Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

What would be the requirement of the IAF as per you in the current Decade?

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by smestarz, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shikari

Shikari 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

I agree with most of what you said but not the bolded part. I disagree because of three reasons and I'll try to name them as briefly as possible (I know people are not too patient when being challenged and don't want your concentration to drift off while reading this).

Firstly, we have no way of knowing that the AMCA will have "the same features like FGFA". In fact, it is widely believed that it will be a much lighter version of FGFA. From what I can tell, they will not even be the same class of aircraft (intended for different types of operations). Indeed, if we were going to make an exact replica of the FGFA, it would be stupid to spend billions on R&D - we'd simply make more FGFAs. As far as I am aware, there will be no limits on how many we can buy. An evolving country like India needs different aircrafts for different reasons (that it perhaps didn't need before) and your argument that LCA/MMRCA/MKI makes the AMCA obsolete is baseless. AMCA and the rest will be in a different class alltogether - they can never do some missions that the AMCA will be capable of. I think the AMCA will complement the FGFA as a smaller/lighter version just like the JSF is supposed to complement the F-22.

Secondly, the AMCA will be far cheaper (at least I think it will).Which will mean that we can buy more of them with the same defence budget. Now we NEED more than 250 5th generation fighters over the next "30 years". You think certain countries to our north will have made 250 over the next 30 years? Maybe 250 sounds ok now but you'll be singing a very different tune if China announces a plan to mass-produce 2000 J-20s by the end of the next decade. Unfortunately for those in MoD, they need to plan for such outcomes even if the common man looks at more immediate (but perhaps less serious) threats.

Lastly, as people have already pointed out before me, indegenous (or atleast semi-indegenous) production is compulsory for any country with a big army and plans to have a bigger one. Not only does it appeal to a patriotic chord but it is far cheaper and safer in the long run. It is important to remember that the FGFA contract was signed partly to gain sufficient knowledge about 5th gen platforms to help the AMCA program (and not as a replacement for AMCA). It would be slightly strange if they let go of AMCA now!!!

Lastly, I don't know how much HAL is helping in the PAK FA project (i thought they were helping in the current development too). But I'm not so sure about this. What I know is that even if they aren't helping in the design, they are very likely getting all the information relating to the project to help catch them up before they start work on FGFA (it is a very common business contract in every sector). I am sure they wouldn't rush into the AMCA if waiting a couple of years would improve the quality by a lot - believe it or not they aren't absolutely stupid (although it is easy for us to judge sitting in front of our computers crunching crisps).

To be honest with you, I want the AMCA to be progressing as fast as possible as I ardently believe it is necessary BUT I share your concern that maybe HAL is trying to get through it too fast and will only end up stalling the project.

2. vikas jat

vikas jat Captain SENIOR MEMBER

there are so many projects are taken BY HAL simultaneously .....can they able to deliver world class jet AMCA on time .........:sniper:

3. Sidharth Sain

Sidharth Sain REGISTERED

according to me we need 3 things..
    1. gutsy ministers- who have the willpower to take strong decisions to protect India from intruders.
    2. Put as much as money in joint development defense programs with russia and israel
    3. For god Sake let indian private defense manufacturer help HAL to complete project on time and fast..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.