Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Whats the Inventory OF PLAAF

Discussion in 'China & Asia Pacific' started by Star Wars, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Star Wars

Star Wars Captain SENIOR MEMBER

What is the complete inventory of PLAAF at this point in time ?

2. Vritra

Vritra Major ELITE MEMBER

Legacy aircraft in service:
    Chengdu J-7 => Approx. 600
    Nanchang Q-5 => 200+ (serviceable)
    Shenyang J-8 => 390
    Xian JH-7 => 70
    Total = 1260+

4th Generation + in service:
    Su-30MKK/MK2 => 150+
    Su-27/J-11 (All versions) = > 140+
    Chengdu J-10 => Estimated to be between 80-100, but as of March 2011, numbers could have climbed to 130+
    Total (Tentative figure) = 420+

Bombers:
    Xian H-6 (Badger bomber) => 100.

AEW&Cs => 9 (known)

Attack helicopters => (All versions) 80-90

UAVs/UCAVs => Unknown

Transport => 400+

Tankers/Aeriel Refueling Aircraft => 13

Other Helicoptes => 300+

So, in total (taking the largest estimates) = 2583+ aircraft in service with the PLAAF.

3. Katsuhiro

Katsuhiro FULL MEMBER

It does not matter because most of their military is used to suppress the voice and scare the nationals of their own country. Troubling and snatching other neighboring lands is also something that Chinese have added due to this over-confidence of a big air force. First the Senkaku shoto claimed from us, then the Spratly island and Parcel island from Vietnam, Philippines and Indonesia.

I will humbly agree that we Japanese were much careless about not considering other parts of Asia before. This was generally due to the high approach much of our leaders had in foreign policy which was only favoring the United States and the European countries. But now our leaders understand that common problem has to be solved within the region alone.

1 person likes this.
  4. MAFIAN GOD

MAFIAN GOD Captain SENIOR MEMBER

I have read on the internet that,PLAAF will transform itself into all 4+gen. aircraft inventory by 2020 keeping almost the same no. of fighters as they have today.
    That will be a huge and competitive airforce.

5. Star Wars

Star Wars Captain SENIOR MEMBER

they gonna build 1260 4+ generation aircrafts by 2020 ?

6. Shikari

Shikari 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Why not? They have the technology now. Their economy is doing great so money should not be a problem. And are you seriously questioning Chinese manufacturing capabilities? The only thing that is needed is political will and China has no shortage of that either. The Chinese don't make false threats so when they say they will do it, it is prudent to assume they will and plan accordingly.

7. MAFIAN GOD

MAFIAN GOD Captain SENIOR MEMBER

I have read that on the net itself.
    I tried to find the source but am unable to find one.
    I will post that as soon as possible.

8. Vritra

Vritra Major ELITE MEMBER

The J-7s are the only aircraft in their inventory that are in even remote need of replacement. If reports are accurate, J-10s/J-11s will take over the fighter/interceptor roles. The Q-5 and the Xian will stay in service till 2020 at least, probably longer. And the J-8 probably won't be retired till the J-20 enters operational status.

But they won't need to build 1260+ J-10s/J-11s, because both of them are considerably more capable than the J-7s/J-8s. I doubt we'll see even half that number built, because of a) the expense and b) the fact that the 4th+ gen fighters are significantly more capable than their precedents, so you won't need them in the same numbers.

9. Firemaster

Firemaster Captain STAR MEMBER

Agar political will ki baat hai then it can happen in India also

10. MiG-23MLD

MiG-23MLD Major SENIOR MEMBER

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  11. Katsuhiro

Katsuhiro FULL MEMBER

It maybe that the Chinese will make more modern war fighters with their economy doing better than most countries. Their non-democratic government means that they can as I would very unwillingly like to accept, take much fast decisions without the opinion of an opposition like our Diet, where decision of a ruling government and and opposition are always considered jointly. The Chinese manufacturing capability is lesser than us still but they are working hard and getting better.

What they lack is essential technologies to design military hardware on their own without obtaining designs of other countries especially their former Soviet friends. That is the only special ingredient missing in their potential. I am afraid we Japanese have to do much work before we can once again become as strong as we were during the imperial days against China.

12. shreyas_kn10

shreyas_kn10 FULL MEMBER

The problem with the chinese is that they show their true colour even in military... They can manufacture good stuff..... The problem is they try to copy good parts of others technology

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.