Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

'We need a Google alternative', says Kim Dotcom

Discussion in 'The Americas' started by Rock n Rolla, Jun 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rock n Rolla

Rock n Rolla Lt. Colonel STAR MEMBER

Internet mogul Kim Dotcom took to Twitter on Saturday to call for an EU-funded alternative to Google.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dotcom’s comments are a response to reports last week from The Guardian, The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal that a host of major Internet and telecom companies — including Google — are providing the National Security Agency direct access to Internet servers and swaths of phone data.

The companies have either vehemently denied or offered no comment on the allegations, despite the U.S. government’s attempts to explain the legality of its efforts.

The efficacy of a government-funded search engine might seem counterintuitive, given recent revelations about the NSA’s programs, but Dotcom offered his rationale to The Daily Caller via direct message.

"open source? funding doesn’t mean control. unfortunately twitter only allows so many characters. We need a google alternative. " he wrote.

Dotcom famously clashed in 2012 with New Zealand authorities operating on behalf of the U.S. government over his now-defunct cyberlocker MegaUpload.com.

He has since resurrected MegaUpload.com in the form of Mega.com.

Dotcom, however, is not alone in his outcry for alternatives to popular Internet services that have their origins in the U.S.

"The long term solution is that Europe should have a dot.com industry just like the United States,†F-Secure chief research officer Mikko Hypponen said to Reuters, “which would give us economic benefits but more importantly would make us independent of the wholesale surveillance of the U.S intelligence agencies."

F-Secure is a Finnish software security firm.

'We need a Google alternative,' says Kim Dotcom | The Daily Caller

1 person likes this.
  2. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    It will become another 'Bing' story.... :lol:

3. Rock n Rolla

I think Bing flopped because of Microsoft, look at Skype, Skype was good when it was not with Microsoft. :lol:

With the US, UK spying leaks and Google's name being on the list , I think he can give them a small shock, if he ever launches an alternative'.

4. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Alternatives for Google is not so easy. I think you know about baidu yeah, it was said to be the Google killer, lot of investment went in and it is leading search engine in China and south east, it couldn't get off also. But this guy seems to think he can pull rabbit out of the hat. It is never gonna work.

5. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Google tend to virus any alternative browsers, see Internet Explorer for details.

6. Megatroll

Megatroll FULL MEMBER

we also need a baidu like google alternative, possibly funded by the government like aadhaar. we already have a facebook alternative in beta available only in marathi laibhaari .COM .

7. tunguska

tunguska Major SENIOR MEMBER

Impossible to be rival of Google. Right now Google share 88.8% of Search engine traffic. After that Bing comes with 4.2%, then baidu with 3.5%, Yahoo with 2.4%. Even Bing results are powered by Google.

Further Google has gone far away with many service like YouTube, Google plus , blogger , Google website , Google customize business application service and many more service.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rock n Rolla

Never say impossible, Yahoo was in the top position till Google came & defeated them. There is always a possibility.

9. tunguska

Especially in this search engine market, Google has went far ahead than it’s competitors. You can check search engine market shares. When yahoo was on top, at that time –people were not finding everything their need on Search engine & internet users were also lower. And now with lot of software updates, Google has made their search engine service more effective and efficient than anyone else. That is why I am saying in near future let say (1o year) or so, not possible to be rival of Google.

10. Rock n Rolla

I know Google has become too big, but the possibility is always there, it's a case of who can offer the best services.

Orkut was toppled by Facebook, Yahoo was toppled by Google & I believe Google can be toppled too.

11. tunguska

In current scenario (mean up to 10 year), it is not possible even if someone try to work very hard. But once that competitor becomes mature in service, then and then he can offer serious rivalry to Google. And it required certain time period in order to get mature to offer the services. Right now Google services have become too mature and it requires tremendous effort to beat Google.

You are correct, face book beats the Orkut. But Google plus also now second largest social media and it is growing. The day is not far away for Face book again Google plus.

Report: Google+ Now 2nd-Biggest Social Network Worldwide

1 person likes this.
  12. omya

omya Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    wen ever i install chrome (shiity chrome) my firefox slowdowns

1 person likes this.
  13. omya

omya Lt. Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    n if u really want to look at google's success.. den dere real success is the only search engine ntn else....
    chrome = stolen firefox
    youtube, android = de bought it wasnt dere idea
    hangout = stolen wots app and kakao talk
    google+ = stolen myspace n facebuk

14. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    I don't have Firefox but this does not surprise me one bit.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.