Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Which is best Dog fighter ..............

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by simplystupid, Jun 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smestarz

smestarz Lt. Colonel REGISTERED

Oh please, Hurricanes were being destroyed by Me-109 in dozens and there was no way the Hurricane could compete against Me-109 or the much better FW-190, Hurricane had 4 canon that was good firepower but its engine did not have enough power to make it good fighter, on other hand Me-109 was much better dog fighter. And the record shows in France, in Battle of Britain Me-109 were mainly shot by Spitfires.
    But if you go my numbers., Me-109 has destroyed more planes than any other plane in histpry !!!

2. Vritra

Vritra Major ELITE MEMBER

So basically, you know nothing about the Hurricane, nor why I picked it over the Spitfire.

The Me-109 was a challenge, sure, but the Hurricanes weren't being 'destroyed in dozens'. The Hurricanes, in fact, were putting up a very good fight the RAF pilots would deliberately challenge the Germans at a lower altitude to take full advantage of the Hurricane's excellent speed and rate of turn, which was better on both fronts than the Me-109. The Spitfire and the Hurricane both could out turn the Me-109s: the difference is that the Spitfire was fast enough to give chase when the Luftwaffe ran.

Know anything about the RAF campaign in Greece, Palestine, Syria, etc? They didn't have too many Spitfires over there to take on the full force of the Luftwaffe out there. No, it was 14 hurricanes that fought the Battle of Athens against about 10 times that number of 109s and 110s. It was the remaining 9 that made it out of there (having taken down about 30 Luftwaffe birds, mostly 109s) that held the front while the Allied soldiers retreated, while the ships pulled out.

There wasn't any question of competing with the 190 because it was a much more modern aircraft. The Hurricane was built using the same tech used to make biplanes, while Spitfires and 190s were engineered using much more contemporary methods.

Yeah... it used the exact same engine as the Spitfire, the famous Merlin. It wasn't until much later in the war that they began supercharging Hurricane engines to give it Spitfire-esque power, but it was no lame duck even before that. And the reason it wasn't as blisteringly quick was it wasn't as slippery as the Spitfire. And I believe i've already countered your Me-109 argument.

...While the Hurricane shot down more Luftwaffe fights in total, of which Me-109s were quite a huge part of. The higher attrition rate of the Hurricanes owes to the fact that back then, almost all Luftwaffe bombers and heavy fighters had tail gunners, which the Hurricanes were tasked with cutting down. The Spitfire, meanwhile, had only to deal mainly with air superiority missions, and seeing as they were overmatched with the 109s this wasn't much of a problem.

Here the main difference between the Hurricane and the Spitfire starts to show, and it is why I like it so much: it was durable and adaptable as hell, while the Spitfire wasn't. The Hurricane required few modifications for different conditions, be it desert, night fighting, bombing, even maritime duties. The Spitfire, on the other hand, wasn't as adaptable, so it required extensive modifications just to let it clear the carrier deck. Which it still couldn't do efficiently, despite all the modifications.

Fat lot of good that did. It destroyed the most planes because of a)force of numbers and b) the Luftwaffe took most enemy air forces by surprise, not giving them enough time to react, and even when they did surprising them with how far ahead technologically the 109s were. By the time the war had reached it's middle stages, however, the 109 was as outclassed on every arena as the Hurricane.

I didn't, in the first place, suggest Hurricane was a better dogfighter than the Spitfire. Though they complemented each other, comparing the two is like comparing a greyhound with a mongrel. But given the choice of which aircraft I like more, I chose Hurricane.

As far as pure dogfighting capabilities is concerned, the Yakovlev Yak-3 has my vote.

[​IMG]

3. xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx

xXX-Nair:::Saab-XXx Major SENIOR MEMBER

DigVijay Singh :wub:

4. illuminatidinesh

illuminatidinesh 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

[​IMG]
    U mean this?????

The best was [​IMG]

5. Skull and Bones

Skull and Bones Doctor Death Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    World's first multirole aircraft, and maybe the first aircraft with an onboard radar.

De-Havilland Mosquito.

[​IMG]

6. smestarz

You might call it the first Allied plane with Radar, the germans were using Heinkel He-219 Uhu with radar and heavy equipment and this is posting about BEST DOG FIGHTER. but yes Diggi qualifies.

7. simplystupid

simplystupid Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

how about adding Kapil to this list ?

8. smestarz

I don't know much abt Yak-3, but sorry, Hurricane does not come closer to Me-109 or Focke wulf.

9. Star Wars

Star Wars Captain SENIOR MEMBER

[​IMG]

Focke-Wulf Fw 190

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  10. Young Wolf

Young Wolf 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

potential wise, it would have to be the mig 29, in competent hands it has to be the best dogfighter made......unfortunately its record is tarnished by repeated failures in combat which had nothing to do with the aircraft in itself but the incompetent pilots who were flying it

11. simplystupid

simplystupid Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  12. GUNS-N- ROSES

GUNS-N- ROSES Major SENIOR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    no one comes close to p-51 mustangs and spit fires.

13. smestarz

Well I might add Kapil and also entire congress party, and maybe BJP
    Democracy is only discussion,,, nothing actually happens does it?
    We hear or so many crimes by politicians, how many are actually punished?

14. smestarz

yess....

15. Vidyanshu

Vidyanshu Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.