Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Transport Aircrafts of IAF - C-130J, C-17 Globemaster, C295: Updates & Discussions

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by hotstud69, May 1, 2010.

1. GuardianRED

GuardianRED Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Any Idea - What is the name of the New Squadron?

2. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    No idea bro, AFAIK it isn't offcially commisioned yet (that will happen in a few weeks/months when the remaining a/c arrive) so we'll have to wait and see.

GuardianRED likes this.
  3. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate THINKER

Country Flag:
    India
    The reason, if I recall correctly (as I was half listening when I was being explained the issue), is that the internal winch/crane is sufficient for IL 76. For C-17, every time it needs to operate in forward areas (read Leh/Thoise) it has to carry its tractors et al .. the whole plethora of equipment along.

More cumbersome logistically speaking :D

I will, of course, get back on the correct information as soon as I can.

GuardianRED likes this.
  4. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

78 was so because of Il-78, 50 was because of A-50, but C-130 in 77 :blink:

Abingdonboy likes this.
  5. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

No.

This 'under reporting of ACs' is to preclude them being run down in SPG vehicle ferry duty. Rahul Baba goes to Goa, his vehicles are flown in IL-76. Next day he wants to go to Bengal, and again.

I mean, GoI does not want to buy new platforms, expects air force to meet all useless obligations which can be met through private players/other agencies and then expects 100% availability for war with sluggish spare procurement process?

WTF!!!

As for Hangars, they were not included into contract unlike with C-130J, where the US simply refused to provide guarantee of equipment without proper logistics in place, which they built, including fingerprint access control to hangars and state of the art security of the hangars.

For IL-78, the civilian force which has NFU, MES - made them. They are so big, that apart from AF Sumos and other vehicles like Air Crew Vans, nothing can come into them. One collapsed when a storm came!

That is the level of our GoI. And MES is not under armed forces control, thanks to 147 HAG appointments and Army having only 47. And the Assistant Engineer, of course, makes more than the Chief Engineer thanks to the NFU, so he is not bothered, as neither can he be fired, nor his pay stopped.

And Parrikar ensured it further, by making two independent headquarters for MES which delinked them from Army Commander's Control through Chief Engineer of Eastern and Northern Command.

Excellent going.

Also, Aircrafts are being kept AOG 'Aircraft on Ground' to ensure airframe life is not eaten up. Tomorrow, armed forces have to fight war with what they have, nation will not forget or forgive them or try the bastard politicians, for loss of National Sovereignty.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Abingdonboy, GuardianRED and Agent_47 like this.
  6. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    AFAIK only the PM's vehicles are taken around the country/region by the SPG, all other protectees (Gandhis) get sourced vehicles by local agencies when travelling outside of Delhi/NCR. You can even see this in the recent "attack" on Rahul- he wasn't travelling in an armoured vehicle but a locally sourced (unarmoured) vehicle (apparently against SPG advice).

Also, most of the time the PM's vehicles are moved by rail around the country, the IAF is only used to transport them to other nations (Nepal, Bhutan, BD, Fiji, SL etc).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    GuardianRED likes this.
  7. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Hmm, I didn't realise this was how it worked- certainly the IAF have broken this recently 77 for C-130J-30s and 81 for C-17s.

Hellfire and GuardianRED like this.
  8. Hellfire

Country Flag:
    India

"AFAIK" - the operative word there. I am talking of UPA era moves ..and SPG vehicles are still being ferried for his security. He is just one example.

As for the bold - whose vehicles are then being carted around by 44 Squadron?

Abingdonboy likes this.
  9. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Again I don't know the specifics but I know for a fact that most of the movements of the PM's fleet inside of India is done via special rail carriages and not via IAF a/c.

10. sunstersun

sunstersun Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Canada
    http://www.airforcemag.com/DRArchive/Pages/2014/January 2014/January 02 2014/Requirements-Mulled-for-Next-Generation-Airlifter.aspx

>Air Mobility Command is in the early stages of defining requirements for the Air Force's next-generation airlifter, the C-X, and it could replace the C-17 and C-130 alike, said command boss Gen. Paul Selva. He told the Daily Report that AMC is "beginning to define what the airlift fleet looks like, not in 2020, but into the early '30s and on into the '40s." If requirements demand an aircraft able to operate in contested or denied airspace, that suggests curtailing C-130 buys late in this decade, he said, so that the Air Force isn't "buying ourselves into a legacy airplane" that can't do the job. Much depends on how the Army shapes itself for "tactical and operational maneuver" and "the contribution that [air]lifter will make to that maneuver," said Selva. AMC has been working with Air Force Materiel Command and the Air Force Research Lab to explore what's possible, he said. After this "conceptual" work, AMC may still need one cargo airplane for strategic work and one for tactical tasks, but Selva said he wants a plan in hand well before the C-17 starts to retire "so we don't collide with a sort of 'double recap' requirement." The Air Force might still replace all its C-130Hs with C-130Js, but "it's not clear" at this point "that that's the only option," he said during the mid December interview.

Kinda old, but I think it's worth bringing up.

I'd imagine the C-130 replacement would take a lot from the V-22.

11. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

12. Anish

Anish BANNED BANNED

Country Flag:
    India
  13. sunstersun

sunstersun Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Canada
    C-17 proving to be worth every penny.

Gessler and Abingdonboy like this.
  14. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Always the IAF's/India's first responder.....

15. Gessler

Gessler Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    Two more C-130J-30s (KC-3809 and KC-3811) spotted during a stopover in Lisbon, on their way to India -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Abingdonboy likes this.