Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Who funds Indian Media

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by abirbec04, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Major SENIOR MEMBER

Oh I know how much they pay.....very very well. While most newspaper owners will go into fits if they get a page full of govt. organization ads (newsprint is expensive and big papers actually import it and govt. advertising never makes up for the high cost).Now when you start a newspaper I'm sure you will find ways of running it with govt. advertising alone but as of today it isn't really great shakes for the owners. Helps them be in good books, get sound bytes etc. You know how much money private sector pays to media houses? The cost of an IPL final is usually about 10 LAKHS per 30 secs. You think any govt. will ever pay that to a media house? The jains (who own the TOI group) are said to rake in several hundred crores per year in PURE PROFITS. And VSTOL is saying how these guys can be 'bought off' with some shitty house in lyutens delhi at 'cheap rents'? Just WTF are you guys talking about man? They can buy Lyutens delhi if they want to.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. Guynextdoor

@ VSTOL Indu Jain who heads times group has a net worth of $2.3 Billion (70,000 Crores) and you were telling me something about some house in lyutens delhi at cheap rates or something...

3. Himanshu Pandey

Himanshu Pandey Don't get mad, get even. STAR MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    again you missed the point... and yes govt. paid the same rate to news paper for their ads to be published... if they will not news paper will make a case of unfair practices and threat, making business hard and dictating a free body etc charges against govt. and hope you know we are a democracy where you don't got shot if you refuse.. so govt. pay and use same time and space rate as others..

yes TOI is a big news paper and Jains are billionaire but I and V?stol were not talking about jain but we were talking about the reporters, anchors, columnist they hier for their news paper... they got bought

1 person likes this.
  4. Guynextdoor

Man why are you going round and round without comprehending what I'm saying. GOVT DOES NOT pay same rate to all publication. They fix rates basis ABC and their rates are much much lesser than what the private sector pays (many many times lesser)- NOT EUQAL BUT LESSER. And the editors and journalists of most of these papers are very, very well paid. Smalltime/junior reporters can never override their editors so there's no point in going after them is there? This whole thread was started with a BS post full of lies and you're going on and on and on about it. According to the 1st post some world christian council has 'funded' 80% of TOI. You mean 80% of Indu Jain's 2 B wealth- 1.6 Billion came from this 'council'. This is a troll thread full of BS and pointless speculation.

5. Himanshu Pandey

Country Flag:
    India
    I stand only for what I say not with BS with which a thread got started... on less payment by government... may you provide any source or credential link for this... until then I will belive in equality to all.

waiting for source from your side which says govt. pays less then other

6. Guynextdoor

Rate card of a newspaper called deccan herald. All private players pay rates from 700 to 1800 per sq cm depending upon the position of their ad while the govt. rate (called 'DAVP' rates- for Department of Audio Visual Production) is at Rs.93 per sq cm. I'm sure that even at rate YOU will run a very succeful newspaper, rest of the media world would rather keep govt. ads at a minimum. If you come up with some more troll ideas refuting it, don't expect me to waste time explaining more. If you want to get more clarity- GOOGLE IT YOURSELF.

http://www.deccanherald.com/readpdf.php

7. Himanshu Pandey

Country Flag:
    India
    kk I agree with you now see this too please( and if somebody differ from you it doesn't mean trolling.. sometime we belive in things and they get proved wrong nothing like world ending.. so stop blame game of troll)

DNA exclusive: DAVP’s rate bonanza for print media

With a view to woo the print media before the 2014 general elections, the government is likely to announce a mega bonanza for the newspaper industry by aligning the DAVP advertisement rate to the market rates.

A working group committee for the 12th plan headed by Rajiv Takru, additional secretary, ministry of information and broadcasting has proposed that the government should think of aligning the print media advertisement rates with market prices.

The decision if implemented will do away with the current practice of paying of 15% commission to agency.

“Internally the I&B ministry had discussed this, and it was proposed that the advertisement rates for the print media should be market linked”, said a senior official in the I&B ministry.

The I&B ministry has also asked for an increased budgetary outlay Rs100 crore per year during the 12th plan as compared to Rs87 crore in the year 2011-12.

“We need to have higher budget to carry out various campaigns for promoting government schemes in the media. That is why there is a need of higher budgetary allocation”, added the official.

According to government figures, the print media industry had an estimated size Rs64,600 crore in 2010 and has a growth rate of 1-10% per annum. By 2015, the size of the industry is likely to reach Rs 1,19,900 crore, at an average growth rate of 13.20% . The advertisement revenue accounts for almost 76% of the total revenue for the print media, while the remaining amount is generated through subscription income.

DNA exclusive: DAVP’s rate bonanza for print media - India - DNA

8. Himanshu Pandey

Country Flag:
    India
    you told me to do the research and the research I had done....
    now please see pdf files on the link ... it shows 2815601780 rs spend by govt. from 1st april 2012 to 10 jan 2013.... and if you visit the link you will get the idea how much gov. had spent in last several years

.:: Expenditure Report: Directorate of Audio & Visual Publicity (Ministry of Information & Broadcasting) ::.

this is govt. site and now this doesn't include the political advertisement and festival wishes, birthday wishes by various parties...

Now do the math

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  9. Guynextdoor

'rate bonanza' doesn't mean it matches private sector. And a large amount of money doesn't mean the cost per unit of space recieves it's due. The news report you quoted itself says that till now the DAVP rates were not equal to market rates and a major policy shift is being considered. That proves that till now it was not in line with market rates. Now go figure. And we really need to see how govt. rates will 'match' print rates anyway.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  10. Himanshu Pandey

Country Flag:
    India
    use mind sometimes... it will be very good for you... just because I or others stand for something doesn't put you in opposite direction. the rate are for govt. tenders and publications in print media and it does not include the full page ad in which congress pays respect to all the dead Nehru-Gandhi family and not the thanks in gives to SG and RG.

and then there is electronic media which charge everything on market rate...(hope you remember the congress ads running on various channels against Gujrat and Modi... those are not govt. funded and aired in prime time which means a lot of money goes in electronic media from congress....)

now there are businessman/politicians who provide advertisements to electronic media and this part of business has a lot more weight then any other.. with so many congress businessman and their money assuming the media is free is just like assuming that mars is going to invade the earth

11. Guynextdoor

ALL GOVT ADS ARE AT GOVT RATES. You said govt. uses these funds to blackmail media. The rest of the money is congress party funds, even BJP spends big. Now, stop trolling on things you know nothings about.

12. Himanshu Pandey

Country Flag:
    India
    yes I am stopping to reply you on this thread because it is impossible to talk sense with somebody who have problems in hearing and understanding.

I quit from further non-productive and blame game debate with you.

RIP

13. Mahesh Alkunte

Mahesh Alkunte 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

14. Guynextdoor

RIP Amen. I can't understand why you think the congress will withold money from top publications where they get the visibility they need to drive votes. If Sonia Gandhi's picture is supposed to be plastered on a full page- THAT'S COZ THEY WANT PEOPLE TO SEE THAT SG HAS DONE THIS AND THAT. Anyway discussion closed.

15. grond

grond Captain SENIOR MEMBER

[MENTION=208]Guynextdoor[/MENTION] : just a doubt ... Govt Ads containing a photo of the pm also invariably contain a photo of Sonia Gandhi ... Who pays for that , if it's the govt then the govt is paying for sonia's publicity ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.