Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Why Don’t We Remember The Cholas?

Discussion in 'General History' started by Agent_47, Sep 10, 2017.

1. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    Even my heart swells with pride when I read about them.

Levina and zebra7 like this.
  2. _Anonymous_

_Anonymous_ IDF NewBie

Country Flag:
    India
    I'd focus on the latter half of your post .In less than 4 centuries , that part of the map towards the SE turned green.It wasn't as sudden as the capitulation of Iran to the Arab hordes nor was it a long drawn out process lasting centuries .Meanwhile the north of the area ruled by the Cholas at around the same time the SE of the map started turning green , was also turning green .
    Incidentally , one of the little known puzzles of Indian history is while the Cholas were busy with their naval expeditions and their land based conquests along the eastern rim of mainland India , in the early 11th century , Mahmud Ghaznavi was busy with his 17 expeditions looting & pillaging N & W India .
    There's been no convincing explanation for why the Cholas didn't attempt conquests up North & Western India.
    Perhaps , one of the reasons why their greatness is not well known & consigned to the footnotes in the annals of Indian history .

Levina likes this.
  3. Guynextdoor

Guynextdoor BANNED BANNED

cholas are hardly forgotten. It is prominent in teaching of history in the south.

Levina likes this.