Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Weekend debate: As a Londoner, I still don't care about terrorism- and you shouldn't either

Discussion in 'Defence Analysis' started by Levina, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Inactive

Inactive Guest

And we have the author here :D

Naagraj likes this.
  2. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Though off topic, US economy faltered after Iraq War Afghan War. We lost the Cue with dumb decision of GWB.

Inactive likes this.
  3. Inactive

Inactive Guest

There are two opinions to that two. However, consideration of both tangibles and intangibles is a must for overall perspective.

The problem you have indicated was, perhaps, as a result of the Lehman domino effect..... that was not a direct consequence of the war if so.

An interesting (and frankly boring) read

https://bc.sas.upenn.edu/system/files/Satyanath_02.05.09.pdf

4. layman

layman Aurignacian STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Well cost of war 11T$ could have easily offset 10 such domino effect which was another mistake by feds to let it fall. And it started with bearstone.
    Though US still has a healthy economy though debt is bigger but comparing the US GDP it is much less that other prominent countries.

AbRaj and Inactive like this.
  5. Inactive

Inactive Guest

Exactly.

That is why I scoff at the bogey of PRC catching up and 'about to surpass' US or being a challenge to US! Not for next 4 decades provided US stays stagnant - which it won't.

layman likes this.
  6. Levina

Levina Colonel on stilettos Staff Member ADMINISTRATOR

Country Flag:
    United Arab Emirates
    This reminds me of Oregon shooter who said the more ppl I kill the more famous I become... or something to that effect.
    Hats off to the security officers who refused to give out the name to media outlets because this watered down the shooter's efforts to become "famous".
    The scores who watch such shootings and lone wolf terrorist attacks on TV and take inspiration to get a "grand exit" out of this world must realise that they would not get sordid attention they crave for.
    Had media shown only blurred pics of the attacker and avoided giving out his name then I'm sure media would have got no excuses to discuss him in great details.
    Governments across the world must sharply limit the coverage of the carnages that take place. Sensationalism and overkill in reporting makes a dangerous mockery of the public’s right to know. Just my humble opinion!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    layman likes this.
  7. Vergennes

Vergennes Strategist Staff Member MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    France
  8. Vergennes

Country Flag:
    France
    @Abingdonboy Of course not all muslims are terrorists. Not so long ago,don't remember where I read this,but I read something like "If there's 10 bottles of wine in front of me and that 1 is poisoned,I wouldn't dare to choose one". You can apply it here.

9. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Vergennes and Inactive like this.
  10. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Exactly but I also have to say this "not all Muslims are terrorists" line really gets to me. Not only is that the most obvious sentance in human history that even a total moron would not dare dispute BUT that is not the entirety of the issue. Terrorists are just the tip of the iceberg, they are the "violent" arm of the twisted ideology that is Islam, they are actively sheltered, aided and abbetted by their community. Terrorists are those that take the final step of acting on their backwards beliefs but ask the average Muslim about their views on freedom of religion, rights for women/homosexuals, the penalty for apostasy etc etc and you'll be shocked,the "moderate muslims" the media/ruling elite preach about constantly are a myth. I can't remember where I heard it but the best way to look at it is as concentric circles with terrorists in the centre with each layer going outward the adherance to Islam decreases but the numbers also decrease, most Muslims exist closer to the centre.

Weren't the Paris attackers walking around their neighbourhood in Molenbeek openly for weeks without a single member of their community informing the authorities?

To Muslims there are only two groups; the believers and the kafir, if you are the latter you are less than cattle (words of their glorious Prophet) and we can see this in the way they have acted towards the local populations in Europe (think Cologne, think Rotherham). Until the West understands how Muslims see the world this threat is only going to magnify.

Wolfpack, Vergennes, A_poster and 3 others like this.
  11. Nilgiri

Nilgiri Lieutenant GEO STRATEGIC ANALYST

Country Flag:
    India
    Canada is now seriously close to bringing an "anti-islamophobia" bill....which will be passed with as vague langauge as possible (to target free speech in the broadest terms). No such bill for any other anti-anything.

I am seriously going to move (probably south to US) if it passes and becomes something enforced (on especially red-pilled, progressive muslims who are a very valuable bridge to reality for all sides) . Sick of this one way-PC attitude...lib-tard fools dont realise what kind of reaction its going to create long term to continue to accommodate one-way special terms for just one group of people (who like it or not have a higher radicalised % and ignore radical % than every other community).

Soon in Canada you can mock and humiliate Jesus, hindu gods, buddha....you name it......but even criticizing mohammed, quran, allah etc or even just shariah etc gonna get you prosecuted. Welcome to the new lib-tard level playing field.

12. Inactive

Inactive Guest

While "not all Muslims are terrorists" is a valid statement, has anyone ever stopped to ponder over the reason why such a statement is being made/there is a need felt for it to be made? I am yet to come across a single instance in the History of World or Civilisations where a deliberate and apologetic statement has to be issued like this.

Even in World War 2, there was no attempt at differentiating between Nazis (who were the minority in real terms) and the ordinary Germans. In fact, even till date, every World War 2 movie shows the actor/actress claim that they are going to kill a few Germans. On the other hand, try that on any Afghan/Syria/AQ based movie.

It is always the minority which hijacks the narrative with their carefully crafted narrative and showcasing the desired narrative in a manner where it appeals to the majority and slowly replaces the narrative for the masses. If one was to collate the tenets of Sun Tzu, one would find that this stratagem sits very well with the dictum "The Supreme Art of War is to subdue the Enemy without Fighting".

If one was to carefully look at the attacks which have taken place in UK and other European nations, there is not a single instance wherein the attacker has not emanated from within the societies of the concerned countries. It is exclusive home based and home grown. How do you fight this asymmetric war, where your enemy is a covert neighbour and fellow country(wo)man?

Being apologetic is certainly not a way of doing so. No war is based on a concept of 'limited' conflict wherein the resource mobilisation and concentration of forces/effort is 'limited'. Every conflict, whether 'limited' in germs of geographical distribution, or objectives or time, needs a hundred percent mobilisations of resources and concentration of effort/forces. Hence, it is imperative to recognise that this large Muslim population is a significant threat to the host nation. The religious parameters of the teachings that are being spewed by Wahab money financed Mosques/Madrassas are a threat for any non conforming society. It is of utmost importance that the message is sent to this population that it is incumbent upon them to prove their conformity to the nation as opposed to the religion, and that they keep clear of any/all elements whose intent is against the national interest/nation.

This will put the fear in them, I agree. It may encourage outright hate crimes, that also is conceded. But that does not absolve the Government and the Society of the responsibility of protection. Hate crimes can be checked by equal ruthlessness against the perpetrators.

As long as societies do not take a conscious effort at addressing the problem and instead chooses to change the narrative to suit it's distorted perception, the society will continue to bleed and pay the price.

13. A_poster

A_poster Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India

I sometime wonder how much of Islamophobia propaganda is Liberal being pathologically retarded and racist, and how much of is it to mollify 1.6 Billion Muslim consumer base.

14. Vergennes

Country Flag:
    France
    @Abingdonboy @Hellfire @Nilgiri

I am afraid that nothing will change soon. In fact,we call all those far righters racists,nazis etc.,but the real nazis are all those leftists and liberals that supress free-speech and free thinking of those that have opinions different to theirs,either by attacking them or labelling them as 'racists,nazis'..... and this seems to work. When they run out of argument,their secret face-saving tool is to label anyone racist or nazis.

The real public dangers are also those antifas destroying everything and attacking people,literally,that don't share their views.

Maybe the true nazis aren't where we think they are ?

15. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    The ultimate irony is that the Islamic ideology is far more destructive and dangerous than Nazism but the left are protecting Islam from any scrutiny and embracing it with open arms (sometimes literally).

The left projects, they call everyone else racist but they are the ones that are fixated with race and can't seem to look past it, everything boils down to identity politics with them, they aren't interested in ideas.

+ mate, nothing will change soon, look at what has been happening in Europe for the past few years- what has been the result? A further demonisation of anyone that would dare question what the common link was between all these incidents and a further push to "protect" the poor innocent Muslims.

Wolfpack, Nilgiri and Inactive like this.