Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Under-Defended India: How lack of strategic thinking WILL lead to a crisis tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Indian Defence Industry' started by assistantdevil, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. assistantdevil

assistantdevil IDF NewBie

While all of the points mentioned in the article below have been discussed separately but considering all of them together hints at a system-wide failure to recognize need and establish priority. My question: who is responsible?

The following article was published in Business Standard on 23rd August 2013 by Ajai Shukla.

A link to the article on the author's blog: Broadsword: Under-defended India

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  2. The Drdo Guy

The Drdo Guy Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Re: Under-Defended India: How lack of strategic thinking WILL lead to a crisis tomorr

i think we need to give 4% of GDP to the defence sector at least and when the economy does well we need to allocate more funds and if we stick to this plan for 10 years or so indian forces will become unmatchable in atleast south east asia.

3. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Re: Under-Defended India: How lack of strategic thinking WILL lead to a crisis tomorr

Actually we need to invest in Infra and R&D, that will help us in Long run. Encourage defence PSU's to create more future tech, projects engage the young minds into the development projects.

And last but no the least kick the granny politicians out.

2 people like this.
  4. INDIAN NATIONALIST

INDIAN NATIONALIST Major SENIOR MEMBER

India has a representative form of government, so in many ways the buck stops with our families, the regular citizens, with respect to the state of governance and the military. I would like for Indians to be united in rage against incompetence in curbing China and even Pakistani aggression. But I don't think national priorities will allow for this sort of reform until Indians are nationalist-minded, before they are community- or family-minded.

India still needs to provide basic education, literacy, nutrition, and health-care to massive portion of its population. India needs to provide for its own national security now more than ever. At the same time, if illiteracy is 60% in some places, I think we're putting the cart before the horse to concentrate on maintaining superpower class military. Most people have little concept of national interests, and won't vote, demand, and petition for the national interest if they've no exposure to anything but their community, and traditionalist culture that doesn't comprehend the scope of a nation's interest.

India certainly can provide all of the above and have competent national security. But the governance and power structure has to be there to execute reforms. And with a representative form of government, the people have to be educated with the right ideas before we expect our representatives to.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.