Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

We are not the U.S.: Manmohan

Discussion in 'International Relations' started by MyRaven, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ek_indian

ek_indian Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Ah...it is again BJP vs Congress.

Ok let me try to put this into different questions:

Do we have "US-like" strike capability on foreign soil? --> Yes. No doubt about it.
    Should we use this option or it is wiser to use this option against a country who has nothing expect "Islamic bomb" --> No. Certainly not.

That was the reason MMS is not going the way some people are asking for. This was precisely the reason why ABV did not go that way either. IMO, both BJP and Congress is following same policies in this matter. It is the policy of govt of India. Does not matter whether it is dhoti wearing or Pagdi wala PM.

As policy is concerned, I think we are going on right track. There may be few minor things which could go wrong. But overall we are on right track sonce Narsimha Rao barring IK Gujral and Dewegowda.

Lastly, we should we assume GoI is not doing any thing covertly?? :wink:

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. Optimist

Optimist Lieutenant SENIOR MEMBER

:no:

3. simplystupid

simplystupid Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

I love your passion.. but the problem is multidimensional. I feel as nation we are not there yet.

4. Sid

Sid Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Correct. I agree with you. We only feel 'patriotic' when something like Kargil happens or India plays against Pakistan in a cricket match. :sad:

5. Bang Galore

Bang Galore Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

That's how it should be, patriotism is not something that should be bandied about meaninglessly. We might become like Pakistan otherwise where "patriotic Pakistanis" are up in arms every day over something or the other ( usually caused by their own super patriots)

6. simplystupid

simplystupid Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

let me tell you some story... silly one. a young some where in India loves Deepika and want to marry Deepika. Pl. dont ask who is Deepika. But maried his neighbor, this does not mean he his love for Deepika is fake. :laugh: He is pragmatic.... how ever, wrt Pakisthan i would say some thing.. during Berlin blocked days no one actually thought that East Germany will accept West German constitution and merge and become Germany!!!!

7. Hembo

Hembo OLD MOD STAR MEMBER

That's a thought, which I'm sure, can be (and probably is being) deliberated at length in the circles that matter. However, the flipside is that, the state of madness Pakistan is in (breach of its sovereignity, fear of nuclear arsenal seizure, economic sh!thole, regular terrorist attack, the apparent conflict between civilian & military regime etc etc), even a covert operation (aka mosad) has 90% chance of being retaliated with a nuclear attack. And before, those brave ones jump their guns, let me clarify myself; I'm not saying that by trying to avoid any nuclear conflict (even if it is by the action of a highly turbulent & volatile country) is not cowardice. We have to be patient for a little while longer and see others (including Pakistan themself) doing our job. No matter how much GOP/ PA/ ISI shouts rhetorics against India or US, slowly slowly I see a pattern of Pakistan falling in line with the international comunities desire. They have to, other-wise the destruction (some of the Indians desires so badly) will be apparent in the near future.

BTW, a instable and destructed Pakistan is also not in India's favor IMHO. But that's a discussion for some other thread.

So why let the possibility of some of our countrymen suffer nuclear disaster, when the job is being done by themself. If we were completely cornered (like the Pakistanis are at present), them I would opt for a full fledged war too if covert ones will not fetch us the desired results.

Edit: I forgot to make the main point I wanted to make. However, even if we do such a covert operation (as suggested by Bangalorean), the OP's post still is valid... That is, We are not the US.. (whoever wants to comprehend it in whatever way)..

Last edited: May 16, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.