Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

US Secy of State Rex Tillerson's India visit: Updates

Discussion in 'International Relations' started by Gessler, Oct 26, 2017.

1. The enlightened

The enlightened Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

If Hamas can make cheap $10000 300 km DIY rockets, so can the Norks. In fact that technology likely flowed from Nk via Iran.

Yet nothing could be done yet. Do you now understand why?

Angel Eyes likes this.
  2. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Hamas don't have 300km rockets. Israel isn't even 300km across in any direction.

And besides that, NK is poor as ****. The US could build more THAADs than they could build RPGs.

3. The enlightened

The Nuclear Tests Begin
    By the early 1950s, the Atomic Energy Commission had moved in nearby to develop what would become the Nevada Test Site. It was there, just 20 :achmed: or so miles to the southwest of Groom Mine, on Frenchman Flat, that a 4.2-kiloton nuclear bomb was detonated in January 1951. Groom Mine was directly in the path of the weapon’s radioactive fallout.

Today, the Sheahans say nobody warned them.

View attachment upload_2017-10-30_19-39-47.gif
    Photo taken from a airliner flying along the western edge of restricted airspace shows the location of the Nevada Test Site in relation to Groom Mine and what is now Area 51. Photo credit cia Doc Searls/Flickr CC BY 2.0

According to Barbara Sheahan, the family and their workers were literally shaken out of their beds as the detonation occurred. Peering outside in horror, they saw what was a nuclear dawn rising over the mountain range across the lake bed. Hot metal pellets and other debris rained down on the mine as the fallout made its way across south central Nevada and into Utah.

The Sheahans’ once-quiet and pristine wilderness was now at the forefront of the atomic age and the Cold War’s nuclear arms race.

As nuclear tests continued, the Sheahans say that people and animals in the area suffered radiation burns. The government eventually had them wear radiation detectors.

Here is what National Geographic reported on the detonation in its June 1953 issue:

The Sheahan family and their mine employees were sleeping peacefully on the morning of January 27, 1951, when the first explosion on Frenchman Flat almost knocked them out of bed.

The family aids the Atomic Energy Commission by allowing a radiation monitoring station on its property, one of many fixed stations within 200 miles of the test site. The mine workers wear special “badges” of radio-sensitive film during and after each explosion as a further check of exposure to radioactivity. They have had to be evacuated once under its hazard.

Along with that report, a terrifying and now-famous picture was published that shows the Sheahans and their cat watching one of these nearby nuclear tests. You can see this historic image by clicking this link.

As time went on, news of the above-ground tests’ potentially horrific health consequences started to leak out. According to the family today, they were told over and over again by officials that the nuclear tests were safe for them, even though they were probably the closest civilians to the blasts and seemingly always in path of the fresh fallout.

News clipping from the Sheahan family.

Some time after the tests began, federal agents made a visit to the mine.

“One of the doctors that was out there with [the agents] pulled my father aside and told him, he said, ‘Look you need to get your family out of here,’” Joe Sheahan said. “My mother was so terrified that they left. My grandfather, Barbara and Ben’s dad, they stayed because they were trying to work the mine and trying to protect their property.”

With constant work interruptions due to the radiation and blast damage, the family says the once-profitable Groom Mine struggled to make ends meet. It had become too unsafe as a work environment, let alone as a place to live in.

The Sheahans say that protests to local officials, politicians and magistrates were met with empty replies and the constant passing of the buck. No one wanted to challenge the Air Force at a time when patriotism meant never speaking out against your government, especially when it came to things involved with the fight against communism.

Patrick Sheahan in front of a rock truck at Groom Mine. Patrick served during WWII with honor, receiving the Combat Infantry Badge and the Bronze Star for his courage fighting in the Pacific theater. Photo credit Sheahan family.

Over the following decade, 100 above-ground atmospheric nuclear tests would occur:achmed: before they were banned in the early 1960s. (Another 827 below-ground tests also occurred, continuing up until the early 1990s.)

The Unlikely Struggle Of The Family Whose Neighbor Is Area 51

Must have all died by cancer or turned into reptilians.

Wait what!

As for the Sheahans, they say all they have wanted is one of two things. The first is to be left alone on their property, without the ever tightening security noose around their necks.:woot:

4. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Why do you think they were banned? I have already linked evidence of health affects above.

5. The enlightened

160 km. How far was Seoul again.

[​IMG]

It's strong enough for Southies to not want any any piece of. That's strong enough.

6. sangos

sangos Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Mad Kim's EMP nukes sure has had a calming effect on the usual warmongers. Even super monsters are left barking themselves hoarse.:troll:

7. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    M-302 is only 100km.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khaibar-1

And smaller missiles would be shot down by smaller SAMs. But this is by-the-by. Most of this was done in the first 24 hours in 1991.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/135699054@N06/sets/72157680954005964

The first strikes will paralyse the NK command and control architecture using stealth aircraft and cruise missiles. Kim won't even be able to order a pizza, let alone a retaliatory strike.

8. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom