Dismiss Notice
Welcome to IDF- Indian Defence Forum , register for free to join this friendly community of defence enthusiastic from around the world. Make your opinion heard and appreciated.

Why Indian Air Force May Best Chinese Jets In An Air Battle Over Tibet

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Hellfire, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Golden_Rule

Golden_Rule Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

[​IMG]

this SBTF is on land at Goa

Angel Eyes likes this.
  2. Hellfire

Hellfire Devil's Advocate Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India

Project Varsha is on similar lines and we do have our own underground airbases at Izzatnagar, Adampur to name two.

3. Vyom

Vyom Captain GEO STRATEGIC ANALYST

1. Chinese have Mid air re-fuelers, but not in the numbers it would need to .
    2. Most air bases are in the mainland and east of the 15 - Inch Ishoyet that's quite a flight to get to the combat zone over TAR.
    3. Less pilot Fatigue should be advantageous for us.
    4. Even if they refuel mid air, they will have to engage a greater number of Fighters.
    5. They may not run out of fuel but they will run out of ammo and have to re load for which they have to make the arduous journey back.
    6. With Average height of TAR at 4000 mts take-off performance will get diminished, it is a fact
    Having said that the majority of Chinese fighters are
    1. The Nanchang Q-5 (1970)
    2. The Shenyang J-8 (1980)
    3. The Xian JH-7 (1992)
    4. The Shenyang J-11 (1998) *Su 27 Copies (Questionable radar and avionics and Mid Air refueling capacity in only the latest versions since late 2016)
    5. EDIT : The Chengdu J-10 (Single engined with Saturn AL31, 240 nos built till date, Point defence aircraft)
    6. The Su 30 MKK (75 odd birds with mid air refueling)
    While most of them have got upgrades but not in the capacity that, they would rival those in the Indian arsenal. The only credible deterrent/threat are the J 10, J-11 and Su 30MKK. Rest are jets which should have been retired ages ago. Those listed in first 3 points are the only source of Chinese numerical superiority.

My 2 cents.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  4. Agent_47

Agent_47 Admin - Blog Staff Member MODERATOR

Country Flag:
    India
    How could you miss Lavi.

[​IMG]

surya kiran and Sahil ecclstone like this.
  5. An Indian

An Indian 2nd Lieutant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Thank you. Something about this didn't feel quite right. This was exactly the question that was in my mind. thank you for responding.

Hellfire likes this.
  6. randomradio

randomradio Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

Theoretically, yes. Practically, it will just get bombed.

Catapults require a lot of additional infrastructure, including power. Apart from being expensive, it will also be easy to locate due to the presence of infrastructure.

Anyway, none of the Chinese fighters are capable of Catobar operation anyway. :D
    So it's not an option today.

Wolfpack and X_Killer like this.
  7. randomradio

randomradio Mod Staff Member MODERATOR

They have 2x the number of Flankers we do and they also have the J-10.

But the main Chinese advantages are the large number of CMs and TBMs which can threaten our very presence in the NE.

Agent_47 and Lion of Rajputana like this.
  8. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    This is a question I've had for a long time after reading about Chinese plans for some sort of "saturation strike" on Indian forces and especially IAF bases; how do we plan to cope with such a barrage of missiles (S-400?), and more importantly, would we be able to retaliate in a similar manner to threaten Chinese Ops (especially their Air Force and airfields in Tibet) in the area?

9. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    compared to IAF's 400+ 4th gen fighters, Chinese have over 1000+. These 4th gen are not a worry for India but the other 2000+ 3rd gen are a worry. If you know the air battle tactics of PLAAF, you will realise that they use massed forces or large formations to overwhelm and saturate the opponent with low cost fighters like F-7s etc. You can't re-load missiles in air. Plus they employ tactics like ramming the aircraft itself. I had given a detailed description of it on LSA thread. The Lanchester's equations are correct even for air battles. With every IAF 4 Gen fighter shot down, PLAAF will acquire disproportionate advantage. And after couple of weeks, IAF may not have even one fighter to take to air. Even if we shoot down 2000+ PLAAF aircraft with our 400+ fighters, PLAAF will be left with over 1000+ and that will change the whole game. I hope you know that Jags can't operate in that sector.

snehil aditya and Angel Eyes like this.
  10. Lion of Rajputana

Lion of Rajputana Captain FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    United States
    Realistically, how much of their fleet would they be able to deploy against India when they have Russia up North and the US & its allies to the East? Also, wouldn't India's air defense play a role in such a conflict? Or are they so antiquated/unprepared that they don't even factor in a conflict?

P.S.: I saw you mention your detailed write up in the LSA thread, I tried finding it but couldn't, any chance you could link it here or tell me which page of the thread it's on?

Angel Eyes likes this.
  11. vstol jockey

vstol jockey Colonel MILITARY STRATEGIST

Country Flag:
    India
    Air assets can be rapidly moved between theatres of war so their deployment is not a problem. Chinese do not need to put anything against Russia or Japan at this moment. They can place all their air assets in Tibet or along Indian border.

12. Vyom

Vyom Captain GEO STRATEGIC ANALYST

Post Edited.

13. Sancho

Sancho Lt. Colonel Technical Analyst

His job is reporting news and ideally with a named source to make his report credible, which he did. He didn't state his opinion, nor was it his analysis, so don't shoot the messenger. :smile:

14. Veeran

Veeran Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    Maybe we should create some conflicts with China in other nations. And force them to divide their resources.

Angel Eyes likes this.
  15. Veeran

Veeran Lieutenant FULL MEMBER

Country Flag:
    India
    I think our 400 jets have a higher ceiling than their old 3 gen fighters no, so we can shoot them down from the top and also prevent from being rammed by flying high no ?

I think what you are mentioning can be summed up as a numerical kamikaze attack.

I'm not scared of China however, but I'm scared of how the west might attack us if our war resources are reduced. There's even some 100000 close non-Indian foreign soldiers in our nation. And how will we control the population if the army get reduced?? They could be easily maniuplated by false flag attacks. All these gives me nightmare scenarious.

Angel Eyes likes this.