Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Thousands of Indian Muslims volunteer to protect holy shrines in Iraq

Discussion in 'International Relations' started by Gessler, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    While the Indian government is considering a plan to evacuate some 10,000 of its nationals from war-torn Iraq, thousands at home have registered as volunteers to travel to the insurgency-wracked country caught in a conflict between Sunni Islamist militants and the majority Shia population. The volunteers are being organized by the Anjuman-e-Haideri, an organization that looks after the Dargah Shah-e-Mardan, a Shia mosque in South Delhi. The Anjuman’s general secretary, Janab S. Bahadur Abbas Naqvi, said the organization had received 125,000 letters from volunteers willing to travel to Iraq to “help the wounded, protect the holy shrines of the Shia faith and even help the Indian government bring back the Indian nationals stuck in Iraq”. “Most of these people—95%—are Shias, there are (other) denominations and faiths as well,” Naqvi said. Of this 125,000, some 6,000-8,000 had sent in their passports and completed visa forms, said Naqvi, who is planning to visit Iraq later this week for a seven-day trip. “What we plan to do is travel around Iraq, visit the places where we can send the volunteers and then return in a week or so. The delegation I am travelling with has six members and we are all professionals—doctors and lawyers,” Naqvi said. The cities of Najaf and Karbala are two places in Iraq that are especially revered by Shias worldwide. Najaf is home to the shrine of Imam Ali, the son-in-law of the Prophet Mohammed, who Shias believe is the Caliph. Karbala houses the shrine of Imam Hussein, the grandson of the Prophet. The ministry of external affairs in New Delhi, which has been working to bring back Indians from Iraq, did not comment on the Anjuman’s plans to facilitate the travel of volunteers. An official pointed out that there were two advisories issued by the ministry against travel to Iraq. Naqvi’s plans are expected to add to the problems of the Narendra Modi government, which according to reports, is troubled by news of Indian Sunni Muslims travelling to Iraq to join the militants. When asked if the organization was aware of the government advisories and the dangers of sending people across to Iraq, Naqvi said he knew about both. “The government of India is not responsible for us, we are fully aware of the problems and dangers associated with this,” Naqvi said. The Iraqi embassy in New Delhi was issuing visas and “is very happy that we are standing with them at this hour of their need,” Naqvi said. The volunteers would travel to Iraq through Iran, Yemen or Turkey, he said. According to the “Iraq volunteer form” circulated to people across the country and seen by Mint, volunteers acknowledge that they are adults and fully capable of taking their own decisions. “I am against terrorism which I believe is one of the most serious threat to humanity”, says the undertaking that each volunteer signs. “That the decision to travel to Iraq for defending the sanctity and honour of holy shrines in that country is solely my own. In fact I was contemplating of going there on my own and I am grateful to Anjuman E Haideri for facilitating this journey for myself and innumerable other individuals like me,” it says. The volunteers must also undertake that they will not violate any Indian, international or Iraqi laws during their stay and “all activities will always be within the four corners of legal framework”. This comes against the backdrop of worries expressed by many countries that many of their Muslim nationals were involved in the fighting in Iraq. The volunteers also state clearly that the decision to travel to Iraq is theirs and taken freely, “fully conscious of the imminent dangers and exigencies involved”.

@vstol jockey @INDIAN NATIONALIST @omya - How should we look at this?

Zeus_@21, omya and INDIAN NATIONALIST like this.
  2. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    Americans have done a splendid job by creating ISIS. US is becoming an expert in outsourcing its wars and muslims are the perfect fools to fall to this trap. This will soon engulf entire muslim world into wars for either dominance or sectarian violence or infighting to share the loot but the worst part is that US does not need ME oil anymore. They now have enough to even export. So this is the perfect way to disrupt oil supplies from ME to ensure they capture European markets.

rocky.idf, Zeus_@21, kiduva21 and 3 others like this.
  3. marshal panda

marshal panda Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    We don't want spillover Shia-Sunni conflict spreading to India. If Iran is sucked in,we may even have to receive Shia refugees from Pakistan.

INDIAN NATIONALIST and omya like this.
  4. omya

omya Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    good fuuk offff and dont ever come back

+1

5. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    Hmm...Muslims killing each other off.

omya likes this.
  6. INDIAN NATIONALIST

INDIAN NATIONALIST Major SENIOR MEMBER

Actively becoming a member of foreign militant organization in this manner should be considered by GoI as relinquishing one's citizenship.

marshal panda and omya like this.
  7. Bismarck

Bismarck BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    It might spill over in India which has sizeabe nos of both sunnis and shias who till now were quite comfortable beiig muslim only and hence forth they might write as SUNNI MUSLIM or SHIA muslim in their birth certificate and school leaving certificate

8. Gessler

Gessler BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    Do you think that would be good or bad for India as a whole and the Hindus in particular?

9. Zeus_@21

Zeus_@21 Major SENIOR MEMBER

Violence will spill over to us Hindus also. Remember we are still a developing economy. Any such incident will cause some serious troubles.

India shouldn't allow this. Those who wish to go to Iraq to fight/kill should be allowed only on one condition i.e. you never come back to India. Stay there till you become 'allah ko pyara'. :D

Gessler likes this.
  10. Bismarck

Bismarck BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
    Welll you can see what happens in Pakistan, when they bomb the mosques and plant bombs in Shia areas, burn the buses carrying shias and kill them en masse, but in India there are significant nos of Shias and they are well funded too, and thus it might end up creating internal security issue and almost daily bombing of each others mosques and most mosques as you know are in highly populated areas and markets...
    Thus the colateral damage will be huge

11. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Plus wreck the Asian Economies
    Specially India and China

12. Manmohan Yadav

Manmohan Yadav Brigadier STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    there wont be many, since the entire border is fenced and heavily guarded