Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

What Head of State Helicopter option is best?

Discussion in 'Defence Analysis' started by Abingdonboy, Aug 18, 2017.

?

Which option is best?

1. Option 1 (AW-101)

28.0%
  2. Option 2 (S-92/H22M)

16.0%
  3. Option 3 (wait for IMRH)

56.0%
  1. Abingdonboy

Abingdonboy Major Technical Analyst

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    No doubt, first flight in 2021, production in 2025/6 and then it will be a number of years before the SPG will even consider it for the VVIP role.

It will easily be 2032+ before the IMRH could take over this role- 15 years from now!

2. ranadd

ranadd 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I voted for IMRH. Obviously.

And as per my information, this project is set to be a winner already. And progressing well. Engine details are murky, but nothing like Kaveri is expected. Well, that's what happens when you build upon the existing baseline designs.

However. It won't be selected even after getting the DGCA airworthiness certificate. For all HV asset transportation, the system should have a proven record. If I am not mistaken.

I have seen this said otherwise as well. But as far as I know, this requirement is set. And Home Ministry will not give a pass. Imagine if a flaw is found after this been in service. Worse, if anything happens during a HV asset transport.

HAL would be as good as done.

Abingdonboy likes this.
  3. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    It can be selected after it has proven itself in frontline service surely? AFAIK there is a minimum number of total fleet hours the MHA/SPG require before an a/c can be considered for HV transport, once that is done (say after 5 years) there's no reason the IMRH can't be ordered.

As @bharathp says, it would be the ultimate advertisment for the helo.

bharathp likes this.
  4. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Political messaging aside, for me it's a very easy choice, I'd reactivate the AW-101 option/deal. I think it's actually quite ridiculous that they haven't procured at least a couple of such helicopters on an emergency basis for the PM, and that he's flying in an Mi-8/17 FFS.

As for domestic products, those are far away from being a reality, and I don't consider it wise to gamble with your PM's life just to make a "Feel good" point about domestic products. Even when finally completed, the IMRH wouldn't have an established service record like the AW-101.

Abingdonboy likes this.
  5. Grevion

Grevion Professional Think Troll ELITE MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Reinstate the AW deal again, make it work. Get the remaining choppers, they are wonderful machines.

Also work on the IMRH and customize them as per Vvip needs so that we dont have to look at a foreign option in our future procurements.

Abingdonboy likes this.
  6. ranadd

Country Flag:
    India
    Again. Last I read, it was measured in hours flown. Not like it was in service here or something. It was more in line like, Proven service record of over XXXX hrs per unit.

Abingdonboy likes this.
  7. Vyom

Vyom Captain GEO STRATEGIC ANALYST

[​IMG]

8. ranadd

Country Flag:
    India
    Simply, No.

India cannot afford to keep "few" of those beauts in service.

9. Abingdonboy

Country Flag:
    United Kingdom
    Money isn't the real issue but the V-22 just isn't suitable:

1) It is too unsafe (it has quite an appaling safety record), it's for this reason it isn't allowed to fly the POTUS
    2) It is FAR too large and creates immense down draft and its exhausts are incredibly hot making the places it is able to land very few
    3) It's size also makes it an easier target, whilst hovering and with the nacelles pointed upwards it is very sluggish and would be unable to move quickly to avoid a hazard or threat.

10. ranadd

Country Flag:
    India
    For a poor country like India, money is THE issue. I worked for a heavy engineering company with lots of central and state government contracts. Loads of projects, needed and viable and useful projects, are curtailed just because money is required for something else.

11. A_poster

A_poster Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    As @Agent_47 has stated: Why not keep just three choppers we have exclusively for PM?

I mean we need choppers for other VVIPs like President and VP, but how many times does a President or VP need to use a chopper? I think, zero realistically as post of president is cremonial and he does not need to venture outside Rashtrapati Bhavan.

OR

Why not have non-weaponized AH-64's as VVIP transport? I know it is cramped and do not has any luxury of VVIP choppers, and PM has to be strapped in backseat to be ferried over short distance. BUT purely from safety pov, it is even better than established VVIP choppers, and could even survive a crash,if it happens.