Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

The next President of India

Discussion in 'The Big Adda' started by uptotrix, Jan 31, 2012.

?

The next President should be

1. N R Narayana Murthy (industrialist/entrepreneur)

6.3%
  2. Azim Premji (tycoon/industrialist)

12.5%
  3. Former Chief Justice (specifiy)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Former Governor (specifiy)

6.3%
  5. Retired Politician (specifiy)

6.3%
  6. Artist - actor, dancer, singer etc (specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other

12.5%
  8. Anna Hazare

18.8%
  9. RATAN TATA

18.8%
  10. DIGVIJAY SINGH .. :)

18.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uptotrix

uptotrix Captain SENIOR MEMBER

As you are all (some) aware that our President Pratibha Patil finishes her term in office this year. So I wondered if you guys had anyone suitable in mind who could take up the mantle or should the current President be re-elected?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    May be some new waitress of the choice of the Italian waitress.

1 person likes this.
  3. SajeevJino

SajeevJino Major SENIOR MEMBER

please mention the names of the Nominees.....?
    What about Anna Hazare...

If congress elected him what do you say....?

4. uptotrix

I can't edit the polls now, he could be the candidate but congress won't select him.

5. GUNS-N- ROSES

GUNS-N- ROSES Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    i hope he doesnt become one.

6. Osiris

Osiris Major SENIOR MEMBER

my choices are

1) Farooq Abdullah

or some one from North east India like P.A Sangma

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  7. Rehan123

Rehan123 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Seriously?!?!? Anna Hazare?!?!? You wish that a person who has shown scant regard to the basic pillars of Indian Democracy be made the President of India? Hazare may have noble goals but his methods leave a lot to be desired. Nobody has any right to hold democracy to ransom and that is what Hazare is doing. His demands may not be unreasonable (I am yet to be convinced that this "lokpal" will be anything more than yet another avenue for corruption) but accepting them will be a threat to democracy. Today it is Hazare saying he will starve himself to death if you don't follow his demands. Tomorrow someone else with his/her own group of supporters could do the same for not-so benign demands.... Anyway i don't understand what this manic craze about Hazare is all about. Irom Sharmila has been fasting for more than 5 years in Assam, yet no one seems to give a damn about it. Why?

As for our next president, I wish to put forward Ratan Tata as a candidate. He has been a stalwart of the Indian industry for untold years and comes across to the world as a learned man with strong sense of integrity and honour. He is retiring from the post of Chairman of Tata group this year. IMO he is the best candidate available.

1 person likes this.
  8. Osiris

i am against electing Business men or Tycoons or Industrialists as president of country ..

9. Rehan123

Why?? They make a better choice than geriatric politicians with one leg already in the grave...

Anyway the role of President of India is quite limited. Ultimately it boils down to that of a figurehead in terms of national politics and that of a diplomat in terms of international politics. IMO no career politician should ever become President of India. Politicians are generally unable to leave their politics behind when they become President. I'd rather have a non-partisan luminary as President of India than any politician. As far as I am concerned APJ Abdul Kalam was by far the best President of India ever. He was well respected both in India and abroad and this helped him perform his role eminently. My choice for President of India would always be a notable sceintist/ honest industrialist rather than politicians/ artists.

10. Osiris

U r Choice was Ratan Tata ,i think u forgot about Radia tapes ,corporate lobbying ..These corporates are equally corrupt as our politicians

11. uptotrix

There is one other category we should consider- scientists (from isro,drdo, hal etc).

1 person likes this.
  12. Vidyanshu

Vidyanshu Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Biggest joke of the year!!!

13. Rehan123

Not that I am calling all industrialist clean from corruption but I think there are some good ones, just like there are corrupt ones.

AFAIK the CBI gave a clean chit to Ratan Tata and the Tata Group in the Radia Tapes/ 2g scam controversy last October. I thought it emerged from the investigation that Ratan Tata had above-the-board corporate dealings with Radia. Some conversations between Tata and Radia were taped and subsequently these were leaked to the media. My understanding is that the CBI concluded that these had nothing to do with the scam itself. There were also some reports that Tata knew about these tapes prior to the leaks and had willingly agreed with the CBI that these could be used for prosecution provided they not be released publically. At least this is my understanding of the Ratan Tata's role in the Niira Radia controversy.

As for lobbying, it is an unfortunate reality of capitalism and modern life. Lobbying is something that almost every Indian has indulged in some way or the other. Getting a recommendation from someone for an interview/ admission; asking people close to authority to intervene on your behalf... I find it absurd to hold others to standards that I do not follow myself.

Anyway that is just my opinion. If you don't mind may I ask once again why you are opposed to industrialists as President of India. You yourself just said that our politicians are corrupt (rather industrialists are just as corrupt as politicians as you put it). Yet you put forward two politicians as possible candidates....

14. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Lt. Colonel SENIOR MEMBER

I wouldn't mind that.

15. Bang Galore

Bang Galore Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Hamid Ansari would be one of the candidates, Pranab Mukerji would be another. Maybe even MMS himself. No real scope for a non politician.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.