Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Who funds Indian Media

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by abirbec04, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abirbec04

abirbec04 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Turner Broadcasting adds to its TV holdings in India
    The Time Warner unit will pay $126.5 million for a 92% stake in the popular NDTV Imagine channel and some smaller assets.
    December 17, 2009|By Joe Flint

Further expanding its reach in India, Time Warner Inc.'s Turner Broadcasting is shelling out $126.5 million for a 92% stake in NDTV Imagine, a popular Hindi general entertainment channel, and some smaller assets.

Turner already owns several networks in India, including versions of CNN and Cartoon Network. It also owns Pogo, a children's channel.

"India continues to be a key priority for us," said Steve Marcopoto, president of Turner Broadcasting's Asia Pacific unit.

Besides NDTV Imagine, Turner is taking control of NDTV Imagine Pictures, a movie production company, and a couple of smaller networks. The parent of NDTV Imagine is New Delhi Television, a closely held Indian broadcaster headed by husband-and-wife team Prannoy and Radhika Roy that owns dozens of channels.

Time Warner this year spent $240 million for a stake in CME, Central Europe's largest television programmer.

NDTV (New Delhi TeleVision) - India national news TV network

So Turner only owns stake in NDTV Imagine not in NDTV news channel. You are busted my friend. Same as what happened yesterday.

2. abirbec04

3. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Lt. Colonel SENIOR MEMBER

Ya I know, 'hidden ownership patterns' that no one in the planet knew about- including many publicly listed companies reveled through an anonymous blog.
    We all thought that CNN was owned by the turners- No $800 MILLION - almost one billion worth of funding comes from some baptist missionary organizations. Funny why that was never disclosed coz it's all supposed to come out in disclosure clauses for listed companies in the US. Besides, even the Vatican would find it difficult to cough up 800 million a year- I wonder which super duper organization this is that can bring out this cash?

Times Group is owned by Bennett & Coleman. 'World Christian Council does 80 percent of the Funding

It's owned by the Jain brothers with a few other closely held family members maybe a few outsiders- but it's a small group. The old lady jain was recently rumored to be the richest in the world but she quickly rubbished it. No world council can 'fund' TOI. Times Now their TV CHanel. NDTV- Largely the Roys. Extremely rich. It takes about 250 Crores to launch a new hindi enttertainment channel whch they coughed up 2 years ago to start NDTV Imagine. So you calculate their wealth.

The Hindu
    English daily, started over 125 years has been recently taken over by Joshua Society, Berne, Switzerland. N. Ram's wife is a Swiss national.

The Hindu was and is one of the most respected organizations in tthe country. Remains with ram and WTF does 'taken over' mean? Indian media isn't eve listed. It's worth a couple of thousand crores at least and has generally been a conservative family- journalism remains a 'family thing'

Yada Yada Yada.

The blog was created to defend a freak trying to escape a scandal. Why was that being used to malign Indian media?

2 people like this.
  4. Guynextdoor

Turner was vice-chairman and Time Warner's biggest stock holder. It is estimated he lost as much as $7 billion when the stock collapsed in the wake of the merger. He stepped down as vice chairman in 2006. When asked about buying back his former assets, he replies that he can't afford them now.[19]

5. abirbec04

What has this go to do with NDTV? :lol:

6. abirbec04

Where are your sources man?

I gave sources to each post - whether some of them are correct or wrong is up for debate. Thats why the forum exist. Everyone knows Jain brothers own Bennett and Coleman but tell me about Roberto Mondio and supply the source.

And Outlook is definitely a credible source, besides you started belittling the great MIT Professor and intellectual extra-ordinaire Noam Chomsky as well. I am not sure what you are trying to say in your posts.

Where are your sources about NDTV as the Turners only own stake in NDTV Imagine not in NDTV itself. Chrystal clear.

7. Veer

Veer 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Guys cool down plz., before commenting on anything further just read and think about following:

a.) Do you really think that the facts about Indian media as put up by "abirbec04" are incorrect????

No they are 90% true. I can say that because i about particular subject inside out. So i know what I'm talking.

b.) The above list of "abirbec04" is about India English Language Media only and not have a single name of Malayalam, Tamil, Telgu, Bangla or Hindi media. Nobody is raising figure on any regional media or Indian language media.

c.) Its a known fact that certain ruling elite in India always act or think against India or their action harm India's interest.

d.) Its also true that certain elements in the west have malafied intentions to maline India or its image.

1 person likes this.
  8. Guynextdoor

Then where are YOUR links? Turner owning a stak in CNN IBN & even NDTV imagine is possible but what does it prove? WHere's your proof that Turner is actually southern baptist church except that silly little blog designed to defend nityananda?

9. Guynextdoor

So Airbec's comments are 90% corect and that Hindu has been taken over by Joshua group, CNN IBN gets $ 800 M from southern baptist church (or whatever), TOI gets 80% 'funding' (Do you even know how much money it takes to run a paper) form christian organizations. And the jains, who we thought were famous oly their absolute greed for cash are actually poor little kittens. Last time I heard they threw people into shredders if they came in the way of pure profits.

10. abirbec04

NDTV News is not NDTV Imagine ......... two very different channels. Hell one is a news channel in English and the other is a Hindi entertainment channel. But you said Turner owns NDTV - incorrect as Turner owns 92 percent stake in NDTV Imagine.

We are talking about news media not entertainment. Can't you differentiate between the two. All my sources are posted as links. Where are your sources. It is not a question of Turner being southern baptist church, if he doesn't own NDTV then can he be the representative of the Southern Baptist Church or whatever?

I don't understand anything you have said as the first post you put up advertisement figures to state some grand point - WTF. Can you write in plain english what you are trying to say otherwise it is getting difficult to decipher your cryptic language. Besides I don't have any ENIGMA machines with me. :lol:

11. Guynextdoor

While you keep harping on outlook and chomsky the fact is that they are general reflections on decline of journalistic quality. The say that newspapers are trashy, have their own agenda...Your entire argument about 'ownership patterns of Indian media' that makes all kinds of unsubstantiated allegations about how TOI is owned by this and midday is owned by that comes from a trashy little blog designed to sheild a scandal infested swami. You can't use outlook to bolster the claims of those allegations. Outlook never said that- you, on the other hand, are trying to promote those claims under the halo of another outllok magazine report.

12. ek_indian

ek_indian Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Basically no one is too interested whether they are "technically" correct or not. However I for one believe our English media is biased. I am putting some links. Just go through the titles of them.

Senior RSS leader named in Ajmer blast chargesheet - Rediff.com India News

RSS leader's name figures in chargesheet in Ajmer blast case

The Hindu : News / National : Ajmer blast case: RSS leader's name figures in charge sheet

All of them give a somewhat different impression from reality. The man is not named in culprits. However below links are even wrong on technical grounds.

RSS leader chargesheeted in Ajmer blast case - The Times of India

RSS leader linked to Ajmer shrine blast - Hindustan Times

Yes. That's interesting but true. The biasness exist only in English media at this level.

I can not comment on traitorship. However I am convinced that entire English media bashes one political party even when it is not required.

May be. But is out media who is towing that line.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  13. Guynextdoor

Very smart. And maybe you can go back to your posts and check that I never said that turner owned NDTV-I said turner owned CNN. And then you started ranting about turner, NDTV imagine.

14. Guynextdoor

^^^ & I have further backed up my statement that till 2006, Ted Turner was the single largest shareholder for CNN (not some church). Now if you want to go on a joyride and say that post 2006 a church infiltrated and took over the comapny....

15. abirbec04

Turner Networks does not own CNN IBN. It is owned by Global Broadcast Networks ok. Turner only was given 26 percent stake to let GBN use the CNN brand name. You are lying through your teeth.

"Cable News Network-Indian Broadcasting Network (CNN-IBN) is an English-language Indian TV news channel. The network is a partnership between Global Broadcast News (GBN) and Turner International (Turner) in India (a subsidiary of Time Warner). Rajdeep Sardesai is the Editor-in-Chief of the network. The Indian company GBN runs the channel completely but uses the CNN brand name, in return gave 26 percent stake to Time Warner." - Wiki

CNN-IBN - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is your grand defense that CNN-IBN is owned Turner - 26 percent = ownership - WOW? Why are you even in a debate when you do not tell a single truth. :lol:

Give one single source to any one of your claims or whatever. Who cares about that nut-case Nityananda.

There are other blogs which say the same thing. Besides, Outlook is not a source valid enough for you, MIT Professors have started becoming bigots for you. I don't know who you are? Are you omnipotent Allah?

I still need the Enigma machine. :lol:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.