Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Weekend debate: As a Londoner, I still don't care about terrorism- and you shouldn't either

Discussion in 'Defence Analysis' started by Levina, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Levina

Levina Colonel on stilettos Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    REUTERS
    As A Londoner, I Still Don’t Care About Terrorism — And You Shouldn’t Either

Nik Swami in NEWS 14h

As a Londoner who experienced this week’s terror attack at Westminster, I’m sure the terrorists were hoping I’d be shaking in my Chelsea boots. But honestly, I don’t care — because terrorism is blown way out of proportion. I can’t believe some people still don’t get it. That’s what the terrorists want: an irrational level of fear, anger and hatred. So, let’s be rational instead. The odds of being killed in a terrorist attack are one in 9.3 million, which means you’re 16 times more likely to be struck by lightning than you are to be killed by a terrorist attack.

You’re more likely to be killed by slipping in the shower. You’re more likely to be killed by falling down the stairs. You’re even more likely to be killed by choking on your food. Yeah, tacos are more dangerous than terrorists. The fact is, we accept risk in all areas of our lives every single day, and most of the time we don’t even think about it. So why is the world obsessed with terrorism?

There’s two main reasons. The first is because fear, anger and hatred are viral. Photos of bombings go viral. Videos of mass shootings go viral. Articles about the victims go viral. I’m telling you, the moment a polar bear starts dating Justin Bieber, climate change is going to go viral, too. We perceive terrorism to be everywhere, not because it is actually everywhere, but because we see it everywhere. It’s always on the news, there’s TV shows about it, it’s all over social media — and it shouldn’t be. I’m not saying terrorism isn’t important. I’m just saying we should treat it as an issue for the government and military to worry about, like North Korea having nuclear weapons.
    We’re more concerned with Kim Jong Un’s haircut than him defeating us, and that’s how it should be. We shouldn’t allow terrorism to poison our society to the extent that it has. Terrorism shouldn’t manipulate what we talk about, how we feel or how we treat each other because that’s what the terrorists want. We’re being suckers. We’re being baited into making everything they do go viral. The more viral it goes, the more fear, anger and hatred it generates in our society, which slimy politicians then exploit. ISIS wants the west to fear immigration. ISIS wants the west to hate Muslims. ISIS wants the west to ban burkhas. ISIS wants the west to call it Islamic terrorism.

ISIS wants the west to invade the Middle East. They want this because it plays into their “prophecy” that there’s going to be a world-ending war between the west and Islam. That’s how they’re continually recruiting new members. ISIS propaganda is successfully convincing the gullible the war has already begun. This is how they’ve grown from a small group of assholes in the Middle East to a large group of fighters, as well as individual ‘soldiers’ around the world who pledge allegiance to them when carrying out attacks. We’ve seen them in the United States, in France, in Belgium and now in England. We’re going to keep seeing them, even more so if we keep taking the bait and making their prophecy come true. Of course, the government and military have the most important job to do, but it’s also on us to fight terrorism, just without bullets, tanks and planes. The second reason why we deal with terrorism so irrationally is because it’s unexpected. Do you know how many people were killed by terrorism in recent years? Up to 28,000 people per year (2015). But guess how many were killed in car crashes. 1.3 million. 2.8 million people were killed by obesity. 7.5 million children were killed by hunger and preventable diseases.

But people don’t panic like they do with terrorism because the other deaths all seem, sadly, commonplace. I don’t see people changing their profile pictures for car crash victims. I don’t see politicians screaming about the need to eliminate obesity. I don’t see globally trending hashtags for starving children. We need to stop overreacting to terrorism, and under-reacting to everything else. Terrorists were smart enough to know that they could never beat nations’ militaries in a straight fight. So what did they do? They attacked the hearts and minds of those nation’s citizens. They’re trying to break us from the inside, and it’s an effective strategy, so we need to be smarter than them by staying strong together as one. That means replacing our fear, anger and hatred with love and tolerance. It means not being afraid.

http://elitedaily.com/news/londoner-why-we-fear-terrorism/1835643/

Inactive, PARIKRAMA and layman like this.
  2. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Funny enough it is going to affect the economy and everyone should care.

3. Levina

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    The guy is right on a lot of ocassions. He is right that we are being baited into watching terrorism related videos. It creates fear.

Not so long back I had requested Tarek Fatah to not post graphic videos of ISIS on his twitter account because doing so helps ISIS reach a larger audience.
    But alas! Tatek Fatah could not understand what I was trying to point at and accused me of trying to mute him.
    That earned me a lot of brick bats on twitter that day.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Project Dharma and PARIKRAMA like this.
  4. layman

Country Flag:
    United States
    Well ignoring it not going to solve the issue. Rather it will escalate the issue further till it becomes a nuance to the common people.

Passive or active responses has its own benifits and drawbacks.

Key is to recoganize the problem and a solution to fix the radicalism.

Inactive likes this.
  5. stephen cohen

stephen cohen Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Give Guns to all UK Muslims and then see the Fun

If they are lying low it is because they dont have weapons

Wolfpack likes this.
  6. Levina

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    Dont go by the title.
    The guy clearly says terrorism should not be ignored but at the same time it should not let effect us as much.
    The gist of it is, that we give too much importance to terrorists. Consequentially these terrorists get a lot of fan following.
    Take the example of Kashmir. Situation in Kashmir isn't as bad as it is made out to be. Burhan Wani achieved a martyr like status because we gave him more importance than he deserved.
    Remember I told you last night that a lot of recent incidents have been purposely not allowed to make big in media. This gives an impression that Kashmir is improving. In turn this will help in bringing normalcy to the valley.

PARIKRAMA likes this.
  7. layman

Country Flag:
    United States
    Sure it doesn't need exposure. And issue with U.K. is not like Kashmir. Here migrants are main issue. They suck out the economy (sorry migrants but facts speaks for itself) and create a mediocre living standards which results in these kinds of atrocities.

But without addressing the issue it is never going to end. And can't blame the media as they are there to sensitize the issue no matter how big or small it is.

If not social media the TV broadcast stations takes the helm of sensitizing the issue. Either the way the level or limits of exposure cannot be maintained in today's age of free media. That is the bottom line.

8. SpArK

SpArK SorCeroR Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

All the above are self inflicted and unfortunate but terrorism is motivated,planned and targets maximum casualties.

So people indeed should care about terrorism, its causes, its seeds of ideology and destroy it at source.

nair, Wolfpack, PARIKRAMA and 2 others like this.
  9. Levina

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    Sensationalism of terror attacks works like oxygen for its publicity.
    Graphic videos of beheadings filmed by Islamic State released on the internet have turned the group into a globally feared brand.
    Most of us didn't even know such a group existed till their videos were made public.
    There are researches which have concluded that suicide missions receive significantly more media coverage, and that explains their increased popularity among terrorist groups.
    All the recent attacks in Europe were mostly lone wolf attacks where the attackers knew the attack would be their sure shot ticket to death.

No.
    The article doesn't say it should not be addressed, just that it is government and the military's responsibility more than anybody else's.
    You have misunderstood it.
    It's NOT about putting on blinders but not giving terrorists extensive attention. They don't deserve it.

PARIKRAMA and layman like this.
  10. layman

Country Flag:
    United States
    Their objective to achieve media sensationalism is done by one way or the other. By Social Media or Broadcasts.
    Anything could be done to stop it not possible.
    They are very much known before the publicizing of the Videos, but their level of atrocities were not known until such time.

People do have sympathy for life of every human being and it is natural for them to heed to the Suicides, but there are studies now which says because of this people are no longer trusting each other in public or schools or events. IT is all because of social discord they wanted to create and it will achieve its goal no matter incident is publicized or not. If not publix=cized more such incidents will happen until such time it is noticed. But is in no way going to reduce or stop.

So you mean public should not be informed of the dangers that are lurking at their own backyards. It is Public responsibility not to heed to those such atrocities and report them as and when they come across.
    Extensive attention cannot be curtailed that is my point.

My Point is Media cannot be controlled in this regards no matter what.

PARIKRAMA and Levina like this.
  11. Levina

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    Not true.
    I live in a country where media is controlled by the agencies. Everything that I post on want whatsapp, and other social media groups gets filtered and moderated.
    Deportation and fine is another way of ensuring that anything against the establishment doesn't get any encouragement on social media.
    This is how they were successful in nipping Arab spring in the bud.
    From what I know you have lived in this country so you must have got the drift of it.
    Media can be controlled.
    Where there's a will there's way.

PARIKRAMA and layman like this.
  12. layman

Country Flag:
    United States
    Blanket media Ban or Full Censorship of media Including social and Broadcast is possible in a small town we call as city state where only limited channels are non biased with religion that can be controlled. ISP's are limited. Yes i have lived in that country and currently am there and do have business ventures there. Arab Spring was not even possible with that place as KSA and UAE were hand in hands to curtail any voices and moreover Arabs are fed with freebies to keep their voices down. Still people do communicate with their other means of encryption.

But in the case of free media like US or EU it not possible nor it is attainable to blanket ban censorship of media. Media powerhouses makes and breaks governments and presidents. You think the Imbecile Pres. Trump would have won if not for media and other timely releases of the news what has hampered clinton's trust.

Media powerhouses are bigger and far reaching than people can imagine. There are lot of examples where governments are brought to its knees with articulated and selective media releases. It is not easy nor even possible to control them.

Levina and PARIKRAMA like this.
  13. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Yes yes; "move along, ask no questions, just keep looking the other way"- the narrative the media and govt are so DESPERATLY trying to peddle the last few days. As Sadiq-the terrorist sympathiser-Khan (Mayor of London) says, terror attacks are just part of living in a big city.

They are trying to normalise these incidents instead of looking to tackle the root cause.

@BMD @Vergennes @Hellfire @Gessler @Ankit Kumar 001 @PARIKRAMA

Vergennes, SpArK, Inactive and 7 others like this.
  14. BMD

BMD Colonel ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    What he's basically trying to sell is the argument that being killed and maimed is normal. No sale.

15. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Like I said, the "elites" (media and politicans) are pushing hard to normalise these acts and sweep this incident under the carpet. Sadly, their narrative seems to be being accepted by many in the general population and they are repeating the meaningless rhetoric; "we will never bow down to these criminals", "terrorists can never win" (they already have IMHO), "you can't prevent all attacks"etc etc

It entirely absolves the security services of their failures but more worryingly entirely negates the opportunity to actually openly discuss WTF is going on in Europe with respect to the Muslim population.

What will it take for Europeans to wake up? How many 100s of innocents have to be slaughtered by these butchers on the streets?

Vergennes, Inactive, BMD and 3 others like this.