Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Thane call centre scam mastermind who gifted girlfriend Rs 2.5 cr Audi arrested in Mumbai

Discussion in 'The Americas' started by Averageamerican, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Averageamerican

Averageamerican Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Thane call centre scam mastermind who gifted girlfriend Rs 2.5 cr Audi arrested in Mumbai 7 / 40
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Hindustan Times

6 hours ago

[​IMG]© Hindustan Times

Sagar Thakkar alias ‘Shaggy’, the alleged mastermind of the Internal Revenue Service call centre scam in which thousands of Americans were defrauded to the tune of USD 300 million, has been arrested by Thane Police.

According to Thane Police officials, Sagar, who was on the run since the unearthing of the scam last year, was placed under arrest late Friday night after he arrived at the Mumbai airport following his deportation from Dubai.

A team of officers from Thane Police Commissionerate picked up Sagar from the airport, the officials said.

The scam, which operated since 2013 through at least half a dozen call centres in Thane, targeted at least 15,000 US-based tax payers, who were allegedly conned by Indian tele-callers.

The US Justice Department has charged 61 people and entities linked to the scam where call centre agents impersonated IRS, immigration and other federal officials and demanded payments for non-existent debts.

US Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson had earlier said that these call centres stole more than USD 300 million from their victims.

The scam came to light last year when police raided call centres at Mira Road in Thane district on the night of October 4-5. Subsequently, police teams raided and shut down five call centres in Ahmedabad which were a part of the racket.

Over 70 people, mostly directors and key persons linked to these call centres, were arrested and 700 employees were detained.

During the interrogation of arrested directors, police got the name of Sagar. However, by that time, he had left the country on October 5 before police could catch him.

According to police, they had issued a LOC (Look Out Circular) against Sagar on October 7, two days after his escape. The kingpin was suspected to have fled to Dubai.

Investigators say Sagar (24) led a lavish lifestyle and was accompanied by around a dozen bouncers. He was a regular at posh late night parties in Mumbai and was also fond of high-end cars.

He began working at the age of 16 with his ‘mentor’ Jagdish Kanani, who had worked in the call centres abroad.

Kanani (33), who was arrested from suburban Borivali last October had trained him, they said.

Police added the 23-year-old gifted a Rs 2.5 crore Audi R8 to his girlfriend on her birthday.

Thakkar bought the luxury car from an Indian test cricketer who sold it to him for Rs 70 lakh. The car was seized by the police.

Both my wife and myself received a call from this scam. Guy could barely speak English, we told him to go ahead and send the police, not that we were worried, were camping on top of a Virginia mountain. In some ways I admire the gall of the guy.

Dagger likes this.
  2. stephen cohen

stephen cohen Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    He was deported from Dubai ; now FBI will ask for his extradition

3. Averageamerican

Country Flag:
    United States
    I kind of hope they take it easy on the fellow.

4. Dagger

Dagger 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    People have to be real gullible to believe these ppl and give them bank details. 300m $! Some dumasses were darwined from their money.

5. Averageamerican

Country Flag:
    United States
    I expect they run the same scam in India. They make millions of calls, every so many calls they reach some one that is gullible, its just a matter of numbers. Another favorite scam in the USA is to call some one up and tell them their son has been arrested and they need so much for bail right now or something dire will happen to their child.

6. Dagger

Dagger 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Yep. Not a day goes by without getting a message of "your number has won millions, send an advance to collect ur money". But I have never seen someone fall for these. Especially 300m$ is a lot.
    Fortunately the perpetrators are also morons to get caught.

7. Averageamerican

Country Flag:
    United States
    They wouldn't be doing it if they were not making money. Also if I was from a country with an average IQ of 82, I would not be referring to other people as morons.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    Dagger likes this.