Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

UAE in final stages of talks to buy Rafale jets: Air Chief

Discussion in 'Greater Asia & Middle East' started by Anees, Nov 12, 2015.

1. IndiranChandiran

IndiranChandiran Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

While this isn't the right thread for my post , I crave indulgence .
    After the statement by a senior L & M official in the Abu Dhabi (?) Air show a few days ago , it's safe to assume the F - 16's won't figure in the calculations of the MoD .Frankly , the Gripen doesn't bring much to the table if one were to consider MII & ToT as the quoted post makes clear .

Howrver there remains a slim chance of getting these SE LCA's off the shelf if we are to make up the depleting nos rapidly .It'd also prove to be cost effective & save time as opposed to the MII now adopted by the MP led MoD as some sort of gospel .Here , the F-16's stand a better chance than the Gripen & should be the way forward .

If the MoD persists in its stance of MII for the 100 - 200 odd SE LCA FA , it leaves the line clear for more Mk1a & Mk2.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  2. Ankit Kumar 001

Ankit Kumar 001 Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    India
    See , China will take 10-15 years more to get to the level[purely technological] of Russia [of today], forget about USA/Western Europe.

But technology alone does not win wars or establish a monopoly, and China has the resources , with which even with current growth rate it will gain the title of Single most capable warfighting institution in 2 Decades.

But I would like to share this with you , actually the Radars, Sonar, EW, Combat Management Systems, SAM, Torpedoes , Fixed and Rotary wing , Armour Capability , etc , etc ..... they have been greatly aided by west. To the extent that when Chinese failed to licence manufacture American Torpedoes in China, USA sent its own experts to help them out. So did Italy with Sonar, Radars and SAM systems.

So they are quite capable.

zebra7, SR-91 and PARIKRAMA like this.
  3. IndiranChandiran

IndiranChandiran Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Thanks for responding .
    There seems to be some conflict in your views there .But I won't dwell on it .

The exchanges you are talking about must be in the pre 1990 era .For ,since then , there has been a complete embargo on sales of military equipment & dual use items by the West to China .Granted there have been lapses here & there by the Italians, the French & the Israelis but they have desisted from proceeding when asked to do so by the US.

I'm not denying their capabilities , just trying to appraise them in the right manner .

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  4. randomradio

randomradio Colonel Technical Analyst

Yeah, more or less.

But I have seen western USAF officials, even an Australian AF official claim the Chinese are decades behind. I don't get the point of that.

Are they way too scared of China to tell the truth or simply in denial, I can't make out.

AbRaj, PARIKRAMA and Inactive like this.
  5. SR-91

SR-91 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    If UAE and Russia are planning to develop a new 5th generation fighter jet then they should seriously consider joining hands with India as this partnership will bring down cost tremendously. India should push hard for this partnership, it will also bring UAE closer together with India.

Ved Mishra likes this.
  6. Sathya

Sathya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    U mean getting them onboard for FGFA ?

7. SR-91

SR-91 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Sure

Ved Mishra and Sathya like this.
  8. Ved Mishra

Ved Mishra Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

I am still wondering why should UAE go for fifth generation fighter. Rafale should be enough for them. I think this is Modi's genious plan if at all this is true to lure them of the capability and get them become a partner thus reducing cost of development as it will be shared now between three countries. It's a masterstroke if it's true.

9. randomradio

randomradio Colonel Technical Analyst

It's for a medium weight fighter, not PAK FA.

10. Sathya

Sathya Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    recently there was a news that India will participate in anew aircraft design , since pak fa has progressed ahead without Indian participation..

Are these two related ?

11. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

Actually it looks more like Russia is desperate to get export and funding and is even ready to sell to countries, that potentially pose a threat to Russias partners in the region. Gulf countries getting stealth techs is a direct threat to Iran and India, for us it doesn't even need to be the fighter itself that opposes us, but it's techs finding it's way to Pakistan.

There is a reason why western countries kept limits to what is available for the Gulf countries, but if Russia is pushing this, the chances for new wars in the middle east will grow, which also will effect us at least economically. Man and we still are debating about LCA.

Also if Russia finds other countries that can fund their developments, that's not good but bad for India. So far they were dependent on China and us buying their stuff in big procurements. If they get other ways to get the money, it makes them more independent from us, therefor we have less leverage on them.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    SR-91, Bregs and Agent_47 like this.