Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

The Indo-Russian Missile To Get Mach 7 Speed Submarine Version

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by Sumonmitra20, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sumonmitra20

Sumonmitra20 FULL MEMBER

The Indo-Russian Missile To Get Mach 7 Speed Submarine Version

India and Russia's highly successful joint venture, the BrahMos Aerospace is aiming to develop a hypersonic cruise missile or a submarine version of the BrahMos with a cruising speed of Mach 7 i.e. seven times the speed of sound.

The current 300km range supersonic cruise missile, dubbed as the world's best & fastest cruise missile has been in the Indian Navy and Army for long and has a speed of Mach 3. A submarine version of the BrahMos is currently under development & work on the air launch version for the Indian Air Force has been completed. India's front line air dominance fighter, Su-30MKI will soon be armed with these missiles.

The hypersonic version will boast a scramjet engine. The R&D team behind this project includes key people from The Centre of Excellence in High Speed Aerodynamics at the Indian Institute of Science and the Moscow Aviation Institute.

Dr. A. Sivathanu Pillai, chief executive officer and managing director at BrahMos Aerospace, while speaking at the 26th Council of Scientific and Industrial Research-National Aerospace Laboratories Foundation Day Lecture, said that, "These missiles are the only operational supersonic missiles in the world." And the new hypersonic ones will be three times faster than the Tomahawk missiles present with the US Armed Forces. According to him, new technologies and new nano materials would be required to get the "self-healing" properties necessary. We look forward to more updates on this.

The Indo-Russian joint venture was setup with an investment of $300 million with 50.5 % funding coming from India and 49.5 % from Russia. The venture has so far made a business of $4 billion and expects to make about $10 billion. Many countries have expressed interest in purchasing the missile but the joint venture will not be exporting the missile in the near future.:devilwork:

2. vikas jat

vikas jat Captain SENIOR MEMBER

at 7 mach it is too deadly for enemy

3. Anees

Anees Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Nice , But When going to Finish ????:hmm: I lost hope in DRDO.... :frust:

4. Sumonmitra20

Sumonmitra20 FULL MEMBER

Slow but steady wins the race my friend.:cheers:

5. satya

satya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Not in 100m race.

I think range is not going to be more than 300km due to MTCR.

Supersonic brahmos is a nice weapon but I find it too big for its range

6. hellboy

hellboy REGISTERED

If it's range is 300 km and it's speed is mach 7 ie 2382.8 metres/sec.so once it reaches Mach 7 it will require less than 2 minutes to hit it's target.It's almost equal to no response time.
    Even most advanced BMD shield's have a response time of greater than 2 minutes and that too after detection of missile which would further reduce the Window of interception for such a fast missile.

7. G777

G777 Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Is that against a Ballistic Missile? Type 45 SAMPSON radar will detect it in second.

8. Skull and Bones

Skull and Bones Doctor Death Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    Apparently not, Trajectory of Cruise missiles and ballistic missiles are different.

9. Death.By.Chocolate

Death.By.Chocolate 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Its big because the ramjet engine that powers the Brahmos needs a lots of fuel. A high-specific thrust, fuel efficient, non-after burning turbine engine capable of MACH 4 speed and range in excess of 600 NM was developed and successfully tested by LibertyWorks in the US. This engine is part of DARPA's highly classified RATTLRS program and the US Navy's JSSCM program. The F/A-18 E/F can carry and recover two JSSCM missiles, the JSSCM can also destroy a reinforced super concrete bunker 30 meters under ground in a vertical MACH 4 powered dive.

The point I am trying to make is, if India wants a smaller supersonic / hypersonic missiles it has to move away from ramjet / scramjet technology and develop an engine that is more fuel efficient.

10. flanker143

flanker143 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

hmm....detect it in a sec....nice.....then....????
    :tongue:

lemme guess...wait for it....lolzzz

11. satya

satya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

I wonder if a rocket engine instead of RAMJET could have been used.

Besides it is an old russian project which was revived by india.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  12. Vritra

Vritra Major ELITE MEMBER

Developing a non-afterburning supersonic engine, that's an expensive endeavour, and the current level of investment in R&D in public sector industries is not enough as it is. Even the current BrahMos blocks fly on propulsion systems that are largely modified Russian engines. In that, The US' has both budget and experience as an advantage.

I think the focus for the moment is to achieve some sort of indigenous capacity through joint ventures: mostly absorbing technologies at high rates in order to be able to catch up to international standards. But I doubt India has the budget and the experience to design and fabricate an engine like the one on the JSSCM.

You'd need larger volume of fuel for the same ranges while using rocket engines. So it wouldn't make the missile any lighter or any more efficient.

13. kum

kum 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

I think It's range is low. It should be atleast 700 K.M.

After Brahmos DRDO must have to consider the formation of indigenious Cruise Missile with at least a range of 500 K.M.

14. Devil

Devil Captain SENIOR MEMBER

i think in time it will increase the range

15. kum

kum 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

They have to do it soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.