances made by LRDE..

4. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Lt. Colonel SENIOR MEMBER

so 20 years to develop an MMR which will be used in 20 jets...hmmphhh. I hope we use it at least in the LCH.

5. Sancho

Who said it was meant for MK1? DRDOs pulse dopper MMR was meant for MK1, but even that needed to be helped by foreign consultancy and off the shelf parts.
    Uttam is still under development only, the unexpected advances you claim are theoretical, until they at least fitted it into any fighter and made flight and performance tests. If they achieve the integration in time, it should be part of the tender of course, but it would be better for LCA and Uttam, to take an off the shelf AESA that is ready and available first, which gives Uttam time to mature.

6. Sancho

The real irony is, that we ordered EL2052 for Jags, while LCA MK1 gets the hybrid, which doesn't make any sense at all. The interceptor gets less detection range, but added A2G modes.

Guynextdoor and WhyCry like this.
  7. WhyCry

Country Flag:
    India
    Let me add more irony. Sea harriers get full custom upgrades include FCR, BVR integration, new EW suite etc and then decommissioned. :cheesy::devilwork:

8. WhyCry

Country Flag:
    India
  9. WhyCry

Country Flag:
    India
    Sorry, I messed up.
    • UTTAM is AESA and indigenous.
    • DRDO ELTA MMR which is for tejas MK1 is ELTA 2032 modified.

10. Sancho

You can add Mig 27 UPG too.

11. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Air staff requirement said it only need pulse dopper MMR not AESA. DRDO failed to develop one and they choose ELTA MMR hybrid.

No one said its fully developed or matured. Why are you getting all heated up? Until today thales RBE2 on LCA was also theoretical !. Tender is there for import, this PR only confirms its on right track.

12. Sancho

Which is exactly what said as well.

Just because I point out the current status, I'm heated up? Come on man.

13. Rajaraja Chola

Rajaraja Chola 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

And more delay............................

14. Sancho

=>

https://m.timesofindia.com/india/DR...tion-to-develop-Radar/articleshow/2278131.cms

=>

https://www.livefistdefence.com/2010/07/report-elta-or-eads-to-help-build-tejas.html

Also interesting wrt the topic...

http://ajaishukla.blogspot.de/2015/10/cutting-edge-israeli-radar-wins-air.html?m=1

Not sure, if Raju was talking about an upgraded Uttam, or an EL2052 with Indian components. But we know that Israel is the main driver in our radar developments, so the fact that they are involved in our fighter radars is not surprising. The question is, will other contenders have a real chance in this tender, or will IAF find another plattform for the EL2052?

15. Sancho

Sathya likes this.