Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Tony Blair says EU could compromise on freedom of movement

Discussion in 'Europe & Russia' started by BMD, Jul 15, 2017 at 9:46 PM.

1. BMD

BMD Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40615119

Mr Blair spoke to the BBC after he argued in an article for his own institute that there was room for compromise on free movement of people.

He told Today the situation in Europe was different to when Britain voted to leave the EU - a move Mr Blair described as "the most serious it's taken since the Second World War".

He said France's new president, Emmanuel Macron - whose political party was formed last year - was proposing "far-reaching reforms" for the EU.

"Europe itself is now looking at its own reform programme," Mr Blair said.

"They will have an inner circle in the EU that will be part of the eurozone and an outer circle."

When pressed on what evidence there was to suggest European nations would compromise, Mr Blair said: "I'm not going to disclose conversations I've had within Europe, but I'm not saying this literally on the basis of a whim.

"They will make reforms that I think will make it much more comfortable for Britain to fit itself in that outer circle."

He said "majorities" of people in France, Germany and the UK supported changes around benefits and with regards to those who come to Europe without a job.

2. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Major SENIOR MEMBER

Blair is pulling this out of his @rse just as much as Boris Johnson pulled the 'EU can whistle' comment out of his. The are quite clear on what they want and they seem ready to make Britain pay. If Britain doesn't move fast it will both pay the divorce bill and also end up with a brexit without a deal.

3. BMD

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Probably, but Erasmus Macroman also said he wanted reform.

The bit where he says, "most serious decision since WWII," is amusing though. More serious than say the decision to invade Iraq over non-existent WMDs?

4. BMD

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom