Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Who funds Indian Media

Discussion in 'National Politics' started by abirbec04, Oct 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abirbec04

abirbec04 Captain SENIOR MEMBER

Oh you are still stuck with the first post :lol:

Noam Chomsky and Outlook comes later. :lol:

By this rate you will end up reading the whole post next month. See you till then. :lol:

2. brain_dead

brain_dead Captain SENIOR MEMBER

exactly.
    it answered my query too.
    u know i always used to woned why channels like headlines today and cnn-ibn are all so againt-a particular community and a particular political party.
    every week or month, u would see them doing a new sting operations of a particular community and political party.
    though i knew it earlier too, but now its been confirmed.

1 person likes this.
  3. abirbec04

I don't think all of it is exactly true as per the blog but the crux of the matter is clear - one can go into details of shares of 20 percent to 30 percent but would it change the editorial content?

Its the editorial content that is most diparaging but it is getting exposed. Italy's Prime Minister Berlusconi owns 70 percent of their media houses and look even after an extensive record of criminal allegations, including mafia collusion, false accounting, tax fraud, corruption and bribery of police officers and judges, he is the prime minster of Italy, why - because he owns the media.

Media is the tool everyone wants to own.

4. abirbec04

So are you an accountant of the Paper or a party? :lol:

You seem to know about these matters like the palm of your hand. I will probably send my tax calculations to you next year. :lol:

5. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor Lt. Colonel SENIOR MEMBER

Media is a tool everyone wants to own...but most people can't. The billions and billions needed to be even a noted player for these houses defies the imagination. Even Bill Gates can't 'influence' turner- he has can't 'buy out' a newscorp. This game is for rich & wealthy people whose only job is making money- and they rarely compromise that objective. A relegious group may want to influence any media house but the businessmen aren't gonna play around with their cash- they'll give out content that people want. Period. A berlusconni had to go through all that to keep his media empire intact- you think a church can manage that? No way. Besides where's the cash? Let alone a few millions, most relegious groups that manage hundreds of tousands will be considered rich. And who are they up against- a Ted Turner who AFTER losing SEVEN BILLION dollars is still one of the richest men on the planet. No one except businessmen can survive in this game and they aren't in this for charity.

1 person likes this.
  6. abirbec04

Church can manage a lot more. They have a history of doing it for 2000 years. Don't get into the Church debate here you won't be able to logically debate me about that subject. :lol:

FYI - Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal owns a 7 percent stake in News Corp — the parent company of Fox News — making him the largest shareholder outside the family of News Corp CEO Rupert Murdoch. The bastion of right wing anti-islam media outlet has a Saudi Prince stake-holder. After he came aboard I have seen a clear shift in their editorial content. :lol:

7. Guynextdoor

That 'shift in editorial content' was sure not because of the saudi price-it was to boost TRPs. No saudi prince is worth a loss in audience. If you're implying that the saudi prince automatically brings relegious idelogy, that's ridiculous. The sauds, more than most monarchs, are the most ruthless businessmen on the planet. No wonder they decided to park their cash with the eminently profitable murdochs.

PS- EVen the church with 2000 years of existance can't scratch the murdochs. That's media.

8. brain_dead

i dont what u two guys are debating about.
    funding(advertisements etc.) and controlling/influencing are two totally different things.
    i give u one example. i use to visit an anti-islamic website called faithfreedom.org , and many a times, i would see advertisements like - how to become a muslim, visit mecca.. etc etc.
    the website is hardcore anti-islamic, and yet they publish advertisements teaching people how to convert to Islam.

so comparing the funding/advertisement part with the controlling/influencing is very absurd.

9. abirbec04

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps that would seem possible in an Utopian society. Sadly ours aint one. The Saudis are "fierce businessmen" as you say but they are "fierce terrorist supporters" as well. Osama himself is a Saudi and most of the Terrorist Organizations draw a sizable amount from their Saudi Counterparts.

You might be fascinated by the wealth of the Saudis, sadly I am not. They are known for their excess largess and notoriety starting from horses, to their car fetish and women. I personally know an account of a Saudi Prince here in Lexington, Kentucky, the horse capital of the world - that prince splurged 2 million dollars in 3 days on women, booze and orgies. He actually paid the state of Kentucky, USA an exorbitant amount of 20,000 dollars just to park his personal jet in the Bluegrass Airport, which was illegal.

10. Karthic Sri

Karthic Sri <b>STAR MEMBER of the MONTH</b> SENIOR MEMBER

Did you not understand wht he is trying to tell or you willingly have put your blinders on.??

Let me tell you the crux of it in simple English.

• Fox news - one of the most anti-islamic,right wing media in US
    • Saudi Prince buys it
    • The editorial content becomes less of right wing,in essence it became less anti-islamic.

Now comparing this with :

• Outlook was a magazine with a little of a pro-BJP tilt.
    • NDTV under Mr.Prannoy Roy and Burkha Dutt buy it out
    • Almost immediately after that articles of HIndu terror,BJP communalisation, RSS fascism start to come out regularly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bottom line is the editorial content and the tone of the news reporting hugely is influenced by who is the owner of the media group..Is this clear now ?

And you have not still provided the sources to dispute the thread starter's claim.

1 person likes this.
  11. desiman

desiman Lieutenant ELITE MEMBER

Wow this is amazing, Im thinking of making this a sticky

1 person likes this.
  12. brain_dead

do it sir. we need to have a sticky thread for our media .

i hope that was not a sarcastic comment. :fie:

13. desiman

desiman Lieutenant ELITE MEMBER

Done, we really need to inform our citizens about the ridiculously biased media. Channels like NDTV work against the nation and should be taken to court for propagating anti-national material and inciting religious hatred.

2 people like this.
  14. abirbec04

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ..........

Me too dude ........... I also have no clue what the point is about his posts. He started off with advertisement rates and I am still trying to understand whats the point?

Perhaps I need something more than ENIGMA. :lol:

15. Guynextdoor

You think so? You thnk Fox news will let a shareholder define it's edit policy? THese are Business Operations FIRST. Make no mistake about it. Their FIRST priority is to the shareholder- not some kooky ideology.
    I don't think fox was 'anti islamic' but probably lots of coverage about islamic fundamentalism might have been there before. If they cut it down, that's because their research shows viewers want something else. And why not? It's been a theme for 10 years rght? WIth US pulling out etc., naturally people are inetersted in other things. Hell they have a survey almost every month and every story even to see if readers are interested.The saudi prince is not there for charity- he's there for his ROI. Period.

And let me give you a fact that you won't be able to digest soon. If NDTV is serving out 'secular' stories that's because majority of Indians believe in that idelogy. These aren't the DD days buddy people can switch channels at will if ALL major TV channels are giving in the same kind of reporting, that's because that's the kind of society most indians want to live in. It didn't become the number one channel in the country by trying to promote some idelogy- it reached there by refleting whta most people beleive in.

WHile you guys live in conspiracy worlds where media 'defines' how people think and how chritian/jewish/muslim organizations fund it from behind- that's your fantasy only. Let me put a spoiler on your thinking. In many parts of the world 'Media' doesn't have enough power mould minds- lots of times they just reflect soceity-that's definitely the case with India. In India where there are 40 something TV channels, each trying to fight for the same audience and share, no TV channel can waste it's trying to promote one idelogy or another- there's MONEY inovolved- CRORES AND CRORES of it. You don't mess around with that kind of business- You secure maximum people to realize revenues. Think about it- if most Indians felt strongly about RSS/BJP then what stops one of the top TV channels from breaking ranks and going after 'pseudo secularists'? Why? Becuase right wingers are the moniroty and no one wants to know or do anything with the BJP.
    Now either you can go to noam chomksy or face the truth and the turth is....BUSINESS ARE PROFIT ORIENTED ORGANIZATIONS AND THEY DON'T MESS AROUND.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.