Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

UK's largest ever warship, HMS Queen Elizabeth, sets sail for the first time

Discussion in 'Europe & Russia' started by lca-fan, Jun 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor BANNED BANNED

You're adding auxiliary units. Like I said even if you kept them all running you have more than 3 times the displacement, 5 times the crew (with living quarters), flight operations, jets and fuel for them-- all this accommodated with just a 65000 hp increase in power? Nice try.

2. BMD

BMD Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    You do know what a full integrated power system is right? All units can power the vessel.

Firstly, it's a carrier not a destroyer, of course the power-to-weight is lower, but power-to-weight only affects acceleration not top speed. Nobody expects a floating city to manoeuvre like a power boat anymore than they expect a tank to win at Indianapolis.

As an equally ridiculous counter point I could say that the F-35B has roughly the same power as the Zumwalt but weighs 50 times less.

3. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor BANNED BANNED

no. Sub reactors are not suited for carriers. And lemme tell you no carrier operates with '3 or 4' reactors, most of them have just 2 for one. For another I think unlike the subs they have to integrate to a single drive to propel the ship. As far as I can remember the subs use electric motors that use power from the reactor. The roll handling characteristic of a carrier reactor are very different from that of subs. These are just starting. Even otherwise your points make no sense. Even if I assume that there is a direct parallel between between a sub reactor and a carrier reactor- your current capacity is to propel a 7000 T submarine (let me laugh sarcastically here :lol:) Using your math you will need NINE not 4 reactors to power QE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.