Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

United Colors of Religions

Discussion in 'General Multimedia' started by chachachoudhary, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chachachoudhary

chachachoudhary Captain SENIOR MEMBER

[​IMG]
    PS: Please feel free to make any suggestions.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  2. chachachoudhary

No replies. Ok, no problem. I will start with Places of worship section. Let us cover places of worships and some information about them in this part. I am starting with Hindu temples.

Sanskrit: देवालयः
    Tamil: கோயில்
    Telugu :దేవాలయం
    Kannada: ದೇವಸ್ಥಾನ
    Hindi: मन्दिर
    Gujarati : મંદિર
    Marathi: देऊळ
    Bengali: Mondir মন্দির
    Malayalam: Kshetram/Ambalam അമ്പലം
    Punjabi: ਮੰਦਰ

Regionwise, temples not only differ in their names, but also by their architecture, methods of worship, prayers, rituals. These things are strictly governed by certain rules. These rules are described in detail in the scriptures called Agamas. the Agamas are a Non-Vedic collection of Sanskrit scriptures which are revered and followed by millions of Hindus. Their beginnings can be traced to the Indus Valley period of about 2500 BCE. The Agamas are the primary source and authority for yoga methods and instruction. The Shaiva Agamas revere the Ultimate Reality as Lord Shiva (Shaivism). The Vaishnava-Agamas (Pancharatra and Vaikhanasas Samhitas) adore the Ultimate Reality as Vishnu (Vaishnavism). The Shakta-Agamas (Tantras) venerate the Ultimate Reality as Shakti the consort of Shiva and Divine Mother of the universe (Shaktism).

The two main schools in the Vaishnava Agama are Pancharatra and Vaikanasa Agama. The Saiva Agama has led to the Saiva Siddhanta philosophy in South India and to the Pratyabhijna system of Kashmir Saivism.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. chachachoudhary

South Indian Temples-Tamilnadu

Many large bannabs (grand stone temples) still stand in South India. Ritual tends to be orthodox and elaborate especially in the large vedic brahmincal temples, which follow the pan-Indian Sanskrit agama scriptural traditions. Apart from the main fixed stone deities, processional deities made of panchaloha/panchadhatu (an alloy of five metals - gold, silver, copper, zinc and tin) are bathed, dressed, decorated with valuables and taken out in processions for various festivals throughout the year.

[​IMG]
    Suchindram Temple, Kanyakumari, Tamil Nadu..

[​IMG]
    Sri Ranganathaswamy Kovil ( Temple ), Srirangam (Near Trichy), Tamil Nadu

[​IMG]
    Arulmigu Meenakshi Sundareswarar ThiruKovil, Madurai , Tamil Nadu

[​IMG]
    Shore Temple, Mahabalipuram, Tamil Nadu

[​IMG]
    Arulmigu ArunachaleswararTemple , Thiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
    2 people like this.
  4. chachachoudhary

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brihadeeshwar temple, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu.

The Gopuram of this Temple does not cast any Shadow. Also the Vimaanam( top of the gopuram) of this temple is made of one Single Stone.

5. prototype

prototype Major SENIOR MEMBER

Cham people

The Cham people are an ethnic group in Southeast Asia mainly found in Cambodia and Vietnam.Their total population is around 7 lakhs.

Cham is a multi religious ethnic group were the Cambodian Cham's mainly follow Islam and Hinduism whereas Vietnamese Cham's following Hinduism ,Islam and Buddhism.

Cham form the core of the Muslim communities in both Cambodia and Vietnam.

They r basically remnants of the Kingdom of Champa between 7th to 12th century.

The first religion of the Champa was a form of Shaivite Hinduism, brought by sea from India.Arabs brought the Islamic culture through Vietnam and soon it started to influence them.The exact date is not known but followed after Islam's arrival in China.The Arab's came only in contact with Cham's in Vietnam and this is the reason why Champs r mainly associated with Islam in South East.

Among the 50,000 Hindu Cham's mostly belong to Nagavamshi Kshatriya caste and a minority of them r Brahmin's.In their language Hindu temple is known as Bimong while the priest's r called Halau Tamunay Ahier.

most of the Cham's in Vietnam reside in Ninh Thuan Province were their r 15 Hindu villages and 10 Muslim village.

The majority of Cham's who reside in Cambodia r Muslim's(around 90%),during Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia,they had suffered heavily with almost half of their population exterminated.

1 person likes this.
  6. chachachoudhary

[​IMG]
    Nataraja Temple, Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu

[​IMG]
    Tiruchendur Sri Subrahmanya Swami Devasthanam, Tiruchendur, Tamil Nadu

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Kamakshiamman temple, Tamilnadu

The Meenakshi Temple in Madurai, the Akilandeswari temple in Thiruvanaikaval near Tiruchirappalli and this Kamakshi are the important centers of worship of Parvati as the mother goddess, in the state of Tamil Nadu. The temple was most probably built by the Pallava kings, whose capital was Kanchipuram, around 6 C.E.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
    3 people like this.
  7. chachachoudhary

Prototype, can you see the thanks button? I can't. Something wrong here.

8. SpArK

SpArK SorCeroR Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Look at the bottom Left side .Its there with the caution symbol.

9. chachachoudhary

Yes Benny got it. I had to get out of the thread and come back to find it again. Thanks.

10. chachachoudhary

Coming up with very interesting facts, information, and images. Stay tuned guys.

11. illuminatidinesh

illuminatidinesh 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Hey Chacha why did u stop... I was expecting more.

12. chachachoudhary

I did not stop buddy. Actually, the information that will be revealed in this thread is so amazing and unique and I will make a post only when I am in good mood. Last couple of days have not been good for me. I myself get bewildered what to post and how to compose my posts. Thanks for your reply. Trust me, this thread is going to be very interesting soon.

13. prototype

The Biggest Temple of the world-The Great Angkor Wat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. prototype

15. chachachoudhary

[​IMG]

Meenakshi amman temple, madurai, Tamilnadu

[​IMG]

It is dedicated to Lord Shiva - who is known here as Sundareswarar or Beautiful Lord- and his consort, Parvati who is known as Meenakshi. The temple forms the heart and lifeline of the 2500 year old city of Madurai. The complex houses 14 magnificent Gopurams or towers including two golden Gopurams for the main deities, that are elaborately sculptured and painted. The temple is a significant symbol for the Tamil people, and has been mentioned since antiquity in Tamil literature, though the present structure is believed to have been built in 1600. The tallest temple tower is 51.9 metres (170 ft) high

Thirugnanasambandar, the famous Hindu saint of Shaiva philosophy, mentioned this temple as early as the 7th century, and described the Lord as Aalavai Iraivan. The temple was believed to have been sacked by the infamous Muslim invader Malik Kafur in 1310 and all the ancient elements were destroyed. The initiative to rebuild the structure was taken by first Nayak King of Madurai Viswanatha Nayak (1559-1600 A.D.) under the supervision of Ariyanatha Mudaliar, the Prime Minister of the Nayak Dynasty and the founder of the Poligar System. Then came the most valuable contributions of King Thirumalai Nayak circa 1623 to 1659.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.