Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

US drops largest non-nuclear bomb in Afghanistan after Green Beret killed

Discussion in 'The Americas' started by defc0n, Apr 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. defc0n

defc0n 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    The U.S. military dropped the largest non-nuclear bomb in eastern Afghanistan on Thursday just days after a Green Beret was killed fighting ISIS there, a U.S. defense official confirmed to Fox News.

The GBU-43B, a 21,000-pound conventional bomb, was dropped on an ISIS tunnel complex in Nangarhar Province.

The MOAB -- Massive Ordinance Air Blast -- is also known as the “Mother Of All bombs.” It was first tested in 2003, but hadn't been used before Thursday.

The MOAB is so massive it had to be dropped out of the back of a U.S. Air Force C-130 cargo plane.

"We kicked it out the back door," one U.S. official told Fox News.

For comparison to the 21,000-pound MOAB, each Tomahawk cruise missile launched at Syria last week was 1,000-pounds each.

"As [ISIS'] losses have mounted, they are using IEDs, bunkers and tunnels to thicken their defense," Gen. John Nicholson, Commander of U.S. Forces in Afghanistan, said in a statement. "This is the right munition to reduce these obstacles and maintain the momentum of our offensive against [ISIS]."

The statement said U.S. forces took every precaution to avoid civilian casualties.

Source : http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/0...ghanistan-after-green-beret-killed.print.html

2. SrNair

SrNair Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Amen for all paradise seekers from Kerala.

nair and Ved Mishra like this.
  3. Indian Jatt

Indian Jatt 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    This is the worst decisions made by a US president in last decade, something against humanity as i told earlier, pin pointing the enemy makes sense, and also dont try to install democracy on a personal computer of someone who likes monarchy......leave Afghanistan to Russians and Chinese.....

Sancho likes this.
  4. InfoWarrior

InfoWarrior 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    One MOAB costs about $16 million, according to military equipment site Deagel.com .
    [​IMG]

Grevion likes this.
  5. lca-fan

lca-fan Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    US 'mother of all bombs' kills 36 Islamic State militants: Afghan officials

[​IMG]
    HIGHLIGHTS
    • At least 36 ISIS militants were killed when US dropped "mother of all bombs" in Afghanistan.
    • Afghan defence ministry said no civilian has been hurt in the bombing.
    • The claims have not been independently verified.
    KABUL: As many as 36 suspected Islamic State militants were killed in Afghanistan when the United States dropped "the mother of all bombs," its largest non-nuclear device ever unleashed in combat, the Afghan defence ministry said on Friday.

The claims have not been independently verified, but ministry spokesman Dawlat Waziri said no civilians were harmed in Thursday's massive blast that targeted a network of caves and tunnels.

"No civilian has been hurt and only the base which Daesh used to launch attacks in other parts of the province, was destroyed," Waziri said in a statement, using an Arabic term for Islamic State, which has established a small stronghold in eastern Afghanistan and launched deadly attacks on the capital, Kabul.

http://m.timesofindia.com/world/sou...nts-afghan-officials/articleshow/58177444.cms

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

16 million dollar or Rs 2000 crore bomb to kill just 36 people. No doubt Americans are dumbest. @Averageamerican our surgical strikes were more effective and killed more pakistani Jihadis at 200th of this cost.:sarcastic::sarcastic::sarcastic:

SrNair and Sancho like this.
  6. Butter Chicken

Butter Chicken Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    103 crore,not 2000 crore

SrNair and InfoWarrior like this.
  7. YarS

YarS Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    Russian Federation
    Some of authors say, that most powerful non nuclear bomb is Russian "Father of all bombs" - AVPBM.

SrNair likes this.
  8. lca-fan

Country Flag:
    India
  9. SrNair

SrNair Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    At a glance it would be only 36 .But noone knows actual casualities in that area and medical issues it causes to the people in there.

10. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Key is their only launch underground base destroyed...
    They will be heavily hampered to launch further attacks from east.

Good testing of tech...

SrNair likes this.
  11. Flyboy!

Flyboy! Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Tsar bomba. Even the name is epic and sounds intimidating. It is a nuclear weapon.

12. A_poster

A_poster Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

No. It is FOAB ,conventional, and expected to be 4 times as deadly as MOAB. Tsara Bomba is nuclear weapon.

YarS likes this.
  13. Flyboy!

Flyboy! Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    My bad on this one. I thought the tsar bomba was the ultimate father of all bombs.

14. Nirbho

Nirbho Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Uncle Sam testing the Bomb in Afghanistan & analysing the destruction. It's actually meant for Afghan's neighbour(s).

15. lca-fan

Country Flag:
    India
    Kerala IS Recruits Caught in 'Mother of All Bombs' in Afghanistan?
    Arunima, Neethu Reghukumar [​IMG] Arunima24

New Delhi/Thiruvananthapuram: A group from Kerala which was suspected to have joined the Islamic State and two newborns were feared killed during the US bombing in Afghanistan on Thursday.

Intelligence inputs said the people, including three women, were in the same area where the US carried out the bombing. An NIA team will reach out to the families.

US forces struck an Islamic State tunnel complex with "the mother of all bombs," the largest non-nuclear weapon ever used in combat by the US military. The bomb, known officially as a GBU-43B, or massive ordnance air blast weapon, unleashes 11 tons of explosives. Afghan officials said at least 36 militants were decimated.

Bindhu, mother of Nimisha who went to Afghanistan along with her husband, said she was unaware of her daughter’s fate. “After hearing this news, I am breathless, don't know what has happened to my child. When my son-in-law called me in November, he told me they are in Nagarhara, which is the place that was affected by the US bombing. I don't know what has happened to my child and my granddaughter,” she told CNN-News18. Her granddaughter is one of the two children born after the group reached Afghanistan.

Seventeen men and three women from Kerala were suspected to have joined the Islamic State. While two men were reportedly killed earlier, a third was killed in a US drone strike a day before the bombing.

http://www.news18.com/news/india/ke...mbs-dropped-by-us-in-afghanistan-1373371.html