The Kashmir Conflict

Discussion in 'Social & Current Affairs' started by desiman, Jun 23, 2010.

?

Which solution woud you like ?

1. Solution 1

47.1%
  2. Solution 2

3.5%
  3. Solution 3

42.4%
  4. Solution 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Solution 5

1.2%
  6. Solution 6

5.9%
  7. Solution 7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. desiman

desiman Lieutenant ELITE MEMBER

Scenario 1

[​IMG]

The status quo

Kashmir has been a flashpoint between India and Pakistan for more than 60 years. Currently a boundary - the Line of Control - divides the region in two, with one part administered by India and one by Pakistan. India would like to formalise this status quo and make it the accepted international boundary. But Pakistan and Kashmiri activists reject this plan because they both want greater control over the region.

Scenario 2

[​IMG]

Kashmir joins Pakistan

Pakistan has consistently favoured this as the best solution to the dispute. In view of the state's majority Muslim population, it believes that it would vote to become part of Pakistan. However a single plebiscite held in a region which comprises peoples that are culturally, religiously and ethnically diverse, would create disaffected minorities. The Hindus of Jammu, and the Buddhists of Ladakh have never shown any desire to join Pakistan and would protest at the outcome.

Scenario 3

[​IMG]

Kashmir joins India

Such a solution would be unlikely to bring stability to the region as the Muslim inhabitants of Pakistani-administered Jammu and Kashmir, including the Northern Areas, have never shown any desire to become part of India.

Scenario 4

[​IMG]

Independent Kashmir

The difficulty of adopting this as a potential solution is that it requires India and Pakistan to give up territory, which they are not willing to do. Any plebiscite or referendum likely to result in a majority vote for independence would therefore probably be opposed by both India and Pakistan. It would also be rejected by the inhabitants of the state who are content with their status as part of the countries to which they already owe allegiance.

Scenario 5

[​IMG]

A smaller independent Kashmir

An independent Kashmir could be created from the Kashmir Valley - currently under Indian administration - and the narrow strip of land which Pakistan calls Azad Jammu and Kashmir. This would leave the strategically important regions of the Northern Areas and Ladakh, bordering China, under the control of Pakistan and India respectively. However both India and Pakistan would be unlikely to enter into discussions which would have this scenario as a possible outcome.

Scenario 6

[​IMG]

Independent Kashmir Valley

An independent Kashmir Valley has been considered by some as the best solution because it would address the grievances of those who have been fighting against the Indian Government since the insurgency began in 1989. But critics say that, without external assistance, the region would not be economically viable.

Scenario 7

[​IMG]

The Chenab formula

This plan, first suggested in the 1960s, would see Kashmir divided along the line of the River Chenab. This would give the vast majority of land to Pakistan and, as such, a clear victory in its longstanding dispute with India. The entire valley with its Muslim majority population would be brought within Pakistan's borders, as well as the majority Muslim areas of Jammu.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do YOU see the future of Kashmir?

3 people like this.
  2. jagjitnatt

jagjitnatt Major ELITE MEMBER

Its a no brainer really.

Any sane man would settle for solution 1. The patriotic ones would say complete kashmir administered by India, but that would not be possible without a full scale war.

3. desiman

desiman Lieutenant ELITE MEMBER

lol any sane INDIAN MAN lol i dont think our friends across the border share the same view lol

4. sidewinder

sidewinder FULL MEMBER

who said muslim population doesn't like India in northern region????
    According to polls conducted India is favored more than Pakistan..

5. Naren1987

Naren1987 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Could you provide links, plz?

6. Naren1987

Do you have links,
    I'd love to have them.

7. sidewinder

sidewinder FULL MEMBER

yes i have but they are safe guarding my house..you see "LINK LOCKS"..
    i will try to find it out.

8. sidewinder

sidewinder FULL MEMBER

9. prototype

prototype Major SENIOR MEMBER

scenario 1 suits the best as neither India nor Pakistan will surrender their respective regions

10. sidewinder

sidewinder FULL MEMBER

Yes our very own people have shown that they are loyal therefore no questions should be raised regarding their loyalty.

11. Desi Jatt

Desi Jatt Captain ELITE MEMBER

I have voted scenario 3..that is whole of kashmir with India...I voted that because it asked which solution I would like..well then ofcourse I would like whole kashmir with India.

now practically thats not possible, once an area is occupied by a party, it would never give it back..neither India nor pakistan.So the status quo seems more practical and likely.

12. prototype

hahahaha,to much optimistic:india:

13. booo

booo Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

I've been to kashmir very recently on my bike travelling through Pathankot-Udhampur-Srinagar-Zozilla Pass-Drass-Kargil-Batalik-Leh-Nubra Valley-PangangTso.

Here is what i've seen:
    1. From Pathankot through udhampur till Jawahar Tunnel, it was mostly inhabited by Hindus. You could find Vaishno dhabas and lot of Vaishno tourists along this route.
    2. From Jawahar Tunnel through srinagar till Kargil were mostly muslims.
    3. Immediately after Kargil city the batalik range starts and from here on and in all the places of leh-ladakh you will find only budhists.
    4. We stopped at Darchik villege in Batalik sector where the villegers were calling themselves as aryans. And they were telling us explicitly that there were no muslims in that villege. though all the army officers posted there were muslims.

After all this assuming that J&K has only hindus and muslims IMO is a wrong notion. I think a third of the J&K is inhabited by Ladakis who are mainly budhists.

Presence of Army:
    1. All the soldier like looking people on Jammu-Srinagar highway were CRPF men with INSAS or AK47. They had body armour and armoured caps. either patrolling with red flags on the highway or landmine detectors.
    2. All the soldier like looking people in Srinagar were either CRPF of JKP. They too were patrolling with INSAS and a very few with AK47/sten sub machine gun.
    3. We found army only on the zozilla/Batalik/Siachin Base camp etc... which were front lines.
    4. there were many army canvoys carrying supplies on Jammu-Srinagar highway and other highways.
    5. Most of the other trucks with army numbers were BRO vehicles.

I've never seen an army person administering civilians anywhere. Army were either patrolling the border areas or taking care of their own canvoys.

Now if someone wants kashmir to be in pakistan because its inhabited by muslims, its just lame. there are equal number of hindus and budhists living there.

cheers

OSO, omya, kabir and 1 other person like this.
  14. Naren1987

I think we can actually make that happen,
    1.Sign a truce with China(Trade with China to make Pakistan and Aksai Chin irrelevent)
    2.Move all the military equipment alongside the western border, (MKIs, FGFAs)
    etc
    3.Enter into greater strategic partnership with Afghanistan,Iran.
    4.It will bleed Pakistan's budget, and without US aid they will be beseiged.
    5.Integrate Kashmir with economic development.
    Greater prosperity in India will encourage POKashmiris to join India, remember, POK is very backward, when it comes to the economy.

1 person likes this.
  15. prototype

not that easy
    1.impossible
    2.only if 1st is possible
    3.terror between india and afgan,u.s b/t india and iran
    4.only possible if u.s leave afgan then again making point 3 impossible
    5.we can even do that now